Sheffield Wednesday vs. Newcastle United - 7/1/23 @ 6pm - FA Cup (BBC One)

HaydnNUFC

Any other time I'd be wanting us to pick a team as strong as possible for this but with where we are in the league and having a genuine chance of the League Cup, I'd be gutted but not overly bothered if we lost. I still think a scratch team should go through though.

8 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Darlow
Manquillo    McArthur    Lascelles   Lewis

Anderson Longstaff Ritchie

Murphy Wood Maxi

Rest everyone (Longstaff aside just cos numbers). But still win.

image.png.b92c1c55a45603f4bac5d949879069c2.png

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

One to note for future quiz questions if he makes an appearance.

Speaking of which, didn't realise Stuart Findlay has an international record of 1 cap 1 goal.

:lol: time to let it go, Nut 

I'm not usually one to advocate playing a weakened team in the cups.  But with the quarter final on Tuesday, the fact we have just played 3 games in 8 days with minimal changes and then the favourable, but important run of league games coming up.  I think I'd make a fair few changes here.  

I think the likes of Dubravka, Lascelles, Murphy, Wood, Anderson, Lewis/Ritchie will all start.  ASM and all, but I think that is because he needs minutes.  I don't view him as a backup, at all. 

Apart from Tranmere.  I can't remember Howe making wholesale changes to the team for any game.  Even Cambridge was a strong XI at the time last Jan.  But I just don't see how you can risk the likes of Trippier, Joelinton, Bruno, Wilson, Almiron etc. 

Maybe even a slight tactical tweak.  As we currently have 4 midfielders for 3 positions, plus Anderson.  So I don't see how he can rotate much there.  

Guest reefatoon
21 minutes ago, STM said:

Looks like Isak will be in the squad.

Oohh, we better not play him, he might get injured. 

Yours sincerely

Mr massive fanny.

For me, ASM simply has to start. Now is the time for him to start to cement himself in the side. I'd love to seen Anderson, but reading today seems like he's had some niggles, so not sure if he's fully fit? 

I'm not 100% sure on Dubs in goal, as we know, he takes a while "to get going" and has hardly played in months. Would probably prefer Karius (is he still here?)

Rest Burn, bring Targett in. Would potentially keep Joe and Bruno in the middle for 60ish minutes, just so we can control the game from the outset.

22 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

For me, ASM simply has to start. Now is the time for him to start to cement himself in the side. I'd love to seen Anderson, but reading today seems like he's had some niggles, so not sure if he's fully fit? 

I'm not 100% sure on Dubs in goal, as we know, he takes a while "to get going" and has hardly played in months. Would probably prefer Karius (is he still here?)

Rest Burn, bring Targett in. Would potentially keep Joe and Bruno in the middle for 60ish minutes, just so we can control the game from the outset.

Targett out with a heel injury for around a month 

Howe was quiet complimentary about Jamal Lewis, so I'm going to guess at this:

Dubravka 

Trippier      Lascelles        Burn         Lewis

Bruno

Willock

Anderson

Murphy                                              ASM

Wood

Thoughts:

Williock has been subbed off early on a few occasions, so I think he can take the extra minutes.

Bruno is our only number 6.

If Anderson doesn't start here. Where will he start?

Changing the whole back four is too much. 2/4 is more doable. Give Burn/Botman half each.

Isak from the bench for 15.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Howe was quiet complimentary about Jamal Lewis, so I'm going to guess at this:

Dubravka 

Trippier      Lascelles        Burn         Lewis

Bruno

Willock

Anderson

Murphy                                              ASM

Wood

Thoughts:

Williock has been subbed off early on a few occasions, so I think he can take the extra minutes.

Bruno is our only number 6.

If Anderson doesn't start here. Where will he start?

Changing the whole back four is too much. 2/4 is more doable. Give Burn/Botman half each.

Isak from the bench for 15.

Willock could barely walk at the end of the Arsenal game man :lol: 

Obviously it would be a shock but would getting knocked out be seen as embarrassing? They're 2nd in League One with a long unbeaten run of their own. If we lost thisunder Bruce, it would be a cupset definitely but since we are on this unbeliveable run, how would all of you regard a loss here?

4 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Obviously it would be a shock but would getting knocked out be seen as embarrassing? They're 2nd in League One with a long unbeaten run of their own. If we lost thisunder Bruce, it would be a cupset definitely but since we are on this unbeliveable run, how would all of you regard a loss here?

It wouldn't be anywhere near as embarrassing as Cambridge was, but going out to League One opposition as a PL club should never be acceptable imo.

Yep. Nothing like an early cup exit to derail a season. Play a strong team and try and get through. No excuses not to really we aren’t in Europe. Squad is big enough. Use it wisely tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yep. Nothing like an early cup exit to derail a season. Play a strong team and try and get through. No excuses not to really we aren’t in Europe. Squad is big enough. Use it wisely tomorrow.

Didn't affect us last season. ;)

It's all about the Carabao Cup and top 6 for me this season. I'm not saying throw the tie away but I'd keep as many big hitters out as possible, should still be enough without them here.

Edited by Optimistic Nut