Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

Got the feel of a pivotal week in the season now this, 2 tough home games and everything has been positive this season. 

Every team has a bad couple of weeks in the season looking forward to see how we react to this.

Edited by Whitley mag

We were sloppy. No two ways about it. That second string of players is woeful. Only one who gets a pass is Isak because of the length of time he’s been out. The rest of the lads who started were shite, Botman included - hard as it is to say. 

It’s now there for all to see if we don’t invest properly in this window. A couple of key injuries and we’ll have to rely on Jamal Lewis, Matt Ritchie and Chris Wood - I’m sorry but that would be disastrous. 

A rare fuck up but a painful one to have to swallow. Wednesday are shit, Windass had the game of his life but we basically fed him all game. 

Incredibly frustrating result but so timely a reminder of the miracles Howe has been performing with this squad of players.

Also timely little push to perhaps make sure we strengthen the squad as much as we can in January.

The Wednesday defenders put their bodies on the line and kept us from scoring. Their in form strikers caused our back 4 that had never played together loads of problems. We still had loads of opportunities to draw or win it. Moving on to Tuesday.

Guest reefatoon
53 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

I did find it odd that we didn’t start with Wood and give Isak the second 45. 

Howe said he wanted to start him as he wanted him to have a proper warm up before starting instead of coming on cold. Makes sense after such a long absence.

30 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Exactly Howe did the right thing completely, was just let down by some players who are clearly worse than I even realised tonight.

Exactly...demonstrated to PIf that we still need investment to be serious challengers on any front.

This was an embarrassing result regardless of our team. We dominated everything should have won comfortably but ballsed it up as per classic Newcastle 

8 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Howe said he wanted to start him as he wanted him to have a proper warm up before starting instead of coming on cold. Makes sense after such a long absence.

Ahh makes sense tbf. Can’t be doing with anymore Chris Wood though.

A gamble by Eddie to start with the players he did and one that ultimately failed, the result is there for all of us to see. We are all entitled to our opinion, mine is that there were more than a few eyebrows raised with the starting eleven. Say what you want about squad rotation but it didn't work tonight.

1 minute ago, Jordan said:

Just seen the Wood chance again, absolutely shocking. Joelinton put it on a plate for the useless oaf. 

He doesn’t even need to take it first time - he could have taken a couple of touches he has so much time with it.  No excuse for that finish

2 minutes ago, dorty said:

A gamble by Eddie to start with the players he did and one that ultimately failed, the result is there for all of us to see. We are all entitled to our opinion, mine is that there were more than a few eyebrows raised with the starting eleven. Say what you want about squad rotation but it didn't work tonight.

Didn't work tonight is right but its not just to be judged on tonight. If we beat Leicester then its fully justified.

See our xG was 3.16. Lower than I expected tbh, we had so many chances to score. 

Isak header from 6 yards

Isak shot straight at the keeper

Murphy one-on-one 

Bruno goal

Anderson point blank range

Wood sitter

Willock blocked attempt

Ritchie edge of the box

Plus 11 corners, 22 shots, 8 shots on target, a couple direct free-kicks

The reason we didn't win is that we didn't convert our chances - everyone included. Scapegoats, favourites, reserves, record signings: all fluffed their lines. Fuck all to do with rotating the squad and not requiring certain individuals to play themselves into injury. 

39 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Mad how many chances we couldn't put away.

Not really. We were chronically weak in front of goal when Wilson was missing prior to this season. Almiron's burst of goals has masked a lot of history. Even last season signing Trippier with his dead ball contributions gave us a massive boost in that department. We don't really have that many natural goal scorers in the side, although hopefully Isak returning to fitness will change that.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

See our xG was 3.16. Lower than I expected tbh, we had so many chances to score. 

Isak header from 6 yards

Murphy one-on-one 

Bruno goal

Wood sitter

Willock blocked attempt

Ritchie edge of the box

The reason we didn't win is that we didn't convert our changes - everyone included. Scapegoats, favourites, reserves, record signings: all fluffed their lines. Fuck all to do with rotating the squad and not requiring certain individuals to play themselves into injury. 

Was the same case against Leeds. I was initially annoyed after FT as going out to a League One side shouldn't be acceptable at any PL club, but this happens. Rightly or wrongly I'm glad that we don't have a replay of this, especially if we get past Leicester and have a two legged semi final this month on top of all the other games, our current squad just can't cope.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Isak header from 6 yards

Murphy one-on-one 

Bruno goal

Wood sitter

Willock blocked attempt

Ritchie edge of the box

The reason we didn't win is that we didn't convert our changes - everyone included. Scapegoats, favourites, reserves, record signings: all fluffed their lines. Fuck all to do with rotating the squad and not requiring certain individuals to play themselves into injury. 

Yeah, was jut a frustrating day.

We really could do with improving our back up players though. Hope we do some business this January. Even if its just loans.