Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

Remember that story about the official history of Aston Villa video having a team photo of Burnley on the front?

(or was it the other way round?)

Villa's strips in my time alternate so much a "Villa strip" isn't really defined except the colours. Claret and Blue then any shirt selection on Kick Off 2 will do.

Sleeves, stripes, cluster fuck and nowt.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

Remember that story about the official history of Aston Villa video having a team photo of Burnley on the front?

(or was it the other way round?)

Villa's strips in my time alternate so much a "Villa strip" isn't really defined except the colours. Claret and Blue then any shirt selection on Kick Off 2 will do.

Sleeves, stripes, cluster fuck and nowt.

I am in my mid 50s and in my time, the only years we haven't had claret body and blue sleeves are 2019 (Grealish), 99-2000 (Merson), 93-94 (Dean Saunders), and 83-89 (blame Ellis).

I've spent the last three hours drinking wine and watching ancient matches on YouTube, so am nostalgic and teary.

For Villa fans, those of my age, the answer (below) is probably the same amongst most of us, but i was wondering what the answer would be for other teams.

What's the best away team you've ever seen at SJP? What's the one team you saw in the flesh that you still think about now?

40 years ago I was lucky enough to see this lot at our place in the European Cup QF.

A truly excellent game, and they were just stunning. Platini played a ball through to Boniek to score which is genuinely one of the finest balls I've ever seen played.

Proper moody atmosphere, too, lots of Brum based Italians all round the ground, stabbings and all sorts. What a side, though.

Also Gordon Cowans, with a magnificent shuffle and seconds later he's scoring. A fine son of the north east.

Sometimes I don't think football will ever really be as good again as it used to be.

juve.jpg

Edited by brummie

8 minutes ago, brummie said:

I've spent the last three hours drinking wine and watching ancient matches on YouTube, so am nostalgic and teary.

For Villa fans, those of my age, the answer (below) is probably the same amongst most of us, but i was wondering what the answer would be for other teams.

What's the best away team you've ever seen at SJP? What's the one team you saw in the flesh that you still think about now?

40 years ago I was lucky enough to see this lot at our place in the European Cup QF.

A truly excellent game, and they were just stunning. Platini played a ball through to Boniek to score which is genuinely one of the finest balls I've ever seen played.

Proper moody atmosphere, too, lots of Brum based Italians all round the ground, stabbings and all sorts. What a side, though.

Also Gordon Cowans, with a magnificent shuffle and seconds later he's scoring. A fine son of the north east.

Sometimes I don't think football will ever really be as good again as it used to be.

juve.jpg

Probably the best at SJP I remember was Barcelona in the second group stage of the CL in 2003. We were good that season, and needed to beat them (and hope Inter dropped points) to go through, but they were just a class above.

Recent Pep teams and some of the ManU teams will be up there too though. Used to be amazed by the speed Ferguson's teams would counter-attack, something could really appreciate in the flesh from the Milburn.

edit:

never mind, I just checked and Barca came 6th in La Liga that year :lol:

Edited by Superior Acuña

Just now, Superior Acuña said:

Probably the best at SJP I remember was Barcelona in the second group stage of the CL in 2003. We were good that season, and needed to beat them (and hope Inter dropped points) to go through, but they were just a class above.

Recent Pep teams and some of the ManU teams will be up there too though. Used to be amazed by the speed Ferguson's teams would counter-attack, something could really appreciate in the flesh from the Milburn.

The thing about Ferguson's teams is exactly that, the number of times I thought we'd beaten them, and they'd just counter attack from absolutely nowhere. They never, ever gave up.

I hate Man United, but you've got to admire that.

15 minutes ago, brummie said:

juve.jpg

Living in the US since 98 but attending games between 82 and 98. I'd have to say the best visiting side off the top of my head would have to be Liverpool in 87/88. They beat us 4-1, Lawrenson in the twilight of his career barely broke sweat and we were honestly fortunate not to concede 8 or 9 that day. They were a fucking sensational side that season.

On another note, one of the best performances by a team in any game I saw was also Liverpool in 1982 at Goodison. Beat Everton 5-0, had I think 2 maybe 3 goals disallowed, hit the woodwork 2-3 times, Hansen galloping forward playing 25 yards through balls. On a muddy shit pitch in an away derby game. Ridiculous.

Speaking generally rather than specifics of one match, that Everton team which won the title in the mid 80s was superb, if we hadn't been banned from Europe, I reckon they'd have won the European Cup.

22 minutes ago, brummie said:

juve.jpg

That Juve side is outrageous.

Just now, brummie said:

Speaking generally rather than specifics of one match, that Everton team which won the title in the mid 80s was superb, if we hadn't been banned from Europe, I reckon they'd have won the European Cup.

In that specific era, 84-87, Liverpool had a dip and they were perfectly placed. For those 3 years they were something else, well balanced and relentless with brilliant strikers. I think Sharp is one of the most underrated strikers of the 80s.

36 minutes ago, brummie said:

From a younger perspective I'd probably say Guardiola's 2017-18 100 point Man City side. Never went into a game like I did that night before or since; just full of fear of the opposition. We could hardly get near them, though the gap between us who were just recently promoted and them who had won 17 out of 18 matches, drawing the other, was gargantuan regardless. But I'd probably say them. At a lower level also remember being impressed by Fulham in the 2016-17 Championship season, they completely played us off the park at SJP.

Asked me fatha before and he says Ferguson's Man Utd between 2003 and 2008. We got twatted a lot; 2-6, 1-5, 1-3. They were frightening on the break.

9 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Rather than postponing you'd think it would be better to just flip the fixture with the return one.

I said the exact same thing 

Edit # Burnley refused to switch it # 

Edited by Ben

11 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

The collar on that Villa shirt is awful. 

6 hours ago, brummie said:

I've spent the last three hours drinking wine and watching ancient matches on YouTube, so am nostalgic and teary

This shirt come up? 

Loved Villa '82, Morley, Withe and Shaw

Mind, prior to that, I was all over' 78 WBA. 

Regis, Cunningham, Robson, Trewick, 

2nd team, obvs

PW-AV1-scaled-e1663594977590.jpg

Edited by Groundhog63