Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

It's mad as a PL team we have a solitary youth player to start early round cup games, symptom of our horrific past obviously. I cant be mad at the rotation, we just dont have a squad to compete on all fronts domestically let alone in Europe too. If we get a couple of injuries keeping people out for a couple of months or till the end of season we can kiss goodbye to the LC and top 4 so it has to be a measured decision.

Ironic last time I felt this shit was after the Cambridge game.

A lot of fannies on here tonight. 

Ok, so it's disappointing going out to Sheff Wed, even though they were totally deserving of the victory. What a season it has already been. No need to panic and declare a crisis, is there? 

Look on the bright side FFS - we go to a QF next week and are flying high in the league. The transfer window has only just opened. We're a long way ahead of schedule already. It was supposed to take a few years to get where we want to be. 

Yes, our strength in depth is poor at this time, but it'll change. As others have pointed out, we do have a team that tries. But we're not the finished article quite yet - patience is a virtue! 

1 minute ago, Billy Warthog said:

A lot of fannies on here tonight. 

Ok, so it's disappointing going out to Sheff Wed, even though they were totally deserving of the victory. What a season it has already been. No need to panic and declare a crisis, is there? 

Look on the bright side FFS - we go to a QF next week and are flying high in the league. The transfer window has only just opened. We're a long way ahead of schedule already. It was supposed to take a few years to get where we want to be. 

Yes, our strength in depth is poor at this time, but it'll change. As others have pointed out, we do have a team that tries. But we're not the finished article quite yet - patience is a virtue! 

Who is declaring a crisis?  The club is third in the table and in the QF of the League Cup.  It’s miles away from a crisis.

That doesn’t mean what we’ve just witnessed wasn’t a shit performance from a poor team selection and an embarrassing exit from a competition plenty of us absolutely love. 

One silver lining is Isaak finally making his come back, he looked a little off the pace but its to be expected after such a lengthy lay off, hopefully that's the end of Wood cameos, he's been a great servant to the club in our time of need but that needs to be the last we see of him.

Not blaming Wood for tonight at all and I have the upmost respect for the job he has done for us despite his limited ability. But he is the kind of player I would never like to see wear the shirt again. 

Tonight basically just proved the miracles Howe has performed with a squad that lacks depth. The last part of the season is where depth really comes into it and we need to strengthen. 

Yeah no one has turned on Howe. The only real issue I have with Howe over the past year is the signing of and persistence with Wood. Given the amount of game time he’s had a night like this has been coming, unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

For all the fringe players and missed chances today, their goals came from an offside goal and the other down to Big Jo and Bruno messing up.

Move on and learn.

Jamaal Lewis is the one who really makes me scratch my head.  He was highly rated when we signed him - it wasn’t just a poor Bruce signing, Liverpool had been in for him to.  What has happened to that lad?  I know some players just don’t develop, but he just looks so poor …

7 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

You know what - I live in Leicester and a lot of people said to me “you Geordies will turn on Howe the first time he gets something wrong” and I laughed at them then I read some comments on here.

Defeats happen in football, he had to rest some players - took a gamble and it didn’t work, learn from it, grow and move on but phrases like “piss take”, “embrarrasing” and others on here is pathetic in my opinion.

Total bollocks nobody is exempt from criticism when they get something wrong. Fucking turning on Howe don't be so stupid will you. It was exactly the same when Rafa was here with some on here. A manager can get something wrong and then this can be highlighted and discussed. They're not gods.

There was enough on the pitch to get the job done for me.

We fluffed a fair few chances tonight and once again reaffirms the need to get better backup options sorted as soon as feasibly possible.

I'm at peace now with the result, but I'm struggling massively not to lay into Chris wood, man, he's absolutely fucking killing me[emoji38]

Onto Leicester and hopefully a little bit of transfer news to maybe lift some of the disappointment of going out of the f.a cup, again.

9 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

So three players out of 11 whilst playing 8 others who have hardly played together. instead of having to bring players on to try and rescue the game, maybe you bring those players off after the game is won. As I said if you're happy with today that's your choice, I'm certainly not and I warned the exact thing would happen a couple of days ago. 

Longstaff started too fwiw

And yes, I was and am happy with the line-up - obviously not the result or performance but there's a pretty simple to make distinction there. If Isak had scored and we went on to a comfortable 2-0 win no-one would be questioning the line-up. It's so easy after the game has played out negatively to go back and say the line-up was a piss-take

It’s a fools errand given Newcastle’s atrocious recent record in the cup, but personally I place huge significance on FA Cup (as well as League Cup) games.

I want to see us win something, no matter what. That’s what makes these losses against lower-league opposition so acute in their disappointment to me.

We just can’t seem to get it together. Hopefully we can put it right against Leicester.

Just now, NE27 said:

We fluffed a fair few chances tonight and once again reaffirms the need to get better backup options sorted as soon as feasibly possible.

I'm at peace now with the result, but I'm struggling massively not to lay into Chris wood, man, he's absolutely fucking killing me[emoji38]

Onto Leicester and hopefully a little bit of transfer news to maybe lift some of the disappointment of going out of the f.a cup, again.

I’d tried to defend Wood for yonks, but Leeds was the end for me.  He’s almost exhausting to watch - he just needs shipping out at this point.  

Just now, NE27 said:

That’s the thing for me - last three games we seem to be missing chances by not hitting the target another. Upgrade wood for Pusilic or somebody in the same bracket

I was more annoyed and frustrated after the Leeds game, somehow. The Cambridge game I went into hiding :lol: 

Thought this was a good cup tie, we had more than enough on the pitch at the start and the end to win it. Created plenty and just wasted them due to a few rusty players or ones that we already knew aren’t quite good enough. 

Would have to do a lot more than that to stop me feeling good about this season and positive for the future. 

10 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Yeah no one has turned on Howe. The only real issue I have with Howe over the past year is the signing of and persistence with Wood. Given the amount of game time he’s had a night like this has been coming, unfortunately. 

He was signed out of desperation and has been persisted with due to injuries.

Edited by The Prophet

28 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I've thought about the thought process behind this signing more than I should have but I always settle on, given all things, it was probably the best signing we could make at the time. £25m doesnt get you much and we could have spent all month trying to get someone in and failing. I think when we found out we could get Wood tomorrow and this is the fee we just went "Yep, do it". Aye it's mad money for what we got but it absolutely contributed to keeping us up there's no denying that imo. I can live with that.

The persistence is a symptom of that decision. I mean he's had no choice. If we'd have bought someone else instead of Wood we'd have had to persist with them too given Isak and Wilson's injuries. 

All just very indicative of where we still are and where we were not so long ago. There's going to be things like this for a couple of years. Just over a year ago we had fuck all.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar