The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

614 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

4 hours ago, Stottie said:

Fantastic work by everyone at the club. That stat about the only non "Sky 6" clubs to qualify since 2006 (!!) being Leicester (once) and now us in 2022-23 should tell you what an achievement it is. When Wenger was still at Arsenal, mockers would joke about them getting the "fourth place trophy" as if mere CL qualification was some kind of wooden spoon for barely competitive clubs, but it's certainly not that now. The team likely to finish fifth and miss out outplayed Real Madrid in last year's CL final.

When Leicester won the league, a much bigger achievement of course, it cost them Kante who left immediately and nearly cost them Vardy had he pushed for that move to Arsenal that was on the table. We're unlikely to sell any key players, and will continue bolstering a squad that still has many Ashley-era players and had a now-closing Ashley-sized hole in youth development. Playing twice a week will bring pressure and new stresses and strains on the squad, but the club is moving in the right direction to deal with them. Let's hope FFP gives us enough wiggle room to consolidate and at least keep the door ajar. Pushing on further might be tricky until we're allowed to put more money in.

At the start of the season, I didn't think we'd finish Top 4 (despite finishing 21-22 with Top 4 form) because I didn't think a sustained challenge was possible with players on our wage structure. I'm sure there'll be a big margin of error in the data from Spotrac below, but it'll be more right than wrong. For us to do it with the players we have is a great testament to Eddie Howe and his staff. They've done an amazing job.

2023-05-23133605.thumb.jpg.db557d425b6cc32f29514facfefdea78.jpg

Great post and stats 👍

On cloud 9 the day. All the stress of the last few weeks, the anger when Liverpool win, the fear when Castagne managed Leicester’s first short last night, the annoyance of conceding that equaliser at Elland Road….all well worth it. Up the mags. 

46 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

No mention of the 18 minutes of added time. 

Or the consideration that Klopp should have had a red and a lengthy ban for having previous. He celebrated in the fourth official’s face. How can we expect players to behave when managers act like brats?

TBH Liverpool did incredibly well to even make it close in the end.

We could’ve strolled it if they hadn’t gone on such a ridiculous run that’s totally out of keeping with the rest of their season. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

So many mint things to come still - the draw, the anticipation, the weird European TV shows and CL magazine coverage, that first week leading up to the group game. The first night at SJP with that anthem and that logo. Maybe the first goal and the first win. 

Still doesn’t feel quite real, but I can’t wait. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

So many mint things to come still - the draw, the anticipation, the weird European TV shows and CL magazine coverage, that first week leading up to the group game. The first night at SJP with that anthem and that logo. Maybe the first goal and the first win. 

Still doesn’t feel quite real, but I can’t wait. 

Playing FIFA/EA Sports FC or FM and being in the Champions League in your 1st season.

The gravity of what we achieved has really kicked in today. A squad full of players that nearly got relegated has finished in the Champions League spots ahead of Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea. Consider the wealth those teams have had and how heavily they’ve invested over a squad full of players we couldn’t sell a few windows ago. It’s absolutely mental.

What an incredible achievement Howe and the coaching staff have managed.  

1 minute ago, St1pe said:

The gravity of what we achieved has really kicked in today. A squad full of players that nearly got relegated has finished in the Champions League spots ahead of Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea. Consider the wealth those teams have had and how heavily they’ve invested over a squad full of players we couldn’t sell a few windows ago. It’s absolutely mental.

What an incredible achievement Howe and the coaching staff have managed.  

IMG_0571.thumb.jpeg.f653c682f5c584a1fbcdff97c62789ad.jpeg
There are no words for what has happened! :smitten:

I wonder how much this messes with Liverpool’s rebuild. I know there was talking of them wanting 2 new first team cms. FSG have been reluctant to invest too much in the past apparently. Salah can’t keep putting together these high stat seasons for much longer.

13 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I wonder how much this messes with Liverpool’s rebuild. I know there was talking of them wanting 2 new first team cms. FSG have been reluctant to invest too much in the past apparently. Salah can’t keep putting together these high stat seasons for much longer.

Well I had about 4 hrs sleep last night so I'm like a zombie, but this post put a glow in my heart. Let's just assume their rebuild is knackered and the players they want will be coming here instead. To experience CL football.

9 hours ago, The Bonk said:

Seeing @Dave post reminded me of the lads who passed that were regular posters on here. Been on this board nearly 20 years and this is the proudest I’ve been during most of that. I’m only half Geordie, but have always loved the heritage and history my Geordie family has had in the area. 

