[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

I think people are looking/fearing a bit much.

If you look at Man Utd’s recent games they haven’t played massively well. They have been conceding at the back, and even a poorly performing Leeds team were able to go to Old Trafford, and take a 2 goal lead before throwing the game away.

Ok we do not look our best right now, but Man Utd look beatable as well.

As I’ve said, they will have played 4 times between our game this weekend and the Cup Final, compared to our 1 game. They will also play 2 times between our Liverpool game and the final.

They will be and always were going to be favourites, but we have probably just as much of a chance as they do.

Aside from their arrogance, I doubt many on their side would be massively relishing playing us either.

Edited by Stifler

Just now, Stifler said:

I think people are looking/fearing a bit much.

If you look at Man Utd’s recent games they haven’t played massively well. They have been conceding at the back, and even a poorly performing Leeds team were able to go to Old Trafford, and take a 2 goal lead before throwing the game away.

Ok we do not look our best right now, but Man Utd look beatable as well.

As I’ve said, they will have played 4 times between our game this weekend and the Cup Final, compared to our 1 game. They will also play 2 times between our Liverpool game and the final.

They will be an always we’re going to be favourites, but we have probably just as much of a chance as they do.

Aside from their arrogance, I doubt many on their side would be massively relishing playing us either.

I watched them today and they looked confident and sharp. They were playing Leeds who are not top competition but they scare me for sure.

29 minutes ago, McDog said:

I watched them today and they looked confident and sharp. They were playing Leeds who are not top competition but they scare me for sure.

Until they scored their first goal in the 80th minute, Leeds looked by far the more threatening team

Just now, et tu brute said:

Until they scored their first goal in the 80th minute, Leeds looked by far the more threatening team

Didn't look that way to me. I for sure enjoyed the game but I disagree who looked better. You did say more threating so that's fine.  

4 hours ago, McDog said:

Must have watched a different game to me because I thought they were incredibly sloppy, kept on giving the ball away but were lucky that Leeds didn't take advantage 

25 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

The trust did a video thing last night. Was there any more information on how the ballots are going to be done?

Nah, they don’t really know anything we don’t. You can watch it again on YouTube but there’s no great insight tbh

6 hours ago, et tu brute said:

They were, but there's a good chance that entire back four is different for the cup final. 

It was Dalot, Maguire, Shaw, Malacia yesterday. It could be AWB, Varane, Martinez, Shaw for the cup final. 

We didn't look great yesterday but we had a few injuries and rested players and still got the win. I wouldn't read into it too much. I'm not expecting the same Newcastle that played Bournemouth at the weekend. 

2 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Must have watched a different game to me because I thought they were incredibly sloppy, kept on giving the ball away but were lucky that Leeds didn't take advantage 

99% of the mistakes were Maguire. :lol: he won't be anywhere near the pitch unless we're defending a slim lead near the end. 

11 minutes ago, Froggy said:

They were, but there's a good chance that entire back four is different for the cup final. 

It was Dalot, Maguire, Shaw, Malacia yesterday. It could be AWB, Varane, Martinez, Shaw for the cup final. 

We didn't look great yesterday but we had a few injuries and rested players and still got the win. I wouldn't read into it too much. I'm not expecting the same Newcastle that played Bournemouth at the weekend. 

99% of the mistakes were Maguire. :lol: he won't be anywhere near the pitch unless we're defending a slim lead near the end. 

Yeah even though Man United weren't great it was clear that Ten Haag has an eye on Thursday.

Our biggest advantage is your fixture pile up and the risk of injury or fatigue.

I suspect Ten Haag will rest a couple in the second left vs Barcelona if he can but then he's prioritised the cups when talking, so who knows.

7 hours ago, McDog said:

Lol wut. 

They were dominated for 80 min. Sure you were watching the right game?

8 hours ago, McDog said:

Leeds were the better team, comfortably, throughout the second half. But Man Utd have quality up front so they were always capable of popping up with the goals as they did.

On 10/02/2023 at 15:42, Geordie Magpie said:

Was thinking parking Harrow on Hill as it looks easy for tubes into Trafalgar Square and Wembley.

Aiming to get into London for 10am on the Sunday, reckon finding somewhere to park in Harrow will be sound? 

Aye mate youll be sound

Howe should get an idea of how long Willock and Wilson are out for early this week. If there's any risk at all they won't play, we need to be working on that ASM-Isak combination. If we pick up no more injuries (fingers crossed), we should still have a familiar midfield three of Bruno, Joe and Longstaff, with the Trippier-Bruno-Almiron combo down the right. 

ASM and Isak played like perfect strangers at the weekend, understandably so. But if they're both going to be starting over the next few weeks, we need them match fit and playing with the best understanding they possibly can. I'm sure being as meticulous as he is, Howe is already fully aware.

Willock looked to have his hammy issue before the game.  He looked miles off it.  Was either strapped before or during the match and then he had to come off.  I can't imagine we'll be seeing him for a while.  Shit that he probably misses the final.  For us as a team and also for him personally. 

I think he has been carrying a knock for a while.  I'm sure I've seen him flexing his knee and hamstring a couple of times across different games of late and then slightly limping about in obvious discomfort. 

On 11/02/2023 at 13:28, mondonewc said:

Followed all the info from @thelondonmags about availability for some bars, and I know bars around Wembley aren't allowed to show the game but I assume there'll be places that are for Newcastle fans only showing the game nearer to Wembley than a 25-30 minute tube journey? 

Two of us heading down but only one has a ticket so limits options for fan zones etc as you need a match ticket. Want to organise somewhere as near as possible to Wembley that will show the game, anyone know best options or whats people's plans in similar spot? 

Also are people booking pubs now or expect will be plenty places to just turn up that are Newcastle fans only?

Cheers for any input.

https://www.greenwoodlondon.com/
By chance I was in London at the weekend and found this to watch the Bournemouth game.
It is by Victoria Station but can easy hold 500 and screens everywhere including 2 massive ones.
And they are showing the Cup Final

I think London might be lively that weekend!

I reckon we’ll take about 60K

Man Utd will take a lot 

Bournemouth vs Man City 5.30pm Saturday 

Palace vs Liverpool 7.45pm Saturday 

Spurs vs Chelsea 1.30pm Sunday 

Sweet Jesus!

9 minutes ago, Paully said:

Man Utd will take a lot 

Sweet Jesus!

Rugby on that weekend too no? 

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Man Utd will take a lot 

Sweet Jesus!

Could be interesting around KX and Euston on the Saturday.

Edited by Whitley mag