Leeds United vs. Newcastle United: 13/05/23 @ 12:30 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

Hard to call. I think they need a win rather than a draw. We can't keep a clean sheet atm so they could fancy themselves to get something from this.

You'd think their best bet would be on the counter. We over commit to the press in midfield, they go direct, we've no real pace at the back, try to put is in trouble. 

From our perspective, I reckon we'll have plenty of the ball. 

Will need patience and guile unless they completely fuck up.

Lots of one twos around the box and some clever movement. 

Can see an argument for either Isak or Wilson. Not sure about ASM though (if fit). If he was to move the ball quickly and make some darting runs behind the FB it would be perfect (like Miggy earlier in the season). 

13 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Bring Manquillo in and play Trips as a defensive midfielder :coloccini:

Surely it would make more sense to bring in Targett/Dummett at left back, move Burn along side Botman, and have Schar play in midfield? 

I am confident on this one. Only way Leeds get any kind of result is on the counter. 

Sam will have them setup defensive. He will be playing for a 0-0.

Just need to watch for sucker punch

21 hours ago, The Prophet said:

It has been interesting listening to the post-match commentary following the Arsenal defeat. There seems to be an acceptance of sorts that we did lose our heads in the second half, in the face of Arsenal deploying the dark arts playbook. I wonder if Allardyce will incorporate this into his game plan.

In his podcast, Wilson says that we need to win three of our remaining four games and you can guarantee we will be targeting this. Similarly, results on Monday mean that draws aren't really good enough for Leeds anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if Leeds look to slow things down, keep it tight and if they don't nudge ahead, they'll take the shackless off later in the game. This was more or less their approach at City. 

I know we have started our most recent away games relatively slowly, but we should be out of the traps quickly here. Get an early goal or two and the Big Sam game plan and the home atmosphere will wilt.

I'm of the opposite thinking you know.

Don't give Leeds anything early doors. We are far more likely to score with measured attacks. If it is 0-0 with 30 minutes to go, they will press and leave opportunities to pick them off.

39 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Don't give Leeds anything early doors. We are far more likely to score with measured attacks. If it is 0-0 with 30 minutes to go, they will press and leave opportunities to pick them off.

Yep. They're past the point of being able to take a draw. If we remain patient they will leave openings the longer the game goes on. 

I have an absolutely gut wrenching feeling about this one. 

Big Sam, new manager bounce, No Longstaff - I just think all the elements of a frustrating day at the races are there. 

Ya know what lads, ignore me I’m just on a come down from the class A’s last night😂

22 hours ago, TRC said:

The whole analysis of football is stupid at times, I've heard loads say this was Arsenals best performance this season a team who lead the league, but also say this is a dip in form for us.

We hit the post twice and battered them until the goal went in, which was a low XG chance. 1 inch either side Murphy scores, Odegards shot it blocked and the narrative is Arsenal can't handle the crowd at SJP. 

Its daft.

Spot on. Everyone is way too focused on the result and fail to acknowledge how big a role luck and variance has on results. Arsenal match is the perfect example, could've been 2-0 to us on another day and the narrative would flip completely. Arsenal did manage the game alright after taking the lead but it's not like we didn't have chances to make it 1-1 before their second goal that clinched it.

Edited by Pata

I was worried about Everton away but quality mainly shines through in the end.

No reason we shouldn't be beating these by 2 or 3. They're shite. They'll be more organised but don't be fooled by their result at City last week. Could/should have been 5-1 easily.

Get the first goal, just like at Goodison, and we could have a field day. When we've went away to sides really struggling this season;

- Southampton 1-4

- Leicester 0-3

- Forest 1-2 (flattered them 100%)

- West Ham 1-5

- Everton 1-4

No reason it shouldn't be like that tomorrow. A lot will have to go wrong for us not to win. I'm a huge worrier and can't pretend I'm not nervous, but logically we should be beating these. They're crap.

The main source of confidence for me is that despite the fact they may be better organised under Sam, they don’t have good defenders. They arguably have the 2 worst full backs in the league.