Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle United (03/01/2023)

Yorkie

This is exactly why I couldn't be mad at Leeds doing what they needed to against ourselves.

They're just fucked off because they didn't actually create a hell of a lot even though they were so dominant, a frustrating night for them.

At least with Leeds we forged our chances we just let ourselves down at the final hurdle. Leeds sniffed the potential for a draw considering we were wearing clown shoes that day and they adjusted accordingly.

No different to us last night against a free flowing arsenal.

Ball being in play for 43 minutes is a disgrace tbh, and I'm fully in support of introducing WC extra time or stopping the clock when ball is out of play.

However, as long as it's allowed we need to be as cynical as every other team is allowed to be. 

Delighted with the result, clean sheet and just how strong we were mentally. Yes on the ball we were not at our best, but this is arguably the best Arsenal side for years and years and they have so much attacking quality and have good defensive players too. After an early dangerous spell, they rarely troubled us and we had arguably the better chances. To go there and come away with a clean sheet is superb.

42 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

Twitter is brilliant. We’ve actually brought together Arsenal, Liverpool & Man U fans. The latter are two, I genuinely think are worried about missing out on top 4. 

It's glorious seeing them wet the bed at the prospect of NUFC knocking on the door again.

Fine, spit the dummy out, but we have shown we fear nobody. Eddie might not dance about or talk smack like Klopp and Arteta, but he has ice running through his veins. Keep dancing you twats, we won't be stopped.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

It's glorious seeing them wet the bed at the prospect of NUFC knocking on the door again.

Fine, spit the dummy out, but we have shown we fear nobody. Eddie might not dance about or talk smack like Klopp and Arteta, but he has ice running through his veins. Keep dancing you twats, we won't be stopped.

I’ll drink to that!

image.jpeg.930023becbcc355f9f9a6ead3b6126b5.jpeg

2 hours ago, christ said:

This is almost entirely because the referee was a benny who lost his head about 20 minutes in. 

I never understand these stats... I mean we were not purposely kicking the ball out of play during the game?

The 16 fouls we give away were mostly due to their players falling down to win free kicks or pretending they had been pole axed in the face by a vicious finger nail.

Both teams tried to bend the rules to win the game let's not pretend otherwise.

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

28 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Ball being in play for 43 minutes is a disgrace tbh, and I'm fully in support of introducing WC extra time or stopping the clock when ball is out of play.

However, as long as it's allowed we need to be as cynical as every other team is allowed to be. 

The referee is to blame for that though. He’s the one who decided everything was a foul. Arsenal are also to blame because their players kept going down for a freekick.

I don't dislike Arsenal or Arteta generally; they're easily the least hate hateable of the ESL chums and I think, on balance, it would be a good thing if they won the league. However his manchild antics on the touchline last night really summed up the petulance and entitlement of those clubs at the top end. I'd be mortified if Howe went on the way he, Klopp and to some extent Pep do on the touchline. It really magnified the dignity and calmness with which our manager carries himself. Would love to know what he said in that short exchange. 

As for our shithousery; sure it's not beautiful but the wider football system is so better accommodating to the likes of Arsenal, that I couldn't give a fuck if it's seen as a hateful way of playing. Fuck them and the rest of them. 

Just watched his post-mstch prezza:

Happy with the collective defensive effort.

Thought we were off with the ball, but that's also due to the way Arsenal played.

Ranks it highly as a defensive performances, but as an all round performance it could have been better and there's more to come.

No issue with Arteta.

Both teams were fractious. We were good with our game management.

Dubravka wanted to come back and we're delighted to have him back.

Isak is doing well and getting closer.

We don't talk about not losing, it's about winning. You can have that intention coming into the game, but today we had to change. We had to be difficult to beat, but good in transitions.

Targett out for a number of weeks (a month, possibly longer) with a nasty injury that he can't pronounce.

The Ronaldo story is not correct.

I think Howe said this fixture would be an examination of how far we've come. Basically, we're bloody immense defensively when we get set, but we have a lot to work on going forward still.

For me, the midfield balance against these sorts of teams still doesn't feel consistently right and that sets the tone going forward. I thought Longstaff was anonymous going forward & back, Bruno had moments but struggled to find space while having to sit deeper, Willock improved but his best moments came when drifting out wide rather than making things happen through the middle. 

5 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The referee is to blame for that though. He’s the one who decided everything was a foul. Arsenal are also to blame because their players kept going down for a freekick.

Everyone is to blame in part, but you can't claim we weren't the main contributor :lol: WC added time or stopping the clock when ball is out of play would easily fix the issue in a more fair way.

I’ve seen those ‘shocking’ ball in play minutes a few times for us this season but aren’t they basically the average time? :lol:

Xhaka would have walked if it wasn’t for Marley letting Burn off with a professional foul in the first half imo, it was a similar challenge, should have been a yellow but he’d just given out 3-4 cards so let a few go.

43 minutes ago, NE27 said:

This is exactly why I couldn't be mad at Leeds doing what they needed to against ourselves.

They're just fucked off because they didn't actually create a hell of a lot even though they were so dominant, a frustrating night for them.

At least with Leeds we forged our chances we just let ourselves down at the final hurdle. Leeds sniffed the potential for a draw considering we were wearing clown shoes that day and they adjusted accordingly.

No different to us last night against a free flowing arsenal.

Said the same after the Leeds game. They did to us what we have done to others. We can’t complain when we’re on the other side of it and the laud it when it brings us a point away to the league leaders…

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I’ve seen those ‘shocking’ ball in play minutes a few times for us this season but aren’t they basically the average time? :lol:

Xhaka would have walked if it wasn’t for Marley letting Burn off with a professional foul in the first half imo, it was a similar challenge, should have been a yellow but he’d just given out 3-4 cards so let a few go.

Yeah, they're often wrong too - bet the 43 minutes is a load of shite. Last time this stat was rolled out was against Liverpool and it was wrong. Average in-play PL time is 55 mins which is one of the best in the world.