West Ham United 1-5 Newcastle United (05/04/2023)

BlueStar

1 hour ago, Paullow said:

Right, that'll me other club foruming for at least 3 hours now :lol:

Glad I’m not the only one that does this. Other clubs podcasts after be best them is a joy too

Gabby's just referenced the Coventry away game in 98, also 1-5.

iirc much like this it wasn't as sublime as it lookied, though we thought it was the start of 'sexy football' under Gullit.

also iirc we played better the following season and lost 4-1

54 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If VAR doesn't exist then I celebrate the goal; here I'm just waiting for the flag to go up.

Spose he might've flagged straight away if it didn't exist. 

Still. Fuck VAR.

Sorry Yorkie but this is a fucking weird take. :lol: 

Linesman made a mistake that VAR corrected but 'fuck VAR' because you couldn't celebrate right away?

Just now, Pata said:

Linesman made a mistake that VAR corrected but 'fuck VAR' because you couldn't celebrate right away?

Exactly that. :thup:

1 minute ago, ScottishMagpie said:

Just watched the highlights on match of the day.  Wow!!  If Murphy had put that chance away it would have been one of the most beautiful goals I think I'd have seen.

Murphy puts a chance away, howay man behave.

3 minutes ago, ScottishMagpie said:

Just watched the highlights on match of the day.  Wow!!  If Murphy had put that chance away it would have been one of the most beautiful goals I think I'd have seen.

I agree but sadly I think it would possibly have been chalked off for offside in the build up. Centimetres off I think.

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

I think without VAR that goal wouldn't have ever happened because he would have stuck the flag up straight away

I get the point that VAR can kill the instant emotion of a goal but it brings out different emotions such as that tonight

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Exactly that. :thup:

Can't win with that attitude if you would rather have a perfectly good goal chalked off than give any credit to VAR.

44 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Sorry, edited since then cos of a crucial typo. :bluestar:

It might've been a goal *without VAR, is what I meant to say. 

I don't think we necessarily got the goal because of VAR. I think if VAR doesn't exist, the linesman maybe keeps his flag down and that's that. 

My initial point was that I didn't celebrate because I could sense the intervention coming one way or the other. That being one of the cornerstones of my hatred of it. 

That makes no sense. The goal would have got checked wether the linesman flagged or not. The linesman thought it was offside so flagged. I hate var but if it doesn’t exist the linesman flags before Joelinton puts the ball in the net and it’s ruled out

Edited by gdm

4 minutes ago, jack j said:

I think without VAR that goal wouldn't have ever happened because he would have stuck the flag up straight away

I get the point that VAR can kill the instant emotion of a goal but it brings out different emotions such as that tonight

:thup: 

nobody in that stadium thought he was onside in real time :lol:

Edited by Klaus

53 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It might've been a goal without VAR, like; that's impossible to know. He might've just kept his flag down and it's correctly adjudged to be a goal without the assistance of TV refs.

I don't think it came to our rescue, necessarily. My assumption is that the lino's unsure and so the raising of the flag is basically "can you double check this please, lads?"

Anyway, sorry, I shouldn't be sparking a VAR debate on a night like this. 

Last post on this subject but VAR 100% rescued us and your logic doesn't make much sense. Lino raised his flag because he thought it was offside, he keeps it down if he thinks Joelinton is onside. It gets checked in any case so the 'please check this' doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, Klaus said:

:thup: 

nobody in that stadium thought he was onside in real time :lol:

Not even the linesman which is worrying really.