Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Disagree with those saying he did well, while i don't want to be too harsh on the lad but his end product and decision making look so poor, he's not a youngster coming from our academy but a 40m signing, he lost his shit when Howe took him off a few weeks back and when he got  his two starts he's done very little to show what he can offer, the fact that we took him off at half time and within less than 10 minutes Isak assists from the same position and the whole game changes shows he's still got a lot of work and learning to do, hopefully he'll be able to get better.

4 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Disagree with those saying he did well, while i don't want to be too harsh on the lad but his end product and decision making look so poor, he's not a youngster coming from our academy but a 40m signing, he lost his shit when Howe took him off a few weeks back and when he got  his two starts he's done very little to show what he can offer, the fact that we took him off at half time and within less than 10 minutes Isak assists from the same position and the whole game changes shows he's still got a lot of work and learning to do, hopefully he'll be able to get better.

Needs a full pre-season to get up to speed. He'll come good eventually.

While not being outstanding I thought he was our only real attacking threat in the first half, it looked like the issue in the first half was that Southampton played with a high line so we were relying on getting in behind but because the midfield were not offering anything Isak was dropping deep to pick the ball up, so when it did go to Gordon there wasn’t much support for him.

That changed in the second half with Wilson coming on and they were pushed back as we increased the intensity, it also helped Joelinton who was the right side of midfield in the first half and not even in the game.

Overall I see Gordon as being in a similar position to where Willock was at the end of last season and the early months of this one, he has something about it but it hasn’t clicked for him yet and he needs some coaching on his positioning on and off the ball.

Howe sees something there that he believes he can develop and I’m interested in seeing what the end product will look like.

Edited by Matt1892

the important thing is that he's improving with every game.

today was his best performance so far.

was direct, hit the post, inches wide on another, got into the box regularly but occasionally ran into traffic rather than releasing the ball.

no worse than murphy's early performances, but because of where we currently are we expect more from him.

the price wasnt his fault.

22 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Not sure how him being a llittle petulant being subbed off in a previous game is relevant to todays game, he looked our only threat in the first half and hit the post with one chance.

Edited by Numbers

20 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I thought today showed he's very two footed, as well as reinforced his pace and directness.

Absolutely this. On another day could have had 2 goals and the ability to go either way is a huge asset.

8 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

While not being outstanding I thought he was our only real attacking threat in the first half, it looked like the issue in the first half was that Southampton played with a high line so we were relying on getting in behind but because the midfield were not offering anything Isak was dropping deep to pick the ball up, so when it did go to Gordon there wasn’t much support for him.

That changed in the second half with Wilson coming on and they were pushed back as we increased the intensity, it also helped Joelinton who was the right side of midfield in the first half and not even in the game.

Overall I see Gordon as being in a similar position to where Willock was at the end of last season and the early months of this one, he has something about it but it hasn’t clicked for him yet and he needs some coaching on his positioning on and off the ball.

Howe sees something there that he believes he can develop and I’m interested in seeing what the end product will look like.

Some fucking sense 😊

35 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I thought today showed he's very two footed, as well as reinforced his pace and directness.

This is what I like as well. I think he's going to be able to create goalscoring opportunities from very little with that in his locker and once he has an understanding between him and everyone around him we'll be able to take better advantage. 

He got in a few times, which is his job, just so happened nothing really came of it. 

Actually thought the switch to the right was a bit pointless and premature. 

He did decently I thought, wish he’d converted that chance though. 

Thought he did alright. Not sure I’d go with him and Murphy on the pitch at the same time right now, but… we won, so 🤷‍♂️

It’s a squad game, he ran the fuck out of his man the first half but ultimately came up short on when around the goal. Maybe next time he gets a goal and assist. We shall see. Onto the next game. 

I've just seen his one-on-one miss. Those chances aren't always as simple as they might seem. It fell to his weaker foot and he had to hit it in that stride because a defender was about to catch him. And it only just missed.

He hasn't hit his Everton form of last season. Maybe it's a case of a young lad making an initial impact, followed by a step back when opposition players suss him out a bit. As others have said, hopefully, he can push on once Eddie and his team have the chance to work with him in the summer.

Edited by Cronky

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

How can you know yet if he's a £40 million player when he is so young? At his age the fee is not for the player he is right now.

Who on Earth thought Joelinton was a £40 million player when we bought him for example? He's ended up being worth even more than that.

Just relax and let the man settle in. Way too early for making all these calls on the guy.

I said ‘people have suggested’ not that ‘people know’.  

I saw a fair bit of him at Everton didn’t rate him as a player. I think Olise has 40m talent potentially. I think Lavia does. I just don’t see it with Gordon. 

