Newcastle United 0-2 Arsenal (07/05/2023)

Disco

Just been looking at the stats there and our xG was accumilated through quantity rather than quality. Isak's header is our highest at 0.20, Arsenal's is Odegaard's one on one 0.43, but Saka's was also 0.25. 

Thinking about the match now that I'm not up a height, I still thought we were pretty shoddy, especially in midfield, but with that in mind it's a good sign that we can play that poorly and hit the post twice, had a couple of one on one situations, a header from a set piece, and almost a pen.

A bit of a coulda, woulda, shoulda match if that makes sense. It could have easily been any variation of scoreline between 4-0 to us and about 6-0 to them. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

21 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Just been looking at the stats there and our xG was accumilated through quantity rather than quality. Isak's header is our highest at 0.20, Arsenal's is Odegaard's one on one 0.43, but Saka's was also 0.25. 

Thinking about the match now that I'm not up a height, I still thought we were pretty shoddy, especially in midfield, but with that in mind it's a good sign that we can play that poorly and hit the post twice, had a couple of one on one situations, a header from a set piece, and almost a pen.

A bit of a coulda, woulda, shoulda match if that makes sense. It could have easily been any variation of scoreline between 4-0 to us and about 6-0 to them. 

What was Schar's header xg because that was the easiest chance by a mile? 

Went back on my initial instincts and watch motd on I player.... wish I didn't :lol:

Changed my mind and think the pel should have stood, the ref didn't make a clear error and after watching var there's nowt in there that's concrete enough to change his mind, in my (probably) bias opinion obviously. 

The schar header, Isak off the post etc... fucks sake wish I'd stuck to my guns and not watched it.  Could have been so different but just wasn't our day. 

Edited by Wilson

It’s all fine margins, before the first goal we were all over them and they were rocking but we didn’t get that first goal (Willock should do better, Murphy a bit unlucky, close call for penalty). 

They ultimately took their chances and ironically did to us what we did to them at the Emirates in terms of time wasting, winding our players up etc and I think we lost a bit of focus. It’s funny that they did that given how much they complained about what we did back in Jan. I’m not bothered they did what they did but you can’t have it both ways ffs given the song and dance they made about things back in Jan.

We’ve come a long way and the team and squad still has miles to go. Yesterday probably shows up where we need to improve in the team too if we are going to win games like these and beat the likes of Liverpool or Arsenal at home and away (LB, number 6 type player, new winger et al). I think the team will learn a lot from today. Just look at how Arsenal have developed since last season.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

8 hours ago, Wilson said:

Aye it wasn't great to concede that, it wasn't anything spectacular and at the time I felt Pope had plenty of time to get across, but it shouldn't have even got that far. 

About the pen, kid next to me had a message off his mate saying 'it's came off his leg'.  fuck knows how he gets a signal in there btw. 

I don't think I'll even watch any highlights back to check what happened, just want to move on to the next. 

Anyone know what the deal is with getting a signal in the ground, tried all match to get online & nowt ? 

23 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Anyone know what the deal is with getting a signal in the ground, tried all match to get online & nowt ? 

The data in the ground has always been shit, probably for the best, otherwise plenty of folks would just sit on their phones with less singing.

16 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

The data in the ground has always been shit, probably for the best, otherwise plenty of folks would just sit on their phones with less singing.

Downgrade to 3g on android and it's 100x better.

For all our shit housing this season, Arsenal took it to a new level and the referee was complicit. 

He took his time blowing his whistle for restarts and allowed players to roll around like pigs in shit. Odegaard (? think it was him) took an extended tour to shake the hand of anyone in his general vicinity as he went off. At HT there was supposed to be 5 mins added time, I think we played 3, due to a player going down.

There wasn’t a single booking for time wasting, carry on. Green light for us to do it more, I’m not a fan but, it works.

Leeds also did a fine job up here, expect more if we start well against them.

Wasn't a pen. Wasn't our day.

They came here to cheat and frustrate and did so to good effect. The referee allowed them to do it too. Overall though - they showed why they're 2nd and we're 3rd. Only them and City have came here and been able to play it out from the back under pressure and as a result were able to open us up. Our high intensity press prevents lesser sides from doing that. Have to say hats off, move on, and put it right in the next game.

Thought our fans were excellent though :thup:

4 minutes ago, Heron said:

Wasn't a pen. Wasn't our day.

They came here to cheat and frustrate and did so to good effect. The referee allowed them to do it too. Overall though - they showed why they're 2nd and we're 3rd. Only them and City have came here and been able to play it out from the back under pressure and as a result were able to open us up. Our high intensity press prevents lesser sides from doing that. Have to say hats off, move on, and put it right in the next game.

Thought our fans were excellent though :thup:

I thought Palace beat our press a few times playing out from the back but I get your point.

Well wish I hadn’t read through some of the post-match rantings. It was always going to be the toughest match remaining and doesn’t really make any difference that we lost (particularly thanks to West Ham!). Think we also might struggle against Brighton (based on reverse fixture). 

It was a great game and wonderful advert for the Premier League. Let’s crack on—another 7-9 points for us to cap a fabulous season. 

3 minutes ago, madras said:

Did yesterday show that we miss Longstaff ? And I was a bit surprised it was Joelinton to the right and Willock left, and it didn't switch.

Concern over Zinchenko and Willock not being the most diligent defensively at times?

Don't think the answer is necessarily in midfield because our system is designed for all of the 3 to press up on their men as high as possible and we then push the defensive line up. Even a really effective press will be beaten at times and defenders will be left to deal with it.

We either adapt the press to try and enable better coverage or need a CB/defenders with recovery pace.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Concern over Zinchenko and Willock not being the most diligent defensively at times?

I'm not sure, I'm trying to remember back but I think we did the same V Southampton.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Did yesterday show that we miss Longstaff ? And I was a bit surprised it was Joelinton to the right and Willock left, and it didn't switch.

I think we've missed Longstaff a few times. People don't consider the 'off the ball' things he does and the space he closes down/opens up. It frees up the likes of Bruno to play his game in that little bit more peace. Bruno is playing injured too.

9 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm not sure, I'm trying to remember back but I think we did the same V Southampton.

They swapped quite a bit against Southampton, and Joelinton started on the left.