Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle United (03/01/2023)

Yorkie

I said it earlier in the thread. Arsenal were just as bad at going down as our players. Usually our players went down with genuine knocks, their players went down under any challenge in a game they couldn’t coast in, just like they have always done since Wenger got his mitts on them.

Had they stayed on their feet under those challenges, they would have likely have won the 2nd ball and been able to take us apart on the counter. They didn’t though, they wanted to slow the game down and take the free kicks. They were their own worst enemy and the only reason why everyone is pointing fingers at us for our players going down is because you see Arteta running up and down the touchline screaming at the 4th official and referee.

Arsenal were their own worst enemy tonight, of course slowing the game down and it being made scrappy would suit us, I’m just amazed that it’s them who actually made it like that.

Edited by Stifler

I actually don't mind Arsenal to be honest and would prefer them to win the league to City. However, there's a long, long way to go yet and can see them coming off the rails a bit once these big games are played out in the next 6 weeks.

Edited by Heron

Just now, Heron said:

I actually don't mind Arsenal to be honest and would prefer them to win the league to City. However, there's a long, long way to go yet and can see them coming odd the rails a bit once these big games are played out in the next 6 weeks.

Feel sorry for them that they have to come up here. They cannot hack it.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I can absolutely see Arsenal winning the league after tonight though.  That passing fluency will beat 90% of the sides in this league comfortably. 

Yeah they were really impressive. Haven't seen any team beat pur press as easily as that this season 

Just now, Heron said:

I actually don't mind Arsenal to be honest and would prefer them to win the league to City. However, there's a long, long way to go yet and can see them coming odd the rails a bit once these big games are played out in the next 6 weeks.

I'd rather either of them than Man Utd Liverpool or Chelsea.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah they were really impressive. Haven't seen any team beat pur press as easily as that this season 

We had to drop back and press mostly in our own half after the first 5-10 mins.  Shows how astute Eddie is, and also how good they are 

Buzzing off that. Physically and emotionally drained, but well worth the trip. 

Thought we were solid and didn’t really let them in behind much. It wasn’t like the Alamo, with Pope making save after save. As always, made the big one he needed to.

Burn, Botman, Schar and Joelinton all immense. Little Joe looked superb on the break. But no fucker can keep up with him :lol:  

Sounded like we were lucky with one of the pen shouts near the end. But you need luck at a team that good. 

First team to take a point off them at home this season. First team to stop them scoring for 17 league games. 

I’ll take it. 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Feel sorry for them that they have to come up here. They cannot hack it.

Was just looking at this, they go through a run of games of;

Man City (a)

Chelsea (h)

Newcastle (a)

Brighton (h)

As the first 4 of their last 6. Wolves and Forest being the other two who might, quite plausibly, be fighting relegation.

Think you'll see the usual Arsenal capitulation and City will find their stride from here on in like.

They were decent. I think we quickly realised they had the beating of us and adjusted accordingly. Theres no shame in that. I would have loved to have been more of an attacking force and maybe in the reverse fixture having ASM start and eventually Isak giving us more fire power but you can see that if we had opened up even a slight bit more, we could easily have been ripped apart.

We did the job, got the point and can march on against easier opposition now. City and Arsenal are clearly the best teams we faced so far, followed closely by Brighton.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Looked like we went 4-5-1 and abandoned the high press pretty early. Still much braver than we have ever been at The Emirates. But it was noticeably deeper than usual. 

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Was just looking at this, they go through a run of games of;

Man City (a)

Chelsea (h)

Newcastle (a)

Brighton (h)

As the first 4 of their last 6. Wolves and Forest being the other two who might, quite plausibly, be fighting relegation.

Think you'll see the usual Arsenal capitulation and City will find their stride from here on in like.

Aye that is a nightmare for them. They folded like a cheap deckchair up here last season. I hope it’s a nice half 5 Saturday game and it’s as radge as it was in May. They’ll last 5 minutes. 

10 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I said it earlier in the thread. Arsenal were just as bad at going down as our players. Usually our players went down with genuine knocks, their players went down under any challenge in a game they couldn’t coast in, just like they have always done since Wenger got his mitts on them.

Had they stayed on their feet under those challenges, they would have likely have won the 2nd ball and been able to take us apart on the counter. They didn’t my though, they wanted to slow the game down and take the free kicks. They were their own worst enemy and the only reason why everyone is pointing fingers at us for our players going down is because you see Arteta running up and down the touch line screaming at the 4th official and referee.

Arsenal were their own worst enemy tonight, of course slowing the game down and it being made scrappy would suit us, I’m just amazed that it’s them who actually made it like that.

It's like Saturday in reverse, when we aided and abetted Leeds time-wasting by getting involved needlessly.

And extra dickhead points go to Gabriel for physically hurrying Willock off the pitch after Arsenal's sub took his own time walking off.

16 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Tbf to Arteta he made a decent point when praising his players. "Have you watched Newcastle? They don't play like that, that's credit to my players for stopping them" 

So he gets it in terms of how we play 

Yep. The high press lasted for about 3 and a half minutes before we clicked it was unsustainable.

11 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Aye that is a nightmare for them. They folded like a cheap deckchair up here last season. I hope it’s a nice half 5 Saturday game and it’s as radge as it was in May. They’ll last 5 minutes. 

It'll be a Sunday game or a Monday night again most likely as they're crowning some royal nonce on the Saturday.

Fantastic performance, good result. Agree with Howe we could have been better with the ball today but Arsenal make that difficult. 

Murphy and Wood cannot be our options off the bench going forward. That needs sorted, and we need an upgrade on Longstaff for the first team. 

To defend Neville he was basically just saying Arsenal had limited options in the forward areas on the bench. Let’s not make it he was claiming we were enriched with quality. Just a broad variety of options which we do.

Did find it funny that Merson and Ferdinand were saying we were making the game scrappy which was suiting us more (which was true) yet the yellow card count at HT was actually 3-2 to Arsenal ?

Was at the match. We’re class. I’ve been to four games while I’ve been back in the country and we’ve not let in a single goal.

anyone got that video of the geordie on Jeremy Kyle going ‘Ar you’re devastated aren’t you’. Handy for some whinging Arsenal fans tongiht 

We played well and I suppose it’s a mark of how far we’ve come that I’m disappointed we didn’t assert ourselves more in the game.

We were a little lightweight in midfield. I was constantly frustrated that we just stood off Partey, we didn’t have anyone in the middle who could mix it there.

Other slight (and I mean almost minuscule) concerns are Almiron possibly coming off the boil, only 2 games but he was fairly ineffective in both. Isak coming back might be well timed.. but also Wilson not looking great either. A top class defensive midfielder would add so much to us.

4 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

We played well and I suppose it’s a mark of how far we’ve come that I’m disappointed we didn’t assert ourselves more in the game.

We were a little lightweight in midfield. I was constantly frustrated that we just stood off Partey, we didn’t have anyone in the middle who could mix it there.

Other slight (and I mean almost minuscule) concerns are Almiron possibly coming off the boil, only 2 games but he was fairly ineffective in both. Isak coming back might be well timed.. but also Wilson not looking great either. A top class defensive midfielder would add so much to us.

You could tell the difference between Arsenal’s patch side when we beat them 2-0 and their full XI. Their midfield much beefier with Partey. That’s why I never get too carried away with Bruno. He’s very good and I love him but he’s not as great as he’s made out to be. Yet to see him really shine against the better teams. Not all down to himself of course as he needs someone powerful, athletic and more technical alongside him as he’s not going to get any faster or bigger. Not sure Tielemans is that player as more of an 8 to me.