Anthony Gordon: named NUFC Player of the Season (Official)

Jack27

I find it impossible to really dislike anyone involved with the day-to-day club these days: certainly no one on the playing staff. Tbh, that has been the case ever since Rafa turned the dressing room upside down in 2016, excluding some incidental frustrations during the Bruce days. I resented a few players in those days - the likes of Shelvey, Carroll, Hendrick - but ultimately I wasn't paying close enough attention to the matches and no longer rooting for the club, so it was mostly ambivalence or a bit of "go on, son," towards those who weren't afraid to call a spade a cunt.

It's remarkable just how long the playing staff has been mostly likeable but last season was the best it's been in years and years. Every one just a cracking lad, with some absolute diamonds among them. I dunno if there's been a better bloke play for us in my lifetime than Dan Burn, like. :lol: Trippier, Schar, Longstaff, Wilson, Bruno... all of them - they're just absolute belters. And so far, Gordon is just as deserving imo. He's committed as hell and comes across very well off the pitch. 

A lot of the fanbase is emotional and reactive.

He had a few bad games, and some were calling him total shit. When he's never been. I think the criticism of the Jan window and some of his play was fair at the time, but as usual, some go overboard.

The same is happening again and is happening the opposite way. 6 good games and a lot of people think he's absolutely mint.

It happens with a lot of our players and fans on here. Sissoko was the best thing since sliced bread and his shortcomings were all Pardew's fault. Then he was worse than shit and a total waste. Neither was ever true. Ditto Cisse. Some similarities with Bruno G - absolutely world-class at first.. then people are saying 7.5/10 performances aren't good enough.

On 21/01/2023 at 10:33, 80 said:

Fwiw, I've always had a feeling this one would happen. Nothing logical in that, but I have. The kid has got something. Can't say I'm wild about it but it's amazing how opinions can change over time...

Pretty prescient, I'm happy with that one :)

Wasn't sure about paying £45m but with the growth in transfer values occurring in the market at that time, it was pretty reasonable in retrospect.

Feel pretty good about this one:

On 01/06/2023 at 12:01, timeEd32 said:

I think one of the things likely setting some people up for disappointment or confusion in this window is the general perception of Gordon vs. how Ashworth / Howe view him.

We know Howe eases players in and we heard from the player himself that his fitness was not up to the standard. Assuming he fixes that I think it's a mistake to assume our first XI doesn't include him or that he's at least not a big part of our plans. I think comments like "Howe clearly likes Joelinton more at LW" or "why did we pay £45M for a squad player?" are making potentially faulty assumptions.

It's not clear to me if we like him for his versatility and may use him in a number of positions moving forward or if we used him in a few places out of need. But if we don't bring in an obvious RW or we sell Maxi and don't replace him or if we don't bring in competition for Longstaff then I think it's possible the answer to any of those is Gordon.

He's in a great run of form. I hope he keeps it up, but it's a really great sign that he took his struggles and Howe's comments to heart and really put the work in over the summer. He's been excellent from the Euros through the preseason and up to now. It might be tough with injuries, but I hope we find some opportunities to rest him. Not to get too far ahead but it would be really great if he's able to end this season with a place in England's squad at the Euros.

On 24/01/2023 at 13:16, BonesJones said:

I'm no Gordon fan but the logic of he scored only x goals last season really doesn't work. You can apply the same to Almiron, and a bunch of our players we thought weren't good enough

In terms of our playstyle it's hard to say Gordon wouldn't be an improvement over ASM if we were to play him LW for the pressing alone. Which could have a knock on effect down the left hand side, we could play with a more attacking LB if we knew the LW would track back.

As it's the in thing atm.

Not as good as my Jacob Murphy one though.

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

Hard to see him not getting our player of the season award as things stand. Still raw but he's taking a lot of responsibility on and becoming totemic for us.

This Botman boy might have a shout. The young lad Trippier also looks a prospect.

6 hours ago, Paully said:

love this!

Fucking mad a difference him becoming one of ours makes. Properly feel for him in the first clip now for some reason. :lol: Like he was some tortured soul that needed to be saved from the hell that was the scouse mackems.

Great shift tonight.

He looks confident and sure of himself and that’s putting the shits up the defenders he’s facing.

I’m hoping his pace and willingness to run at players will mean they stand an extra yard off him and that gives him that fraction more time to play a mean pass. 
And if they get tight, knock it down the line and test their hamstrings 😉

I think he made a really important decision to leave his boyhood team and join us to develop. We would not be seeing this level from him if he was still at Everton. Howe and the coaching staff have fast tracked his development remarkably. Even in just the short time he's been here you can see the improvements in his game already. 

Obviously got himself into peak cardio fitness this summer which helps, but he looks to have filled out abit more aswell and has shown good strength in his duals. 

No pressure on the boy as he's still developing, but he's already surpassed my expectations of him for this year so keep going lad.👍 

He didn't give a great perception at Everton, was known for diving and really wound me up as an opposition player. I hold my hands up though, although he didn't start well, he held his hands up and worked hard to get to where Howe envisioned him and he's probably surpassed expectation.

He's had a great season so far, ran tirelessly, harried and harassed defenses to win the ball back and ran his socks off to get us forward. As I said in another thread he turned the game with his tenacity to win the ball back right across the pitch and fired not only the crowd up but the players too. Typified the change in approach to the game 2nf half today.

I wasn't impressed when we got him, wouldn't let him go for anything at the moment. Brilliant attitude on the lad, deserves the plaudits he's getting for the work he's put in, long may it continue.

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He's going to be absolutely fucking knackered by the end of the season like :lol:

He really does need some rest at some point or he’s going to hit a wall in the spring. But we may just need to lean on him for a bit here given the injuries.