Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle United

Disco

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:
1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

The whole issue is just totally disarming, it's basically pointless critiquing anything else about the performance because the missing of chances is so influential.

Gordon, Longstaff, Wilson and then Joelinton - each one more gilt-edged than the last. 

Yep, we should really be talking about how the plan worked and we got a good result

Yep, exactly. I don't think our general play has really dropped all that much, just this one critical element. 

For those wanting to press the panic button - we've hit a trough when it comes to form, which was always going to happen. Remember how far we have come in the last year. We might not finish in a CL place, but qualification for the Europa or Conference League would still constitute as success, for me. :thup:

Keep the faith.

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't see how that is responsible for players missing gilt-edged chances several times a game week after week. They're basic, easy opportunities. 

It's incredible atm like. That single issue is threatening to totally derail our season because not only does it mean we don't score, it means the defence are under so much more pressure too.

A positive result next week feels critical now. 

Means you can drop players who are out of form tbf 

4 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Shame that… overall we didn’t perform badly really… it’s the missed chances that are a real worry.

We were looking decent until Trips gave the ball away for the second goal. Fancied us to get back into it before that.

Nevermind…anything here would have been a bonus.

Agree. It’s the type of fixture you’ve got to take whatever chance you get. Think this version of Man City is more suited for us also mind so was expecting a fairly close game. Think we had the best chances overall. That’s the real frustration.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Yep, exactly. I don't think our general play has really dropped all that much, just this one critical element. 

I thought we were better than expected today really, albeit with lots of mistakes. 

I think I’ll only be really comfortable once we have two more CMs and we can actually control possession. 

Games like today are always going to be some degree of painful. 

And I’ve said this before, I get the FFP stuff. But we’ve a CEO and CMO who are meant to be getting deals lined up to grow us commercially. Haven’t heard fuck all about anything new yet and that’s what’s limiting us. Finance is my line of work too, and so I’ll always be critical of that side if it’s limiting our potential. And I’ll keep doing that until it’s sorted. 

4 minutes ago, Kanji said:

We didn’t do any speculation, we have apparent deals ready to be announced. Not every top player needs to be a 50m one and there’s clearly needs we didn’t address. 

That does feel a bit ‘no idea but we definitely would be better if we’d done something better’.  I’m not convinced that there was a lot available for that money who could just drop in and improve the side - and I think some of the issues we’re seeing are the result of the rest of the PL figuring out how to neutralise the way we play a bit.

Really fucking agitated me that like, there was nothing bog standard about it. They were seriously rattled when Trips brain farted it over to them twice in a few seconds and that was it. That Wilson attempt was absolutely fucking abysmal and then you"ve got Joe shut your eyes and hope for the best. Saturday is fucking ruined now

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

FFP meant we had roughly £50m to spend - I’m genuinely curious, who would you have went for / which positions?  Any change would mean Gordon not coming in of course. 

Weren't the club supposedly hoping to loan someone even after we brought Gordon in?

We looked good previously with Burn and Botman in central defense, just need Targett back. Shame about Big Joe, but at least with Maxi back available it softens the blow a bit. Our biggest problem is we don't have a clinical finisher up top and our midfield have lost their scoring ability as well, maybe it's a confidence thing, probably just knackered though.

Conceded from a deflection, were in it for most of the game, and created two or three chances that should have got us a goal. It would have been interesting had we got it back to 1-1, especially the Joelinton one. As it was, we didn't get to see if Man City did have another gear to go up into.

Terrible miss by Wilson, and such a poor effort from him that does suggest something is up. Niggle, illness, mental health or something.

Was a total write off so I'm glad the changes weren't made today. Would have been hanging them out to dry to so and result in the status quo.

Has to happen now though. Burn/Wilson at the very least.

Its a bad run. It happens. Happened in the best seasons - ended with a bang usually. Need to get a goal up somehow and we'll be fine.

Props to Pep for showing Howe respect before and after the game. Some of his less qualified fellow managers could learn something about respect, especially those with huge teeth working on Merseyside.

Just now, Sean said:

Weren't the club supposedly hoping to loan someone even after we brought Gordon in?

According to the papers, but no-one in the top six in the PL is going to loan anyone to us anymore, so it could only be from abroad or with a guarantee to buy clause from what I can see

Guest reefatoon

image.thumb.jpeg.dc18df7cee5031184b591df6df5a292b.jpeg

Aye, good old predictable Newcastle. Only main difference is steady Eddie went for a triple whammy instead of the usual double sub. Honestly though, we need to mix this shit up a bit as we are far too fucking predictable.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Just now, Jonas said:

Was a total write off so I'm glad the changes weren't made today. Would have been hanging them out to dry to so and result in the status quo.

Has to happen now though. Burn/Wilson at the very least.

Its a bad run. It happens. Happened in the best seasons - ended with a bang usually. Need to get a goal up somehow and we'll be fine.

This is an interesting take to be fair, hadn't considered this.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If we'd played this same game before Christmas we'd have scored at least 2, no doubt in my mind. Something has broken with our finishing but the idea that we've suddenly become terrible all over the pitch just doesn't match up with what I see watching the games. 

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

And I’ve said this before, I get the FFP stuff. But we’ve a CEO and CMO who are meant to be getting deals lined up to grow us commercially. Haven’t heard fuck all about anything new yet and that’s what’s limiting us. Finance is my line of work too, and so I’ll always be critical of that side if it’s limiting our potential. And I’ll keep doing that until it’s sorted. 

Ashley signed us up to long-term deals on bad terms

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

Uhhhh….might be tricky given the economic climate we’re currently in, @Kanji.  The league will also be up our arse for any capital we generate from partners in the Kingdom.