[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

Eddie Howe might feel like he has 99 problems amid Newcastle’s goalkeeping crisis, but 99 years ago his predecessors, a selection committee, had exactly the same issue - and duly won the Cup with their emergency keeper as man-of-the-match.

In an echo of events of nearly a century ago, the Magpies will be without first choice Nick Pope for tomorrow’s Carabao Cup final against Manchester United. 

He is suspended and Loris Karius, in what will be his Newcastle debut, is set to make his first appearance in two years.

Back in 1924, and ahead of the FA Cup final with Aston Villa, Sandy Mutch suffered what would prove a career-ending knee injury, ironically in a league fixture against Villa.

He had been one of only two senior players included for the 6-1 defeat just five days before the final.

That meant a call-up for Gateshead-born Bill Bradley, who had not played for the first-team in three months.

At the same time as Mutch was injuring his knee in a collision with a forward, Bradley was turning out for the reserves in a defeat by South Shields in the final of the Newcastle Infirmary Cup.

The 31-year-old joined up with the squad at their Harrow base and was only told he was playing on the morning of the final after Mutch failed to recover.

It was Newcastle’s first appearance at Wembley - finals were played there from 1923 - and thanks to goals from Neil Harris and Stan Seymour they had their second FA Cup following a 2-0 victory. Seymour was later manager when they won the Cup in 1951 and 1952.

But the star of this final was Bradley. The Evening Chronicle ran the headline ’Brilliant Bradley’ and called him the ‘hero of the match’. 

They wrote: ‘Bradley played the game of his life, and his masterly display went a long way towards the success.’

There is a picture of the smiling keeper before the game, jet-black hair and handsome, shaking hands with the Duke of York, later King George VI.

Bradley, however, was king for the day. The Daily Mail report by Frank Thorogood makes six mentions of his saves.

Bradley, who had served as a gunner during the First World War, played for Newcastle until 1927 and later retired to Tyneside, where he ran a newsagents.

Howe can only hope that Karius is making similar headlines come Monday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11789991/Loris-Karius-create-Newcastle-United-history-makes-club-debut-League-Cup-final.html

Just starting to realise I'm going to be am absolutely wreck watching this game. Purely mean that from the excitement and chance we might, just might, actually fucking win something. Scary. I expect heartache, as that's very us for my living memory of Newcastle, just like England.

I have a weird feeling this could be our moment. Bruno in the middle raises the game of every one of our players. This will be different to recent form for sure.

1 minute ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Sorry but it's a 3-0 defeat tomorrow. Manu are in form and we are struggling to score a goal. Not a result I want but just being realistic!!!

You ok hun?

2 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Sorry but it's a 3-0 defeat tomorrow. Manu are in form and we are struggling to score a goal. Not a result I want but just being realistic!!!

shut up ya' tarts arse.

5 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

You called it a tin pot cup anyway, so why are you even bothered?

9 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Absolute whopper.

I consider myself a realist when it comes to league games, not one of those that thinks we can win every game and think form etc should be factored in

But this is very much different, it's a one off game 

Our fans will be better and we have players than can hurt them as much as they have players that can hurt us

We can win this and that's the mentality we all need to have for tomorrow, pessimism/realism can take a day off