Newcastle United 0-2 Liverpool (18/02/2023)

Disco

5 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Will have been mentioned already, but why are we incapable of holding a minute’s silence? 

Liverpool fans started clapping when they mentioned Atsu and by the time they said min silence everyone was clapping including the players.

Nay idea who was on commentary today but it was absolute Liverpool propaganda from start to finish [emoji38]

I don't usually buy into the 'footy media is overtly bias toward x' because they usually just ebb and flow with whoever is winning, but today, bloody hell. Full on waxing lyrical left and right, at one point they just stopped talking about the match and just read out their Wikipedia page of achievements, I'm sure of it [emoji38]. Mental.

I found it interesting listening to Rafa, particularly his comments about always covering the space behind a centre back.

I've never quite understood why we've been conceding so few goals, because the back four lack pace, we don't have a defensive midfielder and yes, our centre backs do often get exposed one-on-one. I've assumed our defensive record must be down to the technicalities of Eddie's intelligent organisation, and how well we judge when to press. And, ironically, how quickly Pope gets out to sweep up danger. Earlier in the match, there was a situation where he almost ended up on the half way line.

So Houston we have a problem next week, but Eddie is one clever hombre, so let's keep the faith.

I’m a bit baffled by the optimism on here tbh. We were 2-0 down with 11 on the field and they were picking us off at will on the counter until the sending off. After that they just took their foot off the gas. I’m still confident that we will finish the season strongly but the cup final has come at exactly the wrong time for us. We are right out of form at the moment and it’s asking too much of Bruno to come back into the team and turn us around IMO.

Edited by Wandy

6 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Think the rant about the remark about people leaving early was mostly about the result.

Its been a hardy perennial and by no means just here, for thirty years now.

Its been happening far too much, and granted there are valid reasons people leave early. Its more aimed at those who leave with 5 mins to go (where do you have to get to?) and those who stayed to the final whistle but then didn't clap the team after. Its a small thing and many who did leave won't care, but if you're there you support the team. We played well minus 3 silly mistakes and should have scored at least twice. Would we have still won, maybe not but you support and reward the effort not just the result. 

Next Sunday is a one off game, anything can happen and I'm just glad we are there. Hopefully we have Willock back as he was a big miss today, add in Bruno and anything is possible.

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I’m a bit baffled by the optimism on here tbh. We were 2-0 down with 11 on the field and they were picking us off at will on the counter until the sending off. After that they just took their foot off the gas. I’m still confident that we will finish the season strongly but the cup final has come at exactly the wrong time for us. We are right out of form at the moment and it’s asking too much of Bruno to come back into the team and turn us around IMO.

I think after that first 25 minutes the optimism is we didn't get hammered by 4/5 goals. We still managed to create some chances and arguably could have had 3 goals had Miggy, Wilson and Burn converted their chances.

It was two quality assists from Liverpool, although the fact this was right through the centre of our defence is a concern. I think post match it was picked up, but the space in behind, given their pace, was poor from us. I think our high standards have slipped a little bit, but we've lost two Premier League matches all season and I'd expect teams will have a dip. 

4 minutes ago, robbo_11 said:

I think after that first 25 minutes the optimism is we didn't get hammered by 4/5 goals. We still managed to create some chances and arguably could have had 3 goals had Miggy, Wilson and Burn converted their chances.

It was two quality assists from Liverpool, although the fact this was right through the centre of our defence is a concern. I think post match it was picked up, but the space in behind, given their pace, was poor from us. I think our high standards have slipped a little bit, but we've lost two Premier League matches all season and I'd expect teams will have a dip. 

I think the main reason we didn’t get hammered is because they just aren’t that good right now. A good team would have rubbed our noses in it.

I still think we have a good chance of top 4 if we pull ourselves back together soon. Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea simply don’t look good enough to guarantee themselves that 4th spot.

Just now, jack j said:

Cant manage a minutes silence but most managed 90 minutes silence

Our support is fucking shit

harsh.

the minute silence became a celebration of his life.

and the atmosphere today was the best in absolutely ages.

