Anthony Gordon

Jack27

I think most fans frustration, and mine in particular is I thought he was absolutely shite at Everton, thought it was mental the fee Chelsea were offering. He was then shit for Everton half the season. 

Hes done nothing to show me otherwise and it just feels like a wasted signing and a position we will have to upgrade. He's shown no more than Anderson who is 2 years younger.

8 hours ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

His tactical awareness and application is shocking, I thought that’s why we signed him. Can’t be for his technical ability.

He’s very inexperienced tbf.  

8 hours ago, dcmk said:

A lot of the same comments were aimed at Almiron not long ago.

Let's at least give him a pre-season.

Almirons had a great season. He’s still not a great player and will never be. Would hope for more ability than that from Gordon. 

1 minute ago, TRC said:

I think most fans frustration, and mine in particular is I thought he was absolutely shite at Everton, thought it was mental the fee Chelsea were offering. He was then shit for Everton half the season. 

Hes done nothing to show me otherwise and it just feels like a wasted signing and a position we will have to upgrade. He's shown no more than Anderson who is 2 years younger.

Semi agree. Has shown a bit more than Anderson. But it’s marginal. 

44 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

He seemed to slow down play too much when he was 1 on 1 on the right hand side. He would then turn back and pass to Trippier. It's almost like he hasn't got the skillset to dribble past a defender with a stepover or quick change of direction. 

Absurd that a footballer is that out of form the the won’t even just do a take on. 

He looks scared to make a mistake to me. It’s not out of the question that he’s aware a lot of fans are on his back online/social media and he’s terrified of trying something that doesn’t come off which would only increase the negative comments.

It’s not being unfair to say he hasn’t really contributed since signing. But Howe sees it and at some point we will too.

Was far more annoyed by Maxi today so not really sure why AG is getting so much hate.

The wealth of hate for AG on here and through other media outlets is driven by two things - first is on-pitch results, second is an unfounded agenda.

Let's be totally honest here. Gordon went from being the wunderkind of a massive club on a major decline to the smallest fish in a newly renovated pond with a fanbase who didn't want him. As a winger who received collegiate offers (small potatoes, sure, but), I would be SHITTING myself to take a wingback on if I knew the moment I lost possession it'd be the only thing discussed for weeks by my own fans. It's getting absolutely ridiculous.

Gordon is one of our own now. Whether you like it or not. Let him create. Let him make errors. Let him develop.

All these people acting like we should be winning the UCL this season and every young player we sign should be Vinicius reincarnate when we had 5 points in november a season ago. Get a grip for Christ's sake. So ungrateful

2 hours ago, NWMag said:

He looks scared to make a mistake to me. It’s not out of the question that he’s aware a lot of fans are on his back online/social media and he’s terrified of trying something that doesn’t come off which would only increase the negative comments.

I said that earlier in the thread. At that time, Gordon's passing completion rate was the same as a center half, i.e., short easy passes only.

In Gordon's first appearance, the ball zipped of him and he hit one our passes of the season, an epic throughball to Wilson who was stopped by that great covering tackle. He looked a class above. I don't know what's happened since.

I didn't see it side on, but how close was the Firpo foul to a penalty? It won't have been far away. 

8 hours ago, cajuntoon said:

The wealth of hate for AG on here and through other media outlets is driven by two things - first is on-pitch results, second is an unfounded agenda.

Let's be totally honest here. Gordon went from being the wunderkind of a massive club on a major decline to the smallest fish in a newly renovated pond with a fanbase who didn't want him. As a winger who received collegiate offers (small potatoes, sure, but), I would be SHITTING myself to take a wingback on if I knew the moment I lost possession it'd be the only thing discussed for weeks by my own fans. It's getting absolutely ridiculous.

Gordon is one of our own now. Whether you like it or not. Let him create. Let him make errors. Let him develop.

All these people acting like we should be winning the UCL this season and every young player we sign should be Vinicius reincarnate when we had 5 points in november a season ago. Get a grip for Christ's sake. So ungrateful

For 45 million I expect much much more. Considering what that can get you in terms of talent outside England. We should have spent the cash better.

