The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Villa, Arsenal and Leeds game are the only dropped points in the last 11 games. You could argue Villa was a bad day at the office and Arsenal we were a bit unfortunate against a very good football team. Leeds we weren't great, but got ourselves ahead and should have closed out the game. 

I've seen nothing to suggest that we're "bottling it" yet. A couple of players are carrying knocks and the midfield looks a bit unbalanced without Longstaff, but we look fine mentally. 

I didn’t mention bottling it. Would certainly be a missed opportunity if people don’t want to use the words throwing away, letting it slip or bottling it.

its all hypothetical anyway we could well win 3 out of 3 and get there no problem but to suggest bookies odds and opta stats mean nothing is nonsense. 

here’s hoping we beat Brighton and liverpool lose to Villa and it’s done before we play again

7 minutes ago, gdm said:

I didn’t mention bottling it. Would certainly be a missed opportunity if people don’t want to use the words throwing away, letting it slip or bottling it.

its all hypothetical anyway we could well win 3 out of 3 and get there no problem but to suggest bookies odds and opta stats mean nothing is nonsense. 

here’s hoping we beat Brighton and liverpool lose to Villa and it’s done before we play again

I don't think you're saying anything controversial but, when it comes to reviewing the season, the club has earned an exemption from any fundamentally negative language imo, even if we close the season in poorer form.

I know that sounds a bit precious but some of the statistics which have led us to our current position are unprecedented - goals scored/conceded, away form, number of defeats, etc - not to mention a spell of seven wins in eight, and a separate spell of eight wins in nine, plus a run to a cup final.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It sounds a bit precious but, when it comes to reviewing the season, the club has earned an exemption from any fundamentally negative language imo, even if we close the season in poorer form. 

Some of the statistics which have led us to our current position are unprecedented -goals scored/conceded, away form, number of defeats, etc - not to mention a spell of seven wins in eight, and a separate spell of eight wins in nine, plus a run to a cup final.

I agree tbh. My original point has been lost in that It would be gutting not to get CL now. 

it has been a brilliant season no doubt about that. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

When Richarlison made it 3-3... it was all but in the bag tbf. The margin of error would've been huge.

The margin for error is still big though. So I'm confident.

Made me sick when Jota scored.

Looked at the live league table at 3-3 and we were 11 points clear with them playing a game more. 

For about 40 seconds, I thought "That's it. It's over".

Hopefully can say that sentence again Thursday night.

49 minutes ago, gdm said:

I agree tbh. My original point has been lost in that It would be gutting not to get CL now. 

it has been a brilliant season no doubt about that. 

Both things can absolutely be true. If you'd asked me after the final would I have taken Europa League...definitely. I obviously would have taken it in August.

If we don't get it, being 9 points clear with 15 to play for, personally I would be gutted. I'm sure in the near future I'd look back fondly at this season as one of my favourites ever following Newcastle home and away - especially after not giving a fuck for 2 and a half years. But it doesn't change the fact I'd be gutted and see it as a huge missed opportunity.

Anyways, we're going to do Brighton and then we're going to do Leicester and we'll be partying in West London on the 28th whilst Jurgen talks about our ceiling and gurns all summer, after winning his final 9 games. Sickener for you.

2 hours ago, gdm said:

point still remains we’d have let a 9 point lead slip and to suggest it’d be anything but upsetting is kidding yourself 

Unfortunate might be the wrong word, I would be very disappointed considering the situation we were/are in, but it would only be devastating to lose it to Liverpool. 

Think we'll be back in the CL sooner or later anyway  :indi:

On 05/02/2023 at 19:09, Kid Icarus said:

I just keep imagining a time traveller coming back to me at the start of the season to tell me how it's going by February (they don't have their priorities in order, admittedly)

They tell me that we're 4th, a point ahead of Spurs with a game in hand, 5 points behind Man City in 2nd, we've only lost once, have the third best goal difference in the league, the fewest goals conceded, 10 consecutive clean sheets in a row, breaking the club record, the 2nd best defence in Europe, we've played all of the top 6 - beating Chelsea at home, Spurs away, drawn against Man City at home, champions elect Arsenal away, Man United away, and lost controversially to Liverpool away. Most of our remaining games against those teams are at home.

...and oh yeah, we're in the League Cup final.

Our rolling 38 game points tally is only 2 points behind 95/96 with a -2 goal difference, yet we've been regularly playing Bruce-era players.

Sometimes you need to step out of the now a little bit. All of the above is insane and although we can always do better, unless you're supporting 08-14 Barcelona, that'll always be the case, there has to be a time when you enjoy the ride I think.

Update on this:

The time traveller comes back to you at the start of the season and they tell you:

- It's May, we're 3rd and have been for most of the season. We're ahead of Man United on goal difference and 1 point ahead of Liverpool with a game in hand. There are 3 games left, we need 2 wins to guarantee Champions League football 

- we've only lost 5 times in the league, a club record.

