Scott McTominay

Jack27

17 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

He’s in the perfect team under Conte. Won’t be asked to do stuff he’s not capable of, and can do more of the box crashing.

Fair point. He has some qualities that works really well in the right system. Another reason as to why we shouldn't just look at players getting shipped from certain clubs as rejects and dismiss any context.

Edited by Erikse

4 hours ago, Erikse said:

Mr. "not elite enough", "Man Utd reject" and "crap player" doing well in Italy so far.

Always rated Mctominay since his performance against Villarreal in the Europa league final - an absolute driving force that day and decent technique too.

Somehow labelled a clogger on here

11 minutes ago, Menace said:

So is Lukaku tbf and I wouldn't want him here.

I think McTominay looks better for Scotland than what Lukaku does for Belgium. And to my understanding his spell at Roma wasn't terrible, but it wasn't exactly superb either. His best spell in Italy was years ago, and at that time he could have strengthened most top teams.

Not trying to throw more jabs at Longstaff, but people here were saying that McTominay was equal to him. I suppose that this is what Man Utd does to your reputation..

Edited by Erikse

15 hours ago, Erikse said:

I think McTominay looks better for Scotland than what Lukaku does for Belgium. And to my understanding his spell at Roma wasn't terrible, but it wasn't exactly superb either. His best spell in Italy was years ago, and at that time he could have strengthened most top teams.

Not trying to throw more jabs at Longstaff, but people here were saying that McTominay was equal to him. I suppose that this is what Man Utd does to your reputation..

McTominay or (preferably) Gallagher would have improved us significantly. Almost as if Eddie and crew can spot a player better than we can. 

It's crazy what a good game or two can do for your reputation. As if people learned nothing from Lingard's purple patch at West Ham.

Worth noting there's players excelling or have excelled in Serie A despite being surplus to requirements in the Premier League years prior. Darmian, Young, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez etc.

McTominay is a decent player, but extremely limited, and simply not good enough for teams like Newcastle aspiring to be at the top of the Premier League.

He's only played a handful of games for Napoli so far, most of which off the bench :lol:

I still think he'd have been a solid enough signing for us though - if a bit uninspiring. Gallagher on the other hand would have been an excellent signing.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

It's crazy what a good game or two can do for your reputation. As if people learned nothing from Lingard's purple patch at West Ham.

Worth noting there's players excelling or have excelled in Serie A despite being surplus to requirements in the Premier League years prior. Darmian, Young, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez etc.

McTominay is a decent player, but extremely limited, and simply not good enough for teams like Newcastle aspiring to be at the top of the Premier League.

You reckon Sancho isn't good enough for a club that wants to compete at the top in the Premier League either? Just curious. I see what you're doing though, basically saying that nomatter how well he does in Napoli, it doesn't matter for anything because it's not the Prem. You say that because you know very well that the performances might (and probably will) continue.

Edited by Erikse

4 minutes ago, Erikse said:

You reckon Sancho isn't good enough for a club that wants to compete at the top in the Premier League either? Just curious. I see what you're doing though, basically saying that nomatter how well he does in Napoli, it doesn't matter for anything because it's not the Prem. You say that because you know very well that the performances might (and probably will) continue.

Sancho's issues aren't ability. He's more than good enough for any side. If you gave Sancho a lend of McTominay's mindset, you'd have an elite player.

It was a good move for McTominay and I think he'll do well. He's just a decent player in an effective system though. The same way Victor Moses was.

If he signed for Newcastle he'd be a slight upgrade on Longstaff but would be a prime candidate to be replaced within 12-18 months. A pointless signing for the likes of Newcastle.

8 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Sancho's issues aren't ability. He's more than good enough for any side. If you gave Sancho a lend of McTominay's mindset, you'd have an elite player.

It was a good move for McTominay and I think he'll do well. He's just a decent player in an effective system though. The same way Victor Moses was.

If he signed for Newcastle he'd be a slight upgrade on Longstaff but would be a prime candidate to be replaced within 12-18 months. A pointless signing for the likes of Newcastle.

You might be right. But I will say me (and seemingly others) who rates him now also rated him enough to not be against the signing back in 2023. So saying "crazy what a couple of games does to your reputation" makes no sense in this case. If you go back some pages you will find that not everyone thought he was bad, even at your club. So it's not based on a couple of games.

Edited by Erikse

I say this even as someone who is Scottish, McTominay is for the most part quite lazy during a game, the thought of wasting genuinely good football players like Bruno and Tonali grafting to get him the odd goal doesn't do much for me. 

12 minutes ago, TRon said:

If you took away McTominay's goals, how good a player is he? Is his technique good enough to control a midfield area where presumably he plays?

You could say the same for Barnes (though I know his role is different).

23 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

You could say the same for Barnes (though I know his role is different).

Well that's the point, his role is different. A wide man is not going to be as influential as a CM. I think Barnes has a bit more to his game anyway, but I'm prepared to hear arguments for McTominay.

On 09/10/2024 at 11:27, Erikse said:

Mr. "not elite enough", "Man Utd reject" and "crap player" doing well in Italy so far.

Italian league isn't quite on par with the Premier league 

16 minutes ago, duo said:

Italian league isn't quite on par with the Premier league 

I still think just the fact that Napoli and Conte wanted to buy him for that price tells me something though. Not that he is a world beater, but probably better than quite a few players in our startin 11. Obviously we have a few players that are some levels above, but not that many imo.

Not that any of this matters, we got Tonali (probably due to the situation he was in), and that seems to turn out well in the end.

Edited by Erikse