Nobody’s buying Joelinton for more than the 40m we paid. And we played Joelinton in the wrong position for years. We are playing Gordon in his best positions.  I’d rather we continued buying the likes of Bruno G for 40m than Gordon’s, wouldn’t you?

I’ve never rated the lad. He’s lucky he’s come into a great team because his performances largely don’t matter. I think he’s a great impact sub at the moment. He’ll score a goal sooner or later against tiring legs and hopefully he kicks on from there and proves me wrong.  But like I’ve said - I’ve never thought the lad has serious ability as a winger or wide forward. Maybe he’ll convert to a 8 or 9 or something and be mega at that. Maybe. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I said ‘people have suggested’ not that ‘people know’.  

I saw a fair bit of him at Everton didn’t rate him as a player. I think Olise has 40m talent potentially. I think Lavia does. I just don’t see it with Gordon. 

Nobody’s buying Joelinton for more than the 40m we paid. And we played Joelinton in the wrong position for years. We are playing Gordon in his best positions.  I’d rather we continued buying the likes of Bruno G for 40m than Gordon’s, wouldn’t you?

I’ve never rated the lad. He’s lucky he’s come into a great team because his performances largely don’t matter. I think he’s a great impact sub at the moment. He’ll score a goal sooner or later against tiring legs and hopefully he kicks on from there and proves me wrong.  But like I’ve said - I’ve never thought the lad has serious ability as a winger or wide forward. Maybe he’ll convert to a 8 or 9 or something and be mega at that. Maybe. 

Not sure if I’ve misunderstood - do you really not think a team would pay £40m for Joelinton?

It’s just the standard criticism of players which basically comes down to just not liking a guy tbh. Done it myself with Murphy, but with the recent improvements the management have made to loads of our players with time and support, I’ve no idea why people feel the need to get on the lad’s case so early on. 

6 hours ago, KaKa said:

You people never learn man. It's like you're desperate to make a fool of yourself :lol:

How may players at the club will be written off only to end up embarrassing you lot. Humble yourself.

You're a right condescending prick at times.  People are allowed to have their own opinions you know.

7 hours ago, KaKa said:

How can you know yet if he's a £40 million player when he is so young? At his age the fee is not for the player he is right now.

Who on Earth thought Joelinton was a £40 million player when we bought him for example? He's ended up being worth even more than that.

Just relax and let the man settle in. Way too early for making all these calls on the guy.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment that he needs to be given time to settle in the squad, but generally speaking (looking past outliers like Joelinton) 22 years of age in football today is not an age you consider someone for the future. It's an age where a player should be able to make an immediate impact (especially if it's for a high fee) in the first team. If Gordon starts performing well soon, it'll more likely be more down to him getting used to the club, system, players etc rather than having improved as a football player mentally, technically and physically since we signed him.

He did well against Southampton when he was playing on the left, but fell out of the game completely when he switched sides with Murphy which is probably why he ended up getting subbed as Isak was taking the left side.

Edited by Conjo

Just now, Conjo said:

Not that I disagree with the sentiment that he needs to be given time to settle in the squad, but generally speaking (looking past outliers like Joelinton) 22 years of age in football today is not an age you consider someone for the future. It's an age where a player should be able to make an immediate impact (especially if it's for a high fee) in the first team. If Gordon starts performing well soon, it'll more likely be more down to him getting used to the club, system, players etc rather than having improved as a football player mentally, technically and physically.

He did well against Southampton when he was playing on the left, but fell out of the game completely when he switched sides with Murphy which is probably why he ended up getting subbed as Isak was taking the left side.

Whole different conversation had he chipped the keeper going straight in. Seems that way to me anyway.

2 minutes ago, McDog said:

Whole different conversation had he chipped the keeper going straight in. Seems that way to me anyway.

Goes without saying really :lol:

The lad was literally an inch or so away from opening the scoring.  I thought he looked canny yesterday - not perfect, but clearly he has talent and an engine.  He’s at the right club with the right manager / coaching team to improve him over the coming months and years.  The £40m price tag includes about £20m of ‘English premium’ - it might be worth remembering that UEFA has rules on HG players.  You need local national team players in your club; we knew we weren’t signing the finished article - and if we knew, you can sure as shit guarantee Howe and Ashworth knew that too 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

The lad was literally an inch or so away from opening the scoring.  I thought he looked canny yesterday - not perfect, but clearly he has talent and an engine.  He’s at the right club with the right manager / coaching team to improve him over the coming months and years.  The £40m price tag includes about £20m of ‘English premium’ - it might be worth remembering that UEFA has rules on HG players.  You need local national team players in your club; we knew we weren’t signing the finished article - and if we knew, you can sure as shit guarantee Howe and Ashworth knew that too 

Absolutely. It does play into it.