- We're on 66 points. Our rolling 38 game total is 72, our second highest ever total in a 38 game season.

- We're -1 on our best ever goal difference 

- We've been to a cup final

- This has all been done with a team and squad that predominantly features Bruce-era misfits who've been rejuvenated under Eddie Howe

- Sean Longstaff is almost universally viewed as a player pivotal to the team's success, but at times or throughout the season this has also applied to Miggy Almiron, Joe Willock, Fabian Schär, and Jacob Murphy

I can't quite step back and enjoy the ride during high pressure times like this, but whatever happens the majority of this season has been borderline fan fiction and I've enjoyed it so much. It's been an unforgettable season.

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 minutes ago, Peppe said:

Unfortunate might be the wrong word, I would be very disappointed considering the situation we were/are in, but it would only be devastating to lose it to Liverpool. 

Think we'll be back in the CL sooner or later anyway  :indi:

Sooner ??

I think this is right (stats bloke on Twitter) but we’ve won 8 of the last 11 games, Liverpool have won 7 and Brighton have won 6. So that’s 8 out of 9 that we had won prior to the Arsenal & Leeds games, that’s pretty unsustainable for any club apart from about from 2 or 3 in the league.

Edited by KDT

I wouldn't say we bottled it as we faced a very strong Arsenal side and are about to play a very good Brighton side during our run in. 

We would definitely have let it slip from our grasp though considering our position. We've been in top 4 for just about all season haven't we? 

Would love to know how many weeks total actually if anyone can find that info? 

10 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

I wouldn't say we bottled it as we faced a very strong Arsenal side and are about to play a very good Brighton side during our run in. 

We would definitely have let it slip from our grasp though considering our position. We've been in top 4 for just about all season haven't we? 

Would love to know how many weeks total actually if anyone can find that info? 

Without checking I’d wager it’s less than you may think owing to the relatively poor start we had (in comparison to the rest of the season).

im sure it was only a game or 2 before the World Cup when we hit top 4 and then had a couple of weeks in 5th late winter.

so I’d guess at over 19 games but less than 25 (so far). Highly impressive

4 hours ago, gdm said:

If we can’t win 2 games out of 5. We’ve thrown it away. You can dress it up any way you like. Not being able to get two wins from the last 5 games will be poor form considering 3 of them were at home 

Two of those three were against Arsenal and Brighton, if you took the CL scenario out of the situation, you would never be guaranteed to win either in any season. Both are hard games regardless of home advantage. It's almost as daft as going to Chelsea on the last day of the season expecting it to be an easy win because they've had a bad season. Games at this level can go either way.

1 hour ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Without checking I’d wager it’s less than you may think owing to the relatively poor start we had (in comparison to the rest of the season).

im sure it was only a game or 2 before the World Cup when we hit top 4 and then had a couple of weeks in 5th late winter.

so I’d guess at over 19 games but less than 25 (so far). Highly impressive

I think it's 20, 15 of those in 3rd

(source is Wikipedia so maybe, maybe not)

Edited by Keegans Export

I feel like if we miss out on top 4 after this opportunity it’ll initially feel disappointing but after the dust has settled Europa League would be an incredible season. If we end up in the conference league I’ll be devastated. 

I still think we’ll get two more wins and get the job done though despite Liverpool’s resurgence. 

4 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I feel like if we miss out on top 4 after this opportunity it’ll initially feel disappointing but after the dust has settled Europa League would be an incredible season. If we end up in the conference league I’ll be devastated. 

I still think we’ll get two more wins and get the job done though despite Liverpool’s resurgence. 

We can't end up in the conference league.

33 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Good thing we can't end up in the Europa Conference then ?

We don’t demand a club that wins, we demand a club that tries.

Well let me tell you this.

I am fucking ecstatic that we are third in the league with three games left.

I am fucking ecstatic to be in Europe next season.

I am fucking ecstatic that we played in our first cup final for 25 years.

I am fucking ecstatic that the threat of relegation is now someone else’s problem.

I am fucking ecstatic that we have dominated most games we’ve played.

I am fucking ecstatic that scoring four goals or more in a match is not a rare event.

I am fucking ecstatic with our goal difference. Liverpool have won 9-0 and 7-0 this season and still have a worse goal difference than us and I am fucking ecstatic about that.

I am fucking ecstatic with our defensive record.

I am fucking ecstatic that I get to watch Bruno and Isak and Trippier play.

I am fucking ecstatic that I am able to love all our players and all our coaches.

so even if these last three games are a step too far, I end the season and I am still fucking ecstatic and not upset at all.

Champions League would be caviar on top of the fucking cherry.

3rd Place would be my fucking jizz on the fucking caviar.

Fucking Amen.