The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

20 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Well they did go for Allardyce first but I think you're right; you'd think the next England manager is going to be 'grown' in the same way Southgate was via his work in youth development, the creation of St George's Park and managing the Under-21s.

No idea who it is though; Carsley? One of Southgate's current coaches? I wouldn't be astonished if someone like Henderson was being groomed to come in after the Euros. He's been a regular in the set up since pre-St George's. Maybe they'd try and get Rooney involved. 

I forget Allardyce was manager tbf. 

Think there’ll be a few current players they would look to build into the role in the future but if Southgate left now, I think it would be Steve Holland. I’d be a little worried that there’d be a bit of a clamour for Gerrard to be given it. 

My one lasting memory of Terry at this point is sitting in the away end at Stamford Bridge right after the Anton Ferdinand stuff broke and all of us chanting “John Terry hates you!” over and over every time a non-white Chelsea player touched the ball.

Edited by oldtype

2 minutes ago, Ste said:

I forget Allardyce was manager tbf. 

Think there’ll be a few current players they would look to build into the role in the future but if Southgate left now, I think it would be Steve Holland. I’d be a little worried that there’d be a bit of a clamour for Gerrard to be given it. 

I suppose I have missed the feeling of actively wanting my team to lose. :lol:

Surely any proper team is safe from Gerrard after that Villa fiasco, though. 

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:
6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Thank God that's the end of Southgate's time as manager. Totally uninspiring.

He's getting a new contract 100%.

I don't think that's necessary and I say that as a fan. His current one ends after the Euros and I think it's fair enough all round if he's given that tournament and then the situation is reviewed. 

So he should. There are plenty of perfectly valid criticisms, but overall he has done a good job. The players clearly love him and are willing to give 100%. He has helped us get over a number of psychological hurdles. Let’s be honest there isn’t a clear and obvious candidate waiting in the wings.

2 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Uninspiring :lol:

By an absolute mile the most inspiring England set-up in my lifetime, almost in my dad's lifetime. God yeah, can't wait to see the back of going deep into every tournament.

1990? 1996?

2 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Uninspiring :lol:

By an absolute mile the most inspiring England set-up in my lifetime, almost in my dad's lifetime. God yeah, can't wait to see the back of going deep into every tournament.

100% literally nobody else could do any better, im convinced we'll win the next Euros, just unlucky tonight, we could play them again tomorrow and win 3 0

Thought we played well overall honestly and consistently found space through France’s midfield. 

A minor complaint was that the Sterling sub was poor, thought he was well off the pace and a waste of time.

The most frustrating thing to me is that I don’t think this France team are that good. This tournament was such a huge opportunity for England.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Southgate has been vile like. World Cup semi-finals, European Cup final, going toe to toe with reigning Champions this time around. Hound him out.

i know, but analyse each of those games and he makes crucial errors. well, imho anyway.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Southgate has been vile like. World Cup semi-finals, European Cup final, going toe to toe with reigning Champions this time around. Hound him out.

Hand on heart, do you think we will win something under him? I don't.

6 minutes ago, Collage said:

1990? 1996?

This team has blown those out of the water man, they were both one tournament and done, with two complete disasters in between. Semi final, final, quarter final in consecutive tournaments is completely unprecedented.

Only in England would someone so wildly successful relative to what has gone before get so much ludicrous stick.

We keep getting told that he learns from each setback. What did he learn from losing the euro final? Make sure Henderson plays more? Get your centre backs to pass it between themselves for half an hour?

every time we face a decent team we lose. There’s zero evidence he’s learning anything.

1 minute ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

His subs were odd as usual, but England was clearly the better team today.

Apart from the Argentina game, all the worse sides went through imo. This World Cup is deserving of a Croatia v Morocco final. Get a new winner.