The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

I appreciate your calm head & optimism mate :thup:

I know nerves are part of football, I was nervous before the Spurs game and I was confident we'd get a result.

I'm just enjoying this season too much to worry about the outcome. Obviously like everyone I'll be disappointed if we miss out on 4th given our advantage, but at this stage there's nothing to logically suggest that our performance levels will dip. If they do then it's on us, not Liverpool or any other side.

Europa League is more or less in the bag, Champions League is at most seven points away and we're playing the best football I've seen since Sir Bob. As we learnt the hard way, hope and belief are key in enjoying football and we've got bucket fulls of it. Honestly just try to enjoy it, rather than stress and unless our form falls off a cliff (not impossible but improbable) and it'll take care of itself.

So what I'm trying to say is that if we throw in two ropey performances and Liverpool beat Leicester, I'll be a quivering heap watching the remainder of the season from behind the sofa.

1 hour ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Even if Liverpool win all remaining games, we still only need 2 wins and a draw, if my Steiner maths is correct, to secure top 4. I'm still confident.

Did you account for Kurt Angle? 

Was at least a positive the refs didn’t throw it for them today. For their fans booing the anthem I’m happy enough to let them have that one. 

This time next week will be the tell. 

One thing I've noticed watching all these different teams in top 4 and relegation scenarios over the last week or two is just how electric our football is. 

Obviously we know it's been good after the dross that Bruce and gang have served up but when you watch other teams playing long balls out of play, taking shots that go out for throw ins, huge errors etc it really hits home just how good Howe has us set up, organised and efficient. 

47 minutes ago, Ace said:

Was at least a positive the refs didn’t throw it for them today. For their fans booing the anthem I’m happy enough to let them have that one. 

This time next week will be the tell. 

Probably because they didn’t need to, Brentford where awful.

6 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

Starting to worry about Spurs now, only 9 points behind so if they win all the games they have left and we lose  all ours and they turn round a goal difference that is worse than us by 27 goals it could still happen.

Fuck!

29 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I badly want us to win tomorrow because if we don't there's going to be a lot of our fans losing their shit

I won’t be able to come on this forum for days if we lose tomorrow. It’s going to be one huge piss stained bed. :lol: 

Edited by cubaricho

Of the twenty-eight 5 game runs this season, we've only not achieved 6+ points in the following sequences.

GW 2-6 (4 points)

GW 3-7 (4 points)

GW 20-24 (3 points)

GW 21-25 (5 points)

Man City & Liverpool just happened to be in all 4 of those sequences. 

24/28 five game sequences we've picked up at least 6 points.

It goes against all form, logic, probability that we'll not get at least 6 points. 

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Of the twenty-eight 5 game runs this season, we've only not achieved 6+ points in the following sequences.

GW 2-6 (4 points)

GW 3-7 (4 points)

GW 20-24 (3 points)

GW 21-25 (5 points)

Man City & Liverpool just happened to be in all 4 of those sequences. 

24/28 five game sequences we've picked up at least 6 points.

It goes against all form, logic, probability that we'll not get at least 6 points. 

We were also missing Bruno for multiple games in all of those stretches.

7 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I badly want us to win tomorrow because if we don't there's going to be a lot of our fans losing their shit

My main fear is nervousness in the stands reaching the pitch and the players doing something stupid. That is how it felt with Bruno in the cup semi. We were two goals up with time running out in the tie, so it was completely unnecessary. I hope the lesson was learned.

I am far more afraid of what we could do to ourselves than any of the teams in the remaining fixtures. If we play with our regular mindset, we'll be fine. We bounced back immediately from Villa, so the evidence says we will bounce back from any bad result and not slip into someone's death spiral fantasy.

I understand people nerves and share them to an extent, however if I think about todays match in isolation I have full confidence that we won’t lose, and every chance we win. 

If you assume the absolute worst and we lose both our games in hand to Arsenal and Brighton, we need to get 6 points against Leeds, Leicester and Chelsea. 

However we won’t lose both them games so it’s sound - draw one and that’s 2 games (4 points) they’d need to swing out of 3 games left. 

Villa's loss yesterday guaranteed 7th place.  A win today guarantees 6th (actually a point pretty much guarantees it barring a 27-goal swing in Spurs's final three games).  Following Man City's win, we can no longer win the title.

This is the way I've always viewed it - each position just closes off at this time of the season.  I'll admit that the stress of this is lost on me - we don't even need to hit top form, just average form.  If we're a point ahead of Liverpool and Man Utd on the final weekend, then and only then will I feel any stress.

Edit: beat Arsenal today - a tough but hardly unlikely outcome (we're marginal favourites with the bookies, or at least we were this morning) and win our game in hand and we'd be closer to 2nd than to 5th.  Nee stress lads and lasses.

Edited by TheBrownBottle

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Villa's loss yesterday guaranteed 7th place.  A win today guarantees 6th (actually a point pretty much guarantees it barring a 27-goal swing in Spurs's final three games).  Following Man City's win, we can no longer win the title.

This is the way I've always viewed it - each position just closes off at this time of the season.  I'll admit that the stress of this is lost on me - we don't even need to hit top form, just average form.  If we're a point ahead of Liverpool and Man Utd on the final weekend, then and only then will I feel any stress.

We were already guaranteed 7th with the way the remaining fixtures were.

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I thought I was relaxed but I dreamt we lost this 2-1 after taking the lead. I never dream about football 

Tell your dreams to shut up.