Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Loved the whistling when they had the ball. Loved the “go onnnn” when we were pressing. Class when the crowd is so involved like that man.

SJP is special man. 

EDIT - looked like loads more stood than usual as well, belta 

Edited by Danh1

5 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

By 8.02 the flags will have been put away and 90% of ground will be sat in relative silence, pissing and moaning about summat that a player hasn’t even done yet 

Amirite ?

no. 

I need to go to bed but I’ll say … 

I’ve never experienced SJP like that and im 39 years old. I was there for the 4-4 I was there for the 5-1 but tonight, the stadium was just about full with 30 minutes to go to kick off and everyone was singing the whole game. 

also, nod to the PSG fans, they helped create a great atmosphere, they were so loud until the 4th. 

What a game. What a day. 

Edited by Elliottman

Best I've ever seen SJP. Was up in Level 7 and it was great up there. Voice is gone now. I genuinely think I almost fainted after Longstaffs goal. Very proud of us tonight. 

PSG fans were relentless but I can't say I'm a fan of European style choreographed noise lead by a drummer. Simply doesn't ebb and flow like an English away end and it becomes like background noise, it's almost like it has no relation to the football on the pitch. 

Competition is high but that sounded like it takes the #1 spot. 

Going to be jealous of a lot of people for a long time. One work colleague in particular.... he was dishonest about it to me, the prick... but we're all friends tonight.

Yeah, that was comfortably the best I’ve ever seen St James’. Absolutely unreal from start to finish. Even that spell after they scored, the crowd roared them on. Singing all over the ground, people out of their seats. Phenomenal.

I was there for 5-0 in 96, 7-1 in 96, the 5-1 Sunderland game, the 6-1 Spurs game, and that was comfortably the best. What a night!

Level 7 for Burnley and Gallowgate tonight 😂

Two wins, but the atmosphere and experience was  a million miles apart.

The last ten minutes tonight you could actually feel the stand "bouncing" 

Ah man, I'm wrecked 🍻

Unbelievable. The whole ground was rocking at times. Millburn and Leazes gave it a good go. The best I've ever heard St James' Park.

Though I was in the center most block of the gallowgate, which is surprisingly quiet, some extremely miserable folk in there [emoji38] worth it for the view though 

Edited by TheDimpleboy

Got in (Leazes) about 45/50 mins before ko. 

Never in my days have I known the concourse like that so long before ko. Absolutely rammed. People singing.

I knew at that point it was going to be something special. When you get a team that knows how to harness and use that atmosphere, it’s amazing.

A word on the PSG fans - totally agree with what someone said elsewhere about generally not being a fan of the contrived atmosphere that these European clubs create - BUT - fair fucks to them last night as they were pretty relentless, and you can’t say they didn’t add to the occasion, especially leading up to ko, when they were great.

I actually thought that in a way they helped us. Thinking back to the semi final last season when you had that period for a lot of the second half, where you could almost feel a really nervous sense of disquiet sweep across the stadium, it could have been like that after they scored last night. But when you’ve got some mad fucker relentlessly banging a drum that sounds like machine gun fire, you don’t get the same uneasy eeriness.

Also final word on Wor Flags. Had the pleasure of having @Heron and crew not far in front of us doing the ‘We are the Geordie Boys’ sign. Singing non-stop pre-display. A particular highlight being ‘you can shove your Eiffel Tower up your arse’ 😂

Edited by SteV

9 minutes ago, Paully said:

Best atmosphere I've experienced at SJP and best away fans I've seen!

The concourse was absolutely bonkers 45 mins before kick-off!

Well done everyone!

What was happening at the bottom of the gallowgate about 20 mins in? Seen a few stewards knocking around and everyone looking

21 minutes ago, SteV said:

Got in (Leazes) about 45/50 mins before ko. 

Never in my days have I known the concourse like that so long before ko. Absolutely rammed. People singing.

I knew at that point it was going to be something special. When you get a team that knows how to harness and use that atmosphere, it’s amazing.

A word on the PSG fans - totally agree with what someone said elsewhere about generally not being a fan of the contrived atmosphere that these European clubs create - BUT - fair fucks to them last night as they were pretty relentless, and you can’t say they didn’t add to the occasion, especially leading up to ko, when they were great.

I actually thought that in a way they helped us. Thinking back to the semi final last season when you had that period for a lot of the second half, where you could almost feel a really nervous sense of disquiet sweep across the stadium, it could have been like that after they scored last night. But when you’ve got some mad fucker relentlessly banging a drum that sounds like machine gun fire, you don’t get the same uneasy eeriness.

Also final word on Wor Flags. Had the pleasure of having @Heron and crew not far in front of us doing the ‘We are the Geordie Boys’ sign. Singing non-stop pre-display. A particular highlight being ‘you can shove your Eiffel Tower up your arse’ 😂

Donnarumma is a boomer I heard him belting out

Some bloke

The noise during and after the anthem was spine tingling. Made the hairs on the arm stand up and brought a tear to the eye. That's what it's all about, that's why last season meant so much to reach top 4, for this night.

I know I am biased, but it's really good for football that we are up there competing again. Look at last night and the league cup final last year, you replace us with another team and it's a rather drab mild affair. 

I'm In the Leazes, got to say I agree regards the drum - at first it was sort of getting on my tits a bit - but it definitely helped the atmosphere, as did their fans generally, but we kind of fed off the drum also. Amazing night.

Pity about the arsehole behaviour of some of our fans pre match but allowing that Ultra March to the stadium was always going to see some of that. It nearly properly kicked off on Barrack Rd beside the Tesco Extra. Traffic bollard got chucked which sparked a bit of an exchange.

Just now, Keefaz said:

Thought I've had for a while, might as well ask it here: why's no one done a chant based on Jolene by Dolly Parton where 'Jolene' is replaced by 'Geordies'. Seems obvious.

Didnt we used to sing that or am i imagining it?