2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

harsh.

the minute silence became a celebration of his life.

and the atmosphere today was the best in absolutely ages.

You've got to be kidding me. It was quiet right from the kick off. After the sending off the crowd needed to get their finger out and up the intensity. They didn't though, and instead just waited for something to happen.

9 minutes ago, Wandy said:

You've got to be kidding me. It was quiet right from the kick off. After the sending off the crowd needed to get their finger out and up the intensity. They didn't though, and instead just waited for something to happen.

:lol: I think most of the crowd were shellshocked that we were 2 down with our first choice keeper about to miss the biggest game we've played in decades

Not to mention another 70 mins with 10 men

56 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I think the main reason we didn’t get hammered is because they just aren’t that good right now. A good team would have rubbed our noses in it.

I still think we have a good chance of top 4 if we pull ourselves back together soon. Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea simply don’t look good enough to guarantee themselves that 4th spot.

Agree with this totally. 

11 minutes ago, joeyt said:

:lol: I think most of the crowd were shellshocked that we were 2 down with our first choice keeper about to miss the biggest game we've played in decades

Not to mention another 70 mins with 10 men

Nah sick of the excuses about the home crowd, folk were saying the crowd was nervous against Southampton in the semi.

It’s a myth that St James is a great atmosphere portrayed by the media, the current home support must rank as the most sterile, boring and unimaginative in the country. 

The lads from Wor Flags are salt of the earth, but they’re masking what has become an absolutely soulless match day experience.

Edited by Whitley mag

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Nah sick of the excuses about the home crowd, folk were saying the crowd was nervous against Southampton in the semi.

It’s a myth that St James is a great atmosphere portrayed by the media, the current home support must rank as the most sterile, boring and unimaginative in the country. 

The lads from Wor Flags are salt of the earth, but they’re masking what has become an absolutely soulless match day experience.

Disagree with about every word of that

13 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Disagree with about every word of that

What's wrong with what he has said?

We have a home crowd that doesnt have a songbook in the slightest, apart from that puerile Bruno In The Middle crap, which is in itself a rip-off of an already wank Arsenal song. And in addition, the same crowd who think waving a flag about for 5 mins before kick off is creating a match atmosphere.

The media aren't helping by falsely blowing smoke up our arse. I'd actually like a pundit to step forward and tell it like it is, and say our support is vastly overrated.

Next weekend I fully expect Man Utd to outsing us at Wembley. As loathesome as they are, the one thing they have is a great songbook.

Edited by Wandy

1 hour ago, Danh1 said:

Yet they still read 20000 birthday messages out at half time. 

18 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Thought it would of been intense after the away game. 

It should have been. Been back to St James a few times post-Howe after a long time, and it just feels like rich people are buying tickets because they can, and a few years ago they would have been buying tickets to watch Chelsea.

9 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

I was backrow of the gallowgate today, first time Ive been in the Gallowgate since 93/94 when it was a terrace. I thought the atmosphere was brilliant, constant singing, I can still hardly speak from singing the whole game. Vastly different from my usual position in the Leazes where no one says a word. I have a feeling that the roof on the gallowagte must block the sound or something if no one could hear us.

Used to always try and get a ticket in the Gallowgate. My mates seats in the Leazes are superb. But it’s always dead there.

The sound just doesn’t carry round the stadium, full stop. Steawberry corner sometimes gets going loud enough so others join in and you can hear it on the TV. 

Used to have my ST up in L7 and I’ve been in there with neutrals who couldn’t believe how loud and lively it was. Watch it back on the box and you hear fuck all. 

Its a myth anywhere is a good atmosphere now but somewhere still has to be the best.

Watch other games as critically as you do ours and you'll see that.

TAA today, Graham Potter, Marco Silva and radio Nottinghamshire that I know of have all said otherwise this season alone.

Comparing it to how it was in the 90s is oranges and apples. Compare it to what else is out there now. 

You could apply the same to the football too or the meaningfulness of the league cup now v then if you really want to get depressed or live in the now maybe.