The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I feel it’s going to be a big ask to finish top 6 this season. CL will likely take its toll. There’s going to be some reliance on Anderson and the young lads to step up to give the quality in depth needed to sustain regular top 6 status. 

33 minutes ago, RS said:

I feel it’s going to be a big ask to finish top 6 this season. CL will likely take its toll. There’s going to be some reliance on Anderson and the young lads to step up to give the quality in depth needed to sustain regular top 6 status. 

Eddie will be aiming for top 4! O0

I think Liverpool will be a lot better this season, and probably favourites for 2nd. Still a great team, ended the season very strongly, some decent additions, won't really need go gung ho in Europe so can save some of their better players for the league, especially in the earlier stages. Then Arsenal and Man Utd probably favourites for the other 2 top 4 slots. I can see us finishing anywhere from 5th to 8th, 6th is probably par as Chelsea have a better manager now, no European football to distract them, and will likely bring in further significant additions. Tottenham and Villa will be in and around, but hopefully we finish above those, and ideally any of the other 5 because as widely documented, it looks like 5th will be CL football for the 2024/25 season.

5th, still be in Europe beyond the 6 CL group matches, and a decent run in either of the two domestic cups (like minimum QF or SF) would be a fantastic season.

Top 8 this season is very strong. Far too many factors to try and call it this early. But my sneaky feeling, with squads as they are right now, is that Man Utd might be the team that struggle to get in top 4. Feel they are heavily reliant on Rashford having another strong season. Could all change if they bring in more players ofcourse but even then they may take time to settle. 

We really need to double down on a more possession-based, slow-tempo system for some games. We can't play at 100mph for every game now with Europe as well. This was our trump card vs top opposition, we ran nearly every team off the pitch because we had less games to play so we could go 110% in most of our games. I'd be delighted with top 6, but I'm really keen to see how Eddie manages the fitness of the squad over the season, and whether he's going to change it up tactically with the amount of games to play.

If we get top 4 this season then Eddie is a genius. Liverpool nearly caught us last season and they were very poor by their standards. Man U finished above us and they had Weghorst up front most of the season. 

I reckon between 6th & 8th. We have to target a European place and continue to strengthen. 

Slightly off topic but fans of Villa and Brighton seem pretty convinced they will be better than us. Got us down as hard working cloggers with a twat of a manager. Would be great to turn Villa over 1st game.

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

If we get top 4 this season then Eddie is a genius. Liverpool nearly caught us last season and they were very poor by their standards. Man U finished above us and they had Weghorst up front most of the season. 

I reckon between 6th & 8th. We have to target a European place and continue to strengthen. 

Slightly off topic but fans of Villa and Brighton seem pretty convinced they will be better than us. Got us down as hard working cloggers with a twat of a manager. Would be great to turn Villa over 1st game.

Where are you reading that ?

Hard working is one of our biggest strengths tbf. 

Think we'll finish 6th this season. Even if we'd signed a couple more I just don't see Liverpool and Chelsea having as bad a year as they had again, and Pochettino will likely have Chelsea ticking with no Europe. Aim to win the little mini-league with Spurs, Villa and Brighton and it'll have been a good one. Even 7th wouldn't be the end of the world. 

I strongly believe this should be changed to a Top Five, and am also fairly confident we can finish in the Top Five.

I would be far less confident of us getting to a cup final this season, because we'll field weaker teams and are unlikely to be as fortunate as 22-23 with the draw we are given. It may upset some older fans, I'm mid fifties myself, but CL qualification is what raises commercial revenue, allows more signings, and in turn makes domestic cup success more likely. If anything, I think crowd impatience for cup success was a factor in general nervousness in the semi that fed into the players and contributed to Bruno being sent off in a tie we were clearly winning. Not winning a trophy for decades is not Eddie or PIF's fault and should not cloud their priorities. 

We finished last season strongly, have signed someone who can provide creativity and set tempo in midfield like Bruno, and upgraded Maxi with someone more likely to go direct toward goal and whack the ball into it. Liverpool, Villa, Spurs  etc, have made eyecatching signings who may glitter more than ours, but we're the ones with the settled defence, and settled system. We're not relying on any new purchases hitting the ground running or any new system to work from day one. Expecting Liverpool's new midfield to instantly work, especially with a pivot DM who lacks the concentration to play right back, strikes me as far from a given.

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think we'll finish 6th this season. Even if we'd signed a couple more I just don't see Liverpool and Chelsea having as bad a year as they had again, and Pochettino will likely have Chelsea ticking with no Europe. Aim to win the little mini-league with Spurs, Villa and Brighton and it'll have been a good one. Even 7th wouldn't be the end of the world. 

Aye. 

*whispers* I’ve not loved our business so far this summer. If we get Tino + CB we’ve done solid business. But I wouldn’t expect 5th. 6th would be good if the traditional top 6 turn up.  

We spent most of last season fairly comfortably there or thereabouts within the top 4 despite a cup run, and whilst our surprise factor might have gone, we have slightly strengthened since.

Anderson and maybe Miley looking to be decent squad prospects, and Tonali plus Barnes added, with likely one or two more would be something the rest of the league won't be looking forward to.

Man U looking OK, Arsenal stronger, Man City already miles ahead of the rest - think they'll be top 3.

On the other hand, I don't see why we're so worried about some of the other teams "strengthening" when we are too. In Liverpool's case it's a pretty radical overhaul, in Chelsea's that's a mess of a squad (albeit with a better manager), and Spurs are likely to struggle to adjust without Kane, you'd think.

Villa and Brighton will be tough competition too - depending if Brighton get raided for the likes of Caicedo.

But even though it's a tall order with a CL campaign on our hands, don't forget Brighton and Villa are in Europe too and similarly to us not used to it. So I'd be hopeful of 5th. And at the same time desperately hoping we can help keep Liverpool /Spurs/Chelsea out of the CL at the same time.

Liverpool and Chelsea have better squads and are not in the CL. They along with Man U, Arsenal and City should be the top 5 if performing to their level.  

If any falter. We should be right there. But we’d also do well to stay ahead of Spurs, Villa and Brighton.  

Our back 5 basically had no injuries for the whole season.  I doubt we’ll be so lucky again on that front.  

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Liverpool and Chelsea had better squads than us last season, we still got more points than them. 

Spurs are done for if Kane leaves. 

They also had champions league football and other issues. We had no European football.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if Chelsea got 70+ points and Liverpool got 80+ points. 

We’ll need to be better than last season to qualify for the CL again. We’l be tested in many different ways. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We’ll get better as well mate.

2 hours ago, HawK said:

We really need to double down on a more possession-based, slow-tempo system for some games. We can't play at 100mph for every game now with Europe as well. This was our trump card vs top opposition, we ran nearly every team off the pitch because we had less games to play so we could go 110% in most of our games. I'd be delighted with top 6, but I'm really keen to see how Eddie manages the fitness of the squad over the season, and whether he's going to change it up tactically with the amount of games to play.

Man City do. Why can’t we. We have a good squad rotation now and with peak fitness we should be running from start to finish pressing

2 hours ago, HawK said:

I think he’s doubling down on intensity. The signings indicate that to me imo.  But with a bigger squad that can rotate more.