Newcastle United 1-0 Bournemouth (20/12/2022)

Disco

7 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Trippier plays some lovely balls into space , which would be ideal for a right footer to cross first time 

Yet Almiron always has to cut back and good defenders know this. 

Yeah, even if he's scored some great goals this season we'll have to upgrade on Miggy in the next few windows. 

11 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Atmosphere was terrible again (same as the palace cup game) - It’s strange how 51,000 people can make such little noise or want to get involved (Strawberry corner always give it a go and could be heard trying to get things going in the second half)

Wasn't there last night, but was at the Palace game. There is a noticeable difference, but I largely think that's due to the presence of families/young kids. Which I don't think is a bad thing, just have to accept the atmosphere will suffer a little for it. Have to convert the young'uns early. Even if they spend most of their early games (pre-teen at least) bored/sitting on their hands.

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Agreed with Wilson being offside, thought Willock was definitely interfering with play. No idea why it took so long to flag.

Thought the handball was a clear pen to us.

i was near the linesman - as soon as it went in you could see he was communicating with the ref. My interpretation was that he saw Willock was offside but needed to consult with the ref whether he was interfering. He then raised when they’d decided he was.

25 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Wasn't there last night, but was at the Palace game. There is a noticeable difference, but I largely think that's due to the presence of families/young kids. Which I don't think is a bad thing, just have to accept the atmosphere will suffer a little for it. Have to convert the young'uns early. Even if they spend most of their early games (pre-teen at least) bored/sitting on their hands.

It was better than the Palace game. The Gallowgate got a good rendition of Eddie Howes black and white army going for a good 5-10 mins at the start of the 2nd half which most of the ground seemed to join in with and there was pockets of singing around the Gallowgate but we just have to accept that these games will see loads of kids and families there (which is a good thing) and with the best will in the world they won't replicate the usual league atmosphere.

If we get a home draw next with a place in the Semis at stake it'll be completely different.

Edited by Wallsendmag

Yeah Strawberry corner was pretty decent but you’d expect it to be. 

Burn is immense for us but there were times where you could see that a more attacking fullback would create more for us going forward particularly when there isn’t a designated winger playing left side. I think this might be addressed next summer.

It's a surprise to me that Target hasn't worked his way back into the team.

He's probably better defensively than he is going forward so asking him to do what Burn does when we have the ball and form part of a flat back three doesn't seem like it would be at all hard for him.

Would allow us to be much more flexible within a game, switching to him being more of an attacking full back if we're struggling to create and want to change it up for ten minutes or so or if we need to chase the game late.

I imagine Howe expected us to lose momentum at some point so he would shuffle the squad around and Target would be natural one to rotate in, then the squad never lost momentum. Feel sorry for Target he's not really put a foot wrong

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Could maybe do with some Wor Flags presence if we get another home draw. The non-regulars at Cup games tend to not want to sound daft if they chant or sing. Plenty at league games are like that too.

Problem with the flags is that it creates a great atmosphere before the game starts, and then everything disappears at kick off. 

Not an easy one to solve like, think it’s mainly down to the team to provide some action early on. 

56 minutes ago, joeyt said:

The Wor Miggy flag was the wrong way round last night

Aye noticed this :lol:

Re the atmosphere I was near the back of the Gallowgate and there were plenty trying to get songs going back there but mostly they didn't take off much. Was a few bursts where the crowd were a bit radge/loud, but very flat overall. Agree it was probs down to a lot of kids and the action on the pitch not being particularly inspiring. 

What @Kid Icarus said about people being embarrassed to join in too much is probably the case, I used to be a bit like this until I went to more away games where you're singing for 90 minutes, so I do generally join in with quite a bit at home as well now. No real solution to the issue, cup games will always be a different crowd.