The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

All the talk of bottling it a few games ago was an insult to the squad, Howe and coaches. Phenomenal season all round. 

Probably bottling third now though and that's just not good enough in my book.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

All the talk of bottling it a few games ago was an insult to the squad, Howe and coaches. Phenomenal season all round. 

Was nothing to do with bottling it - it has just be a long season with a very small squad.  Eddie has pretty much played the same 11 all season.  I think the midfield in particular were broken - walking wounded.  They just had enough in them to see us over the line.

How many times have teams like Everton, Villa and Leicester banged their heads against a glass ceiling trying to get into the Champions League with much better squads than ours? 

Bang, done in one, and a nowhere near as good a squad on paper. And here's the thing, we didn't sneak in. This idea that this happened because Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea were off it is bullshit. We've been in Champions League form for 18 months and got into the Champions League with a Champions League points total. This isn't Man United winning the league on 75 points, this is Newcastle United knowing what's needed and getting what's needed.

Edited by Kid Icarus

9 minutes ago, duo said:

Was nothing to do with bottling it - it has just be a long season with a very small squad.  Eddie has pretty much played the same 11 all season.  I think the midfield in particular were broken - walking wounded.  They just had enough in them to see us over the line.

I keep saying it but we've had some real luck with injuries. If Willock's hammy went at Leeds instead of Brighton, and Joelinton broke down in the Brighton warm up rather than tonight, that alone could've hugely changed the outcome. It's why, even though our quality deserved it, we could never be too sure of seeing this over the line.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

I keep saying it but we've had some real luck with injuries. If Willock's hammy went at Leeds instead of Brighton, and Joelinton broke down in the Brighton warm up rather than tonight, that alone could've hugely changed the outcome. It's why, even though our quality deserved it, we could never be too sure of seeing this over the line.

Yeah but you could say that of any team to be honest.  To succeed you need some luck. And let's be honest we were due some. 

Last time we were in the CL

- 16-year old Lionel Messi was preparing to make his official debut for FC Barcelona when he comes on as a substitute in a friendly against Porto in November 

- Ronaldo was set to move to Manchester united

- Tony Blair was PM

- Dolly the worlds first cloned sheep dies early aged six.

- Finding Nemo, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, and The Matrix Reloaded were the three biggest films of the year. Lord of the rings: Return of the King hadn't been released!

We are back baby! Yeah fuck it another beer.

Just now, duo said:

Yeah but you could say that of any team to be honest.  To succeed you need some luck. And let's be honest we were due some. 

Certainly not bemoaning it. Just makes the achievement all the more incredible. Feel sure there would've been several games Joelinton and co. would've sat out with knocks and strains this season if we had anything like meaningful squad depth. They've given everything to the cause.

I just hope if we drop a little in the league next season (say 6-7th) while we continue to turn the squad quality around and take on the Champions League (fuck me man that still sounds surreal), that we take into account we've got here ahead of how deep our squad is. 

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

I keep saying it but we've had some real luck with injuries. If Willock's hammy went at Leeds instead of Brighton, and Joelinton broke down in the Brighton warm up rather than tonight, that alone could've hugely changed the outcome. It's why, even though our quality deserved it, we could never be too sure of seeing this over the line.

As the Spartan Ephors replied to Philip II of Macedon:

If

36 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Shouldn't this now be The TopThreeometer?

Chelsea to run themselves ragged for a point on Thursday (Scouse tears everywhere for extra credit) and then with Big Jo back we smash them to confirm third.

Apologies if this is bringing the tone down a bit, but I’m pisssed, emotional

and extremely happy right now.

We should all remember the friends and family who didn’t make it this far. Dads, grandads, brothers and sisters - all whose final memories of NUFC was the shell of a club Mike Ashley created. 

This one is for them. Newcastle United are back for good. It’s fucking mint.

I genuinely don't know what thread to put this in so whichever it has landed in has been pot luck on a whim. I've always been comfortable with the fact that I'm probably the youngest member on this forum, I turn 23 in December, so I missed Keegan, I've missed SBR and the last time we were in the Champions League. 

Now that we're now there again, I don't know how to feel. Mates at uni who are fans of big 6 clubs and have taken CL as a given now congratulating me, potential for following us abroad which I've never had the opportunity to do, something I've always wanted to do but an opportunity that seemed so far away.

We're not far away anymore. We've fucking done it. What the actual hell, man. These words I've typed are a lot of words but mean ultimately fuck all because I just can't comprehend what's happened this season. All I've wanted in my NUFC supporting life is a similar ride to 1993-94 but I've been given that by this manager and the most likeable squad we've had in years. I've been given that, yet I want more. I want this group of lads to succeed wearing that crest on their chests. 

Howay the fucking lads.

27 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

We should all remember the friends and family who didn’t make it this far. Dads, grandads, brothers and sisters - all whose final memories of NUFC was the shell of a club Mike Ashley created. 

Seeing @Dave post reminded me of the lads who passed that were regular posters on here. Been on this board nearly 20 years and this is the proudest I’ve been during most of that. I’m only half Geordie, but have always loved the heritage and history my Geordie family has had in the area. 

I haven’t been back in quite a while (just before COVID), but I will start planning for a trip in the fall for next season. I was lucky enough to see us play Barca in the CL when I was young, but can’t remember much other than it being loud and igniting my love for Football and my dedication towards NUFC. 

I hope everyone is excited for our future, cause I know I am. :indi::snod: 

45 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

My uncle, who was a home and away regular for decades and with whom I often used to travel to away days, died shortly after another unnecessary Ashley-led relegation in 2016.

No doubt there will be countless others with similar stories - I was thinking of him this morning.