I haven’t been back in quite a while (just before COVID), but I will start planning for a trip in the fall for next season. I was lucky enough to see us play Barca in the CL when I was young, but can’t remember much other than it being loud and igniting my love for Football and my dedication towards NUFC. 

I hope everyone is excited for our future, cause I know I am. :indi::snod: 

lad who sits next to me in the gallowgate. him and his dad sat next to us. they would always swap seats at half time - just some kind of tradition they had.

unfirtunatley his dad passed away just after the cup final. didnt make it to wembley or enjoy enjoy our CL qualification.

RIP fella.

9 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

My uncle, who was a home and away regular for decades and with whom I often used to travel to away days, died shortly after another unnecessary Ashley-led relegation in 2016.

No doubt there will be countless others with similar stories - I was thinking of him this morning.

My dad must have died at a similar time. July 2016. He was also football, but mainly NUFC-obsessed. Me and my brothers took him to one last match while he was well enough in December 2016, it was a dull as dishwater 0-0 at home vs Everton until we lost it 0-1 with the last kick of the game :lol: 

And I will always treasure being able to go up and watch pretty much every Euro 2016 match with him at home, finally being sober after my problems with alcohol had wildly escalated in the prior months / years. Was able to be a good son without chasing a drink. England got knocked out by Iceland that year :lol:

He would have been absolutely buzzing with what has happened at Newcastle (and to a lesser extent in recent years England) which crosses my mind often and gives everything a bittersweet tinge. There's no uplifting note to end this on, it's just a real shame that Ashley took this stuff away from us. Savour these moments with those you're close with. 

5 hours ago, Stottie said:

Fantastic work by everyone at the club. That stat about the only non "Sky 6" clubs to qualify since 2006 (!!) being Leicester (once) and now us in 2022-23 should tell you what an achievement it is. When Wenger was still at Arsenal, mockers would joke about them getting the "fourth place trophy" as if mere CL qualification was some kind of wooden spoon for barely competitive clubs, but it's certainly not that now. The team likely to finish fifth and miss out outplayed Real Madrid in last year's CL final.

When Leicester won the league, a much bigger achievement of course, it cost them Kante who left immediately and nearly cost them Vardy had he pushed for that move to Arsenal that was on the table. We're unlikely to sell any key players, and will continue bolstering a squad that still has many Ashley-era players and had a now-closing Ashley-sized hole in youth development. Playing twice a week will bring pressure and new stresses and strains on the squad, but the club is moving in the right direction to deal with them. Let's hope FFP gives us enough wiggle room to consolidate and at least keep the door ajar. Pushing on further might be tricky until we're allowed to put more money in.

At the start of the season, I didn't think we'd finish Top 4 (despite finishing 21-22 with Top 4 form) because I didn't think a sustained challenge was possible with players on our wage structure. I'm sure there'll be a big margin of error in the data from Spotrac below, but it'll be more right than wrong. For us to do it with the players we have is a great testament to Eddie Howe and his staff. They've done an amazing job.

2023-05-23133605.thumb.jpg.db557d425b6cc32f29514facfefdea78.jpg

Looking back at the stats it’s actually since 04/05 where Everton got top four then shanked the qualifiers. 

16 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

My dad must have died at a similar time. July 2016. He was also football, but mainly NUFC-obsessed. Me and my brothers took him to one last match while he was well enough in December 2016, it was a dull as dishwater 0-0 at home vs Everton until we lost it 0-1 with the last kick of the game :lol: 

And I will always treasure being able to go up and watch pretty much every Euro 2016 match with him at home, finally being sober after my problems with alcohol had wildly escalated in the prior months / years. Was able to be a good son without chasing a drink. England got knocked out by Iceland that year :lol:

He would have been absolutely buzzing with what has happened at Newcastle (and to a lesser extent in recent years England) which crosses my mind often and gives everything a bittersweet tinge. There's no uplifting note to end this on, it's just a real shame that Ashley took this stuff away from us. Savour these moments with those you're close with. 

Sorry to hear about your loss, though that’s great on the sobriety 👍

Despite my handle on here, I’m now almost exactly five and a half years alcohol and tabs free

Big congrats, I've been a member of this board for like 10+ years and I know how much being back in Europe in a big way means for you all. That's where you belong.

Hope we get drawn together and we can share some pints when you come to town! 

Edited by Village Idiot

What a season. I think the only period of games that Ive ever felt more positive about the club was the 6 wins on the bounce at the start of 95/96.  For me Spurs away 2-1 was the realisation of what we have here this season. Fantastic. I missed being able to watch the Barcelona match as I had an evening tax exam I couldn’t get out of. Can’t wait for the big games to roll around.