1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, Nine said:

The world cup break will benefit us massively 

Can see why some aren't sure as part of our form (argument how much) is momentum a break for WC can possibly disrupt that. Hard to know really. 

For me, the really exciting thing is that the pieces of the entire jigsaw are coming together. It's not just Eddie. It's not just the players. Although both of these are improving week by week, it's also the other foundational aspects. Dan Ashworth, Darren Eales, the coaching and medical staff... everyone seems to know what they're doing and are singing from the same hymn sheet. Listen to the soundbites we now get frequently and contrast that to what came before - either deafening silence or cringing embarrassment. No one can deny that the communications have been improved beyond measure. 

This season (and maybe even the next) was always going to be slightly transitional in so far as a) we're probably not going to actually win anything but... b) holy shit, we might!... even if it's some form of European qualification. But Rome wasn't built in a day and if we truly have dreams of becoming a club with sustained success, then we need to sit tight for a while and maintain our own important role in all this; keep supporting the team. Which is especially easy for us compared to before, now that we see the ever-expanding returns. 

And let the other clubs / "experts" speak of money, unfair advantages, moving to bloody London etc. It's the same with any up and coming team. There's always an unhinged reaction before the inevitable acceptance. It's just noise to me. 

So yes, talk of being 7th for now. But get ready for another conversation entirely in a few years. 

22 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Can see why some aren't sure as part of our form (argument how much) is momentum a break for WC can possibly disrupt that. Hard to know really. 

What like the momentum break between seasons? ?, we’re good, getting better. Eddie won’t settle for anything less :indi:

17 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Think we’ll finish 8th still. But for fun I want to make the argument for why we will finish 4th.

1 No European football meaning we can concentrate fully in domestic football.

2 Howe has admitted that he still hasn’t got us up to speed yet. We’ve been so good the tbh ought of further improvement is mind blowing.

3 The World Cup. In one way it’s a negative to break momentum but I have faith in Howe to manage the fitness and mentality of our squad so that actually it should be a benefit. We get to regroup, rest and recharge as we don’t have to any players going to Qatar. With our front-foot all’s action style of play, the time off will pay dividends by the end of the season, those players playing European club football and international World Cup will surely suffer hugely from fatigue.

4 I can see Willock potentially going on a goal scoring run. He’s getting in to good positions, onvce he’s for the mark, I think he’ll go on a run.

5 Anderson playing a bigger and bigger role as the season goes on. Howe is bedding him in slowly, but he looks like he has real potential. And technically is very good.

6 with the rumour mill picking up again, it looks like we”ll be making signings in January.

People really need to manage their expectations with Anderson. He has potential but to have him listed as a possible reason why we could finish 4th instead of 8th? Calm down ffs. :lol:

Anderson does look good, but he's not a big factor. We just need to get ASM and Isak on the pitch. ASM still leads the team with shot creating actions from open play and is joint top with Miggy with goal creating actions. That's with him only being on the pitch for four games (!!) Given how different he is to Wilson, Isak has made a great start and looks like he'll do the business.

I think we'll finish in the European places.

1 hour ago, Pata said:

People really need to manage their expectations with Anderson. He has potential but to have him listed as a possible reason why we could finish 4th instead of 8th? Calm down ffs. :lol:

Yes, I feel that I don't know enough about him, his strengths and weaknesses etc, yet.

Also, at his age it can (and will) change from what he is now . . hopefully in an 'upwards' direction.

However, I am optimistic that he could save the club quite a few £millions in transfer fees, in fact I am pretty sure he will.

It will be a year or two yet though, before we will know precisely, but the current signs are very good though!

My post wasn't at all a dig at Anderson, he's an exciting talent but the teams who are fighting for top 4 have £50-100m players on the same positions, even on the bench. It's just not fair to say that a 19-year-old kid who's yet to score or assist a PL goal could be our joker card in the fight for top 4.

2 hours ago, nufcjmc said:

When I said benefits us I should have specified I meant on fitness levels, the question on momentum is just something we will have to wait and see on.. the team will have ideas on how to keep the players that don’t travel focused enough. 

Edited by Nine

I would say the WC is definitely a plus for us. Not that many of our players are going and we have a lot thinner squad that now gets a six week rest/another pre-season. Also possible January additions get to play more games than they would in a normal season.

We have the momentum on our side but it's not as important as it was in the second half of last season. We are legit playing well now and fully 'deserve' the good results. NUFC are 5th on the expected points table, behind Brighton but ahead of teams like Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea.

27 minutes ago, Holloway said:

All things considered,surely 8th is a bit pessimistic.

Is this the match thread :tard:

i don’t think so , are still early into the season , I’m not getting carried away with the table yet , ask me at the 30 games mark mate and if we are still say 6th I’d be delighted. We aren’t a fourth placed team or squad yet . Let’s keep our feet on the ground .