9 hours ago, cajuntoon said:

He’s never been a wonder kid 

14 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He’s never been a wonder kid 

Wonder kid is putting it a bit strong, but he did stand out at Everton. He played with a lot of fire and freedom, and I did take notice of him at that earlier stage. I was pleased when we signed him.

He did lose his regular starting spot at Everton this season, so I'm wondering a bit where this loss of form or confidence came in. Maybe he got disillusioned with all that was going on at Everton, and stopped enjoying his football.  Getting that edge back may be quite difficult. It's not like flicking a switch.

Fine margins. What if he'd been able to bury that chance in the final minute? He'd have got a last-gap winner in an important game and walked off a hero.

4 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Wonder kid is putting it a bit strong, but he did stand out at Everton. He played with a lot of fire and freedom, and I did take notice of him at that earlier stage. I was pleased when we signed him.

He did lose his regular starting spot at Everton this season, so I'm wondering a bit where this loss of form or confidence came in. Maybe he got disillusioned with all that was going on at Everton, and stopped enjoying his football.  Getting that edge back may be quite difficult. It's not like flicking a switch.

Fine margins. What if he'd been able to bury that chance in the final minute? He'd have got a last-gap winner in an important game and walked off a hero.

He stood out for me more for his running and work rate rather than any sort of technical quality. The concerning thing so far for us is he doesn’t seem to put in any work off the ball. He’s pretty lazy out of possession imo.

Eddie has already said that he needs a full pre season to get up to speed and fully understand our way of playing.

I think a lot of the criticism on here and other sites is unfair. Eddie obviously sees a lot of potential in the lad so give him time.

Just now, jackyboy said:

Eddie has already said that he needs a full pre season to get up to speed and fully understand our way of playing.

I think a lot of the criticism on here and other sites is unfair. Eddie obviously sees a lot of potential in the lad so give him time.

Some of it may be a bit over the top, but I think most of it is fair considering the price we paid and the lack of quality so far.

He might come good but a dumb signing at the time. We needed a player that could come in more or less straight away out wide. For that money we could easily have got someone who offers more than Gordon and our other options out wide. Hopefully he will come good and not be a waste of money. Signing him hasn’t helped us this season like it should have. 

Just now, TheGuv said:

He’ll come good man. 

Looking forward to reading back and quoting in this thread next season when he’s starting regularly and performing well. 

Everyone hopes to see that happen, I’m not convinced though.

2 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

He’ll come good man. 

Looking forward to reading back and quoting in this thread next season when he’s starting regularly and performing well. 

Hopefully he will. I still think it was the wrong signing at the time. We should have signed someone who could help us push forward this season already. Not spending this much on a player that might come good later. I also don’t see him as certainly becoming top class either.

Edited by Ikon

I’m not as convinced as others. But obviously hope it works out for him. 

His end product was crap at Everton and it’s not been much better here. Granted, he’s had limited chances to prove himself. 

Early days at Everton. I remember being really impressed with how direct, fast and skilful he was. Plus the fact he played off both feet. Maybe it was because he was an unknown quantity when he first burst on the scene, or perhaps he played with more freedom. But he hasn’t played like that in a long while now. 

I think he’ll end up being a squad player, which might be fine in the long run. Just a big fee for someone at this stage. 

He's short on confidence, it's as simple as that.

I've seen nothing in his short time on the pitch to suggest he's a bad player or lacks a fundamental quality he's just struggling to get any rhythm. 

A pre-season away from this sort of scrutiny will do him a world of good.

I haven’t seen much of him so don’t feel qualified to say if he’s worth the money or not, but I would suspect that coming from a team which has been so shit for so long, at which you’ve spent your whole career, it is going to take a while to “wash that off” and be in a position to start delivering your best. Imagine what playing for Everton does to your confidence. 

I’d suggest giving him a pass for this season and seeing what he does next year. 

Of course, that’s easy for me to say with it not being my club.