Title - o - metre  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

Say we achieve a miraculous result and end up in champions league places, what are peoples thoughts on the repercussions of that. 

I imagine it will bring forward spending plans, the champions league income will help us with ffp, but also the significant extra workload on the players. How would this affect peoples expectations. Look at West Ham, they are really struggling this season partially because last season they got to european final and it exhausted the squad (from a west ham fan I know's explanation at least) and now competing on too many fronts.

I would anticipate going out in group stages and ending up in europa league in first season, even with boosting squad would think managing a bigger squad which rotates more, i think we could have a little tougher of a season. I wouldn't be upset, even if we do that well this year does not mean will always be the case and will be steady going before we are consistently pushing for top 3 spaces. 

I do worry though, what happens if Howe really struggles first european campaign and out league form suffers too because of it? I hope owners and fans will be patient, but...will they?

27 minutes ago, TRon said:

Anything less than CL will feel like a failure now. That would have sounded insane at the start of the season.

It will but I'm sure we would all be happy with a Europa League campaign. Though, the way our side is which is to be the fittest in the league and the fact a lot of our players have a nice break would suggest we will be better over the 2nd half of the season.

What's the lowest league finish to qualify for Europe assuming top teams win the cups? 7th? The rate we're going we'll be vastly disappointed with the Europa Conference League :lol:

Imagine being told that a year ago.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

2 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Say we achieve a miraculous result and end up in champions league places, what are peoples thoughts on the repercussions of that. 

The what? None of that thinking around here dude. 

Even Celtic go to the CL every year. 

There is no downside. Up we go.

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

The what? None of that thinking around here dude. 

Even Celtic go to the CL every year. 

There is no downside. Up we go.

That's a shit ton of cash. There is NO downside to going to the CL. Fuck, purposely bow out of the league cup if need be. 

Two first half goals conceded in fifteen matches. Only seven meaningful goals conceded, three vs. City, two vs. Liverpool, Wolves, and Bournemouth. In the other eleven games, we got seven clean sheets and conceded one (Soton, Brentford, Fulham, Spurs) when we were already at least two up. That's no meaningful goals conceded in 11 out of 15 games.

Vs. "Top 6" + Brighton

D Brighton A 

D City H

L Liverpool A
D Man U A

W Spurs A

W Chelsea H

P6 W2 D3 L1  F7 A6 9 pts = 1.5 points a game, in the most difficult fixtures. Three clean sheets and a consolation goal to Spurs in them. We just beat Chelsea effectively without Callum Wilson.

Because its NUFC, disbelief and historical attitudes about our natural place or what we should expect abound, but everything else says we're going to finish in the Top 4.

1 hour ago, FinnMag said:

The best thing about this season's success is that it was done without so called mega acquisitions. There are some teams below us with starting XI builded by ridicilous amount of money…

I’d love to see the comparison for today’s lineups. There was the one a few weeks ago where our attack, midfield, and defense were all very much below our opponent’s (was it Man U?) respective lineup. 

10 hours ago, Tiresias said:

I imagine it will bring forward spending plans, the champions league income will help us with ffp, but also the significant extra workload on the players. How would this affect peoples expectations. Look at West Ham, they are really struggling this season partially because last season they got to european final and it exhausted the squad (from a west ham fan I know's explanation at least) and now competing on too many fronts.

I would anticipate going out in group stages and ending up in europa league in first season, even with boosting squad would think managing a bigger squad which rotates more, i think we could have a little tougher of a season. I wouldn't be upset, even if we do that well this year does not mean will always be the case and will be steady going before we are consistently pushing for top 3 spaces. 

I do worry though, what happens if Howe really struggles first european campaign and out league form suffers too because of it? I hope owners and fans will be patient, but...will they?

This is why I think we'll look to sign 2 or 3 at least in January. The obvious benefit is the push for Europe but it also allows a few more players bedded into the squad this season. Signing 1 in January and then qualifying means we need major numbers in the summer which Howe clearly won't want to do as it risks the harmony.

2 hours ago, cubaricho said:

I’d love to see the comparison for today’s lineups. There was the one a few weeks ago where our attack, midfield, and defense were all very much below our opponent’s (was it Man U?) respective lineup. 

:lol:  These are just the ones they brought on in the second half.

Pulisic - £58m

Havertz - £72m

Cucurella - £62m

Ziyech - £38m

Our starting lineup cost more though.  Most of their players came through the academy.

Edited by Troll