Mind , win tomorrow and I want the title [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, GWN said:

i don’t think so , are still early into the season , I’m not getting carried away with the table yet , ask me at the 30 games mark mate and if we are still say 6th I’d be delighted. We aren’t a fourth placed team or squad yet . Let’s keep our feet on the ground .

Mind , win tomorrow and I want the title [emoji38]

I know we haven't the depth just yet,but with the system in place and Eddie at the helm, I just can't see us being squeezed out of 7th by W Ham or anyone else. High profile attackers returning, the sheer momentum, the WC break to further our bonding and energy levels,I'm looking to break the top 6

10 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Wherever the league takes us I’d love to win a cup this year to give the likes of Lascelles a fitting send off.

having said that I had a feeling back with Bobby that our first trophy since the dinosaurs was going to be the Champions League and maybe this will still be the case next year…

I could see us winning the Europa League if we had a bigger squad. If we were in Europe this season we would be fucked and finish midtable. I'd rather do well in the league for now so we can build the squad then take Europe when the squad is ready.  Unless we sign 6 or 7 players before the start of next season and we did get into Europe we would struggle with our squad 

2 hours ago, Nine said:

When I said benefits us I should have specified I meant on fitness levels, the question on momentum is just something we will have to wait and see on.. the team will have ideas on how to keep the players that don’t travel focused enough. 

Certainly wasn't disagreeing with your overall point just see why people would disagree. Our form hasn't been just this season if you look at our form in isolation from the Jan onwards we have been right up there. Also I saw in the Wilson and bruno interviews there saying similar things to Howe one game at a time, keep feet on the ground. 

While your right we have a break to have a mini preseason get those out still or with knocks rested and back to full fitness. Also with most of the team compared to other sides staying home it gives a chance to further develop our style and partnerships. In the same token the break can be used by other teams to take stock etc especially those showing lack of form/consistency ie West ham, Liverpool etc and could lead to a much different level of competition up at the top. 

Edited by nufcjmc

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

I could see us winning the Europa League if we had a bigger squad. If we were in Europe this season we would be fucked and finish midtable. I'd rather do well in the league for now so we can build the squad then take Europe when the squad is ready.  Unless we sign 6 or 7 players before the start of next season and we did get into Europe we would struggle with our squad 

I agree Europe could make next season a struggle for us, but nevertheless we can't get it soon enough in my opinion. A bit like this season, my only concern is if people forget that and get ahead of themselves.

1 hour ago, Miggys First Goal said:

We’re winning a cup this season. FA or League. Think the owners will splash more cash in January to ensure that happens. 

How much do you need to spend to guarantee a cup win then? 

A lengthy cup run is the worst thing that can happen for our top 6/7 aspirations

Edited by Nine

9 minutes ago, Nine said:

How much do you need to spend to guarantee a cup win then? 

A lengthy cup run is the worst thing that can happen for our top 6/7 aspirations

I'd trade a decade of top 4 places for a FAC win. As it stands, 7th would be a let down, we should crush that easily.

I keep saying this, but we aren't Ashley's any more. Let's stop trotting out the tired old Pardewism about cups being distractions. We should be aiming to win stuff, not cow our heads before the 'Sky 6'.

Let's enjoy upsetting the entitled established order instead of defeating ourselves before we start. We are bigger than Spurs, Man City and Chelsea. We just had an absolute handbrake of an owner and didn't have as much money. Until now...

7th is still the priority for me. Knocking one of the 6 out won't be easy like so I'm not going to put myself in a position where if we didn't do it I'd be disappointed. 7th is massive for us and if it isn't us winning a cup we should be hoping the top 6 win both so 7th is a European spot again. 7th and a cup run is doable for us and should be the goal. 

9 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I'd trade a decade of top 4 places for a FAC win. As it stands, 7th would be a let down, we should crush that easily.

I keep saying this, but we aren't Ashley's any more. Let's stop trotting out the tired old Pardewism about cups being distractions. We should be aiming to win stuff, not cow our heads before the 'Sky 6'.

Let's enjoy upsetting the entitled established order instead of defeating ourselves before we start. We are bigger than Spurs, Man City and Chelsea. We just had an absolute handbrake of an owner and didn't have as much money. Until now...

Think you have taken my post a bit to literally there, im saying a cup run being an extra run of games that will add the percentages of injuries up and tire our high intensity game out towards the end of the season.

Im being realistic and looking at things pragmatically, not just saying 'yeah we'll be top 4 and win a cup because we arnt owned by Ashley anymore'. Lets not label things as 'Pardewism or Ashleyism' just because its not the overly positive reaction that some people seem to be expecting already, lets keep it realistic. You perceiving my post the way you did is exactly the type stuff that gets us labelled as deluded, bigger than City and Chelsea? Not on the pitch (where being 'big' counts) for a very long time. 

Edited by Nine