The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

619 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Just now, The Prophet said:

Emery is doing alright without rooting up trees. I'm sure they'll improve after he has a summer transfer window under his belt.

They would be 4th in the table since he was appointed, better than alright surely ?

1 hour ago, TRon said:

He's done a good job, and he's a good manager. If he was top quality then he would have succeeded at Arsenal instead of losing the respect of his squad, and he would have had the balls to take the Newcastle job instead of changing his mind, then changing his mind again and getting a National Express coach to the Midlands in classic FOMO fashion. I think a bloke who has that much trouble making his mind up can't be a top coach.

The Arsenal job was a poisoned chalice. And had they given him time and let him revamp the squad, he would’ve turned it around imo. 

Most reliable reports said he wanted to join and Villarreal said ‘no’.  

Villa is a great job for him.  He’s the highest calibre of manager Villa have had in a long time and he will be given time to turn them around. He’s doing well already tbf with Gerard’s Frankenstein but talented squad. He’ll be given the whole of next year as well(within reason). It’s the following season that he’ll need to produce. His calibre buys him that time.  

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

They would be 4th in the table since he was appointed, better than alright surely ?

Yes, 1.8 PPG since he came.

He's doing a good job with a slightly uneven squad.

Edited by brummie

6 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We could have also kept Shelvey, but then triggered a new contract with no guarantee someone takes him off us in the summer and we're stuck with deadwood again when we're trying to rebuild a squad with quality. 

The money we got him for him is insane btw

Given the manufactured controversy about our owners, a country to which the UK happily sells lots of arms, it is understandable for the club to not push the envelope on any FFP matters. There will be far more scrutiny of us than others.

As for Top 4, we're doing pretty much everything but scoring. Some of this is variance but unfortunately some of it will be a lack of quality in the team that will take time to remedy. With the overhauled off-field, scouting and youth teams we now have, the rewards should come if we can be patient.

I've not given up on Top 4. There is still a lot of football to be played and a lot of teams in the mix who will take points off each other. As with Leeds away last season or Fulham away this, it does feel like we need another "turning point" game to get us back on track and get some momentum going.

6 hours ago, Stottie said:

Given the manufactured controversy about our owners, a country to which the UK happily sells lots of arms, it is understandable for the club to not push the envelope on any FFP matters. There will be far more scrutiny of us than others.

As for Top 4, we're doing pretty much everything but scoring. Some of this is variance but unfortunately some of it will be a lack of quality in the team that will take time to remedy. With the overhauled off-field, scouting and youth teams we now have, the rewards should come if we can be patient.

I've not given up on Top 4. There is still a lot of football to be played and a lot of teams in the mix who will take points off each other. As with Leeds away last season or Fulham away this, it does feel like we need another "turning point" game to get us back on track and get some momentum going.

I agree top four is still within reach but we’re going to have to start finishing off chances to do it and that included cementing a 5th or 6th place finish. Our attacking players including the midfielders just aren’t clinical enough though and that’ll be addressed in the summer I think. 

3 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I agree top four is still within reach but we’re going to have to start finishing off chances to do it and that included cementing a 5th or 6th place finish. Our attacking players including the midfielders just aren’t clinical enough though and that’ll be addressed in the summer I think. 

This is correct, sadly the main way to become more clinical is to get better players. Give Eddie Howe Foden and Haaland and we win that game yesterday easily. 

17 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Can’t even bring myself to want Man United to win today even though it helps us.

They should create a new variant to the scoring system where it remains as it is for everything, included score draws but 0-0 ends with both sides getting 0 points. Would be amazing to root for 0-0 in this sort of match and would produce more attacking football*

*not entirely serious but also not entirely joking 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

This is correct, sadly the main way to become more clinical is to get better players. Give Eddie Howe Foden and Haaland and we win that game yesterday easily. 

Exactly. Proper coaching pays huge dividends as we’ve already seen but intimately you have to upgrade positions with better quality. Ultimately Burn, Longstaff maybe even the likes of Miggy, Wilson will become more squad based players or certainly far from guaranteed starters. 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

They should create a new variant to the scoring system where it remains as it is for everything, included score draws but 0-0 ends with both sides getting 0 points. Would be amazing to root for 0-0 in this sort of match and would produce more attacking football*

*not entirely serious but also not entirely joking 

See where you're coming from, but it would be pretty easy to corrupt that system.

1 hour ago, Geogaddi said:

Can’t even bring myself to want Man United to win today even though it helps us.

I say I want Man-U to win but the closer it gets the less I feel sure about that stance

I guess I just need to enjoy the match and look at it as a win win

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Genuine question - how?

If it suited two teams e.g. one trying to avoid relegation and the other gunning for 7th; once it was fairly clear the game was going to end goalless, a nod and a wink could allow goals in at each end so that each team picks up at least a point to further their ambitions in the league. There'd be a bit of jeopardy around the first scorer welching, but not a lot.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

If it suited two teams e.g. one trying to avoid relegation and the other gunning for 7th; once it was fairly clear the game was going to end goalless, a nod and a wink could allow goals in at each end so that each team picks up at least a point to further their ambitions in the league. There'd be a bit of jeopardy around the first scorer welching, but not a lot.

That’s grasping a little and that would happen less than teams parking the bus and spoiling games like Leeds.

7 minutes ago, 80 said:

Not really. Whenever there's an incentive, such as mutually beneficial draws in world cups, that kind of thing emerges.

Why couldn’t they do that now with draws? A nod and a wink and no one will score? It’s no different 

33 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Why couldn’t they do that now with draws? A nod and a wink and no one will score? It’s no different 

Well, they do, but it's rare that such a result is explicitly beneficial, particularly with the three points for a win. But if we and Burnley had both guaranteed our safety with a draw on the last day of last season, the smart money would have been on a draw.

But if you introduce that opportunity into every match, you'll just grow the culture of corruption. By not engaging in it, you'd maybe be giving a 6 point advantage in the league standings to every team that did for the sake of not saying 'you have one and we'll have one'. With tens and hundreds of millions of pounds riding on relegation and CL qualification, the outcome over time is obvious.

So you'd just end up with park the bus + corruption. The initiative wouldn't even resolve the stated problem of defensive play.