Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

9 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

We’ve got attendance via ballot, randomly allocated seats, warning letters to unofficial standing sections, empty seats when tickets are like gold dust and 30 minute queues to enter some sections of the ground. 

No wonder the atmosphere has nosedived this season.

Club are fucking this up so badly.

The atmosphere was class vs Villa.

You know what’s been missing since then… Wor Flags.

39 minutes ago, Greg said:

Yep - we are and will continue to do so. Meeting club next week - is on the agenda. 

Are they aware how unhappy everyone is with all of the new ticketing policies, ie being unable to choose your own seat etc?

47 minutes ago, Greg said:

Yep - we are and will continue to do so. Meeting club next week - is on the agenda. 

I think it should be emphasised what a goldmine they are sitting on atmosphere-wise if they had a second standing section in Leazes Corner L4 and really focused on getting like-minded fans together.

I don’t know anyone who likes the level 7 experience you feel detached and as many have said you may as well just watch it on the box.

Which begs the question why are so many opposed to leaving SJP ? I get the tradition and history, but the reality is the atmosphere and supporter experience is sub-standard, especially for the prices being charged this season.

3 hours ago, jack j said:

It's not just drinking though is it

More people work weekends than ever before. People take their kids various different places on a weekend. People need childcare

Plenty reasons to why people can't get to the ground til a certain time. Not just drinking like...

It wasn't a problem last season was it.

It wasn’t a problem last season because it wasn’t electronic tickets (something I’m massively against) but this year is different and everyone knows it is and everyone has been told to get there sooner yet it still seems people are going to the ground too late. It may not be just those cramming an extra pint in but if they changed their behaviour and had that so needed extra pint in the ground maybe then those who genuinely can’t land until nearer KO ain’t queuing with them and get in quicker thought to be honest even that’s a bit flaky excuse. You just make your childcare arrangements etc 45mins earlier. Live your life as though the KO is 2pm not 3pm and see how that goes. Every game has a different KO time so must be possible.

By the way you never responded to my questions I asked about that coach owner with all the STs (Simon?) 

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

It wasn’t a problem last season because it wasn’t electronic tickets (something I’m massively against) but this year is different and everyone knows it is and everyone has been told to get there sooner yet it still seems people are going to the ground too late. It may not be just those cramming an extra pint in but if they changed their behaviour and had that so needed extra pint in the ground maybe then those who genuinely can’t land until nearer KO ain’t queuing with them and get in quicker thought to be honest even that’s a bit flaky excuse. You just make your childcare arrangements etc 45mins earlier. Live your life as though the KO is 2pm not 3pm and see how that goes. Every game has a different KO time so must be possible.

By the way you never responded to my questions I asked about that coach owner with all the STs (Simon?) 

Didnt really understand what you meant at the time. Just had a scan back through...and still not sure what the question to me is?

I haven't a clue about Simon and all his tickets?

I was on about transferring my pals ticket over to my daughter on a game by game basis.

As for yesterday I was in the ground by 2.15 no bother at all

The Liverpool game I couldnt get away from work til 3.45. Managed to get to the turnstile for 4.15 didn't get in until close to 10 minutes gone

Last year I would have been in the ground 10 mins before kick off

Surely you can see people's frustration and realise not everyone can change their plans for every single game.

44 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

I think it should be emphasised what a goldmine they are sitting on atmosphere-wise if they had a second standing section in Leazes Corner L4 and really focused on getting like-minded fans together.

Agreed on this, worth noting @Greg for future season

20 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I don’t know anyone who likes the level 7 experience you feel detached and as many have said you may as well just watch it on the box.

Which begs the question why are so many opposed to leaving SJP ? I get the tradition and history, but the reality is the atmosphere and supporter experience is sub-standard, especially for the prices being charged this season.

Agreed I think people forget what and how good you can make modern stadiums. 4 level stands at 65k with an end for standing, improved bars and facilities.

The 2 larger stands make a stadium expansion really difficult to work.

14 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Agreed I think people forget what and how good you can make modern stadiums. 4 level stands at 65k with an end for standing, improved bars and facilities.

The 2 larger stands make a stadium expansion really difficult to work.

Precisely we could build something really iconic which would have people soon forgetting about SJP when they see it going up. 

The reason folk are having difficulty getting in the ground on the East Side of the stadium is simply due to access. The East Stand has always had lengthy queue’s that resemble a scrum, throw in digital ticketing and it’s no wonder it’s a shambles. Just another example of the poorly planned introduction of digital ticketing.

SJP has had its day in its current guise much like Manchester United are realising with Old Trafford.

