Anthony Gordon

Jack27

1 hour ago, jack j said:

Will they not be getting a week or 2 off after this tournament?

Yes probably, I was talking relatively so. Rest is as important as training but I meant he’d go from the euros into pre-season with an appropriate rest in between. 

1 hour ago, jack j said:

Will they not be getting a week or 2 off after this tournament?

I'd say he hasn't exactly had a gruelling season with us, and nor would he have if he goes all the way to final imo. Should have a few days off and be straight back to Newcastle with Howe!

I assume he is on the bench today, defo not in the XI with them having already qualified. Comms said their back 4 was much changed from the 2 over games so assume must be wholesale changes, although that Chelsea lad with the headband starts again. Currently 2-0 up after 30 mins, Archer and Elliot with the goals.

Italy haven't qualified yet so I assume Tonali will be starting their match at 7.45.

51 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

I find it a bit weird. My perception of him before he came here was that he was a bit limited and lacked end product, but had ok technique, good stamina and excellent work rate.  Every time I saw him for Everton he just seemed to keep going at a high tempo the entire game. 

11 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I find it a bit weird. My perception of him before he came here was that he was a bit limited and lacked end product, but had ok technique, good stamina and excellent work rate.  Every time I saw him for Everton he just seemed to keep going at a high tempo the entire game. 

Maybe just crap management and training measures caught up with him? Ala Bruce. Drop October 2021's Longstaff into today's squad and he'd look way off the pace too... That's my hope, anyhow.

7 hours ago, Conjo said:

I’ve had similar thoughts re stamina and high tempo. But how many full Everton games have we watched, and of those where he played 90 minutes?
Super quick, tenacious and quick thinking but only really seen this in clips/highlights. If he says he needs more endurance/fitness/stamina he will get it. I’ve high hopes for young Anthony.  

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

Been really impressed with him in the u21s. Fact that he’s starting for them consistently shows he’s rated in the England set up. 

Think he’ll have a much better season. The amount of people (mostly scousers) desperate for him to fail will be getting converted to motivation by Eddie and the team. 

11 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm not sure he'll ever be an elite player but if he becomes a Milner at City sort of level where he's starting around 20 a season and making sub apps in 10-12 while we challenge for stuff, £45m is good value. 

He’s more likely to be, a hopefully longer lasting, Milner at Newcastle kind of player. 

At the very least, he could be a really handy system player for us in a similar way to Grealish's current role at City being pretty specific to the gameplan. He's got pace, a good first touch, and the mindset to pass-and-move which is perfect for Howe. While some of his defensive positioning is pretty meh, his actual tackling is good - you'd think some tuning of his defensive nous could turn him into a very decent presser.

10 hours ago, Conjo said:

Just highlights the levels that Eddie has us playing at these days

Edited by Magpie

Still think he's got loads of potential, but the remaining question around him will be, can he produce the extra polish and finishing acumen that the really top players do? He's got the pace, he's got the tenacity, now we just need to see if he's got the end product which makes teams fear you.

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If we didn't think he was a little dickhead before he joined, we wouldn't be talking about any of this (IMO).

As a player he has a lot of great attributes and he's in the best place to see them developed. 

Absolutely and let's not forget he's only 22!

19 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If we didn't think he was a little dickhead before he joined, we wouldn't be talking about any of this (IMO).

As a player he has a lot of great attributes and he's in the best place to see them developed. 

I would actually like to see those traits from him again. He way everywhere when we played Everton. Involved in so much, shithousery, taking free kicks. 
I hated the crap out of him, but think that Athetico attitude needs to come back.

p.s.
I think he is going to be mint. I have very high hopes. 

I think a lot of it was self doubt like, but even then he wasn't actually bad last season by any stretch during his cameos.

He seems pretty shy and probably overly polite, like any place of work some people (like Bruno and Isak*) can just waltz in with a load of edge and immedietly fit, but others take a while to get over the awkwardness and reign themselves right in.

(*more confidence and just an aura of not giving a fuck with Isak)

Edited by Hanshithispantz

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I think a lot of it was self doubt like, but even then he wasn't actually bad last season by any stretch during his cameos.

He was excellent against ManU in-particular, then chipped in during that West Ham botting a few days later. Sadly the Brentford strop followed which set him back in terms of optics.