Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Still figuring him out a bit. Quick, but not tricky, combines well, plays on the left but a much better finisher with his right. A few times that half his decision to go outside seemed naive give the space was inside. 

Just now, The Butcher said:

He's the only one who's done anything of note.

That must be why he got switched to the right wing after his laughable attempts to do an Isak on the left.

You can see the signs and the glimmers, he's just incredibly raw and lacking in decisiveness. Possibly trying too hard to impress. He will have some shit games (Villa) and some better ones.

He'll be a good player in 2-3 years, hopefully it's with us. 

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Thought he had their right-back on toast, seemed weird moving him to the right when it was literally a case of inches on a couple of occasions that he didn't score?

He did until he figured out Gordon only does one thing 

Maybe he will come good in time, but I don't think now is the time to be playing him. We have a big run in and we need players who've proven they can score and assist in the PL. The best 3 opportunities have all fallen to him (decent movement) and he's fluffed all of them. 

Edited by Smal

Looked really good for most that half. Got a bit predictable with his take ons. But positive and full of energy and was making the right runs. Probably our best player the first half an hour or so. 

Didn’t even get excited both times he went through, mind. His finishing is awful and has been since his Everton days. Just looks lacking in confidence all the time. 

7 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I can't understand our fan base sometimes 

Think a good number actually loved it under Mike Ashley, as they could bitch and moan every single day of their existence about the club. 

Now he's no longer here and things are going well they are struggling badly, and will grasp at any opportunity they can. It's a sickness.

Think he's looked fairly bright today, to be fair to him.

My concern is that for the money we paid he looks a lot like a pretty limited player that is going to work hard and put in a shift but not a whole lot more than that. Hasn't been a single moment from him where I've felt we've got a glimpse of some massive potential hiding underneath. Didn't look particularly confident with either of his chances, doesn't look like he's got some outstanding dribbling ability.

I know it's hard to come in during the January window and make a big impact but right now I do feel like we've paid £40m for our long term successor to Jacob Murphy as our hard-working backup winger. He'll be a valuable member of the squad for years, I'm sure, but it does feel like we could have signed someone with a bit more about them for that outlay.

Hope to be proven wrong.

Edited by Shak

10 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The biggest issue is the timing of buying him, we paid a premium to get him in January and so far it hasn’t paid off. 

I think if you asked our board they’d say we got a discount.

Gordon has been a lightning rod since he was linked. Not surprised by some of the (overly) negative reactions.

1 minute ago, Shak said:

Think he's looked fairly bright today, to be fair to him.

My concern is that for the money we paid he looks a lot like a pretty limited player that is going to work hard and put in a shift but not a whole lot more than that. Hasn't been a single moment from him where I've felt we've got a glimpse of some massive potential hiding underneath. Didn't look particularly confident with either of his chances, doesn't look like he's got some outstanding dribbling ability.

I know it's hard to come in during the January window and make a big impact but right now I do feel like we've paid £40m for our long term successor to Jacob Murphy as our hard-working backup winger. He'll be a valuable member of the squad for years, I'm sure, but it does feel like we could have signed someone with a bit more about them for that outlay.

Hope to be proven wrong.

Pedro?