Lets see what this feasibility study brings and I’ve got a feeling all options including a new stadium will be on the table when they announce its findings.

26 minutes ago, jack j said:

Didnt really understand what you meant at the time. Just had a scan back through...and still not sure what the question to me is?

I haven't a clue about Simon and all his tickets?

I was on about transferring my pals ticket over to my daughter on a game by game basis.

As for yesterday I was in the ground by 2.15 no bother at all

The Liverpool game I couldnt get away from work til 3.45. Managed to get to the turnstile for 4.15 didn't get in until close to 10 minutes gone

Last year I would have been in the ground 10 mins before kick off

Surely you can see people's frustration and realise not everyone can change their plans for every single game.

Fair enough maybe it was someone else.

Totally see the frustration. Like I said after Villa I predicted fights at some point this season. The technology seems to work with very varying degrees.

I feel for those who genuinely struggle to make it to ground early whereas others I don’t.

It’s simple maths really… if it’s taking everyone on average 30 seconds longer for argument sake to get into the ground then x that per thousands in each queue for turnstile. The smallest of delays are always going to multiply for events of this size.

Aye I agree regarding a new stadium, it'll break my heart to leave SJP, I've been going since 1984 and stood in the west stand paddock as a kid, saw it transform massively in the 90s.

However going to a new stadium gives us a chance to fix the demand for tickets issue, the atmosphere issue, potentially the access to ground issues, generate bigger revenues, all in one hit if they get it right.

For me it has the be city centre though, or we loose a massive part of the club's identity, and the businesses in the city loose a huge amount of matchday money.

Edited by Bally21

2 minutes ago, Bally21 said:

Aye I agree regarding a new stadium, it'll break my heart to leave SJP, I've been going since 1984 and stood in the west stand paddock as a kid, saw it transform massively in the 90s.

However going to a new stadium gives us a chance to fix the demand for tickets issue, the atmosphere issue, potentially the access to ground issues, generate bigger revenues, all in one hit if they get it right.

For me it has the be city centre though, or we loose a massive part of the club's identity, and the businesses in the city loose a huge amount of matchday money.

Play at the Stadium of Light whilst we totally renovate SJP. 

18 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

I don't go in for all this every new stadium is soulless argument either. Anyone who was at any of the derbies at the SoL in the late 90s will tell you it was anything but soulless. Also been to the likes of Benfica and Sporting and you could never class either of those places as soulless.

SJP is looking increasingly outdated. I was in L7 on Saturday and it's a pretty miserable experience. If anything you could class that as soulless. You feel detached from the rest of the ground, too far away from the action and the atmosphere up there is woeful. I would genuinely rather watch on TV than up there. Sight lines were very poor as well. We were in Row F and had a huge railing blocking our view of the Leazes End goal.

If a site could be secured at the Town Moor/Castle Leazes or down by the Arena it's a no brainer to build a super modern 70k arena.

13 hours ago, Bellis80 said:

Has anyone in England built a new ground and the atmosphere has improved? None that i’m aware of.

I think It's more to do with support in this country nowadays than the ground itself though

16 hours ago, Bellis80 said:

Has anyone in England built a new ground and the atmosphere has improved? None that i’m aware of.

Its more relocation of fans thst benifit. You can actuallu group people together.

Also in regards to new stadiums and atmosphere look no further than Argintina fans in the world cup last winter.

Can they not just make the whole of level 7 a singing section? Surely no one would complain about getting shifted out of there and if singers with better seats want to improve the atmosphere enough I'm sure they would be willing to move from further down and sacrifice their view to be part of the greater good.

Back in 2010/11 the Level 7 “Leazes Corner” was class. 3000 or so stood all game, everyone singing. 

Disbanded because thin skinned Ashley didn’t like nasty songs about him. Recall one banner up there saying “Ashley is a cockney rapist”, tug of war between the stewards and fans holding it. 

6 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Can they not just make the whole of level 7 a singing section? Surely no one would complain about getting shifted out of there and if singers with better seats want to improve the atmosphere enough I'm sure they would be willing to move from further down and sacrifice their view to be part of the greater good.

Some of wor lot would twist on 21, so I wouldn’t be so sure there wouldn’t be much complaining sadly. 

34 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Back in 2010/11 the Level 7 “Leazes Corner” was class. 3000 or so stood all game, everyone singing. 

Disbanded because thin skinned Ashley didn’t like nasty songs about him. Recall one banner up there saying “Ashley is a cockney rapist”, tug of war between the stewards and fans holding it. 

The Cockney rapist banner was fantastic mind :lol: