Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

All 3 of our available CMs are out of form imo. Willock is not suited to playing deep. JL inexperienced at it and Bruno is either broken and/or exhausted.

Isak and Wilson are our most effective players atm. Don’t think we look at all balanced with them both on the pitch though.

We can’t outrun the opposition anymore, legs seem to have gone. Need something tactically. Obvs I don’t know what. But carrying doing what we’ve been doing all season but doing it badly just because it’s ‘our identity’ is folly imo.

That Forest loss for them was a few days after playing 120 minutes and losiing a penalty shootout against Man Utd at Wembley in a FA Cup semi. So for me, their only freak loss was against Everton.

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We're 10/11 to win here, would have us longer than that.

The problem is Brighton want to be pressed, as we know pressing is the substance to our style. Everton beat these by stepping off and sitting deep and narrow, our management will know this buts it’s the opposite of what this team has been doing all season so what’s the call here? I’m interested to see how we set up, if we set up as usual and try to press them to death we likely lose just like Arsenal today. And that’s without taking into account the fact we have slowed down over recent weeks, 10/11 seems very short to me.

Edited by Nine

I know that they might want us to press but at the same time I don’t want to invite pressure from them and having Mitoma amongst others getting chance after chance to go 1v1. Difficult balance this to get the tactics right. 

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You would think Brighton were in Man City's position the way some are going on today. They're not and there is a reason for that. 

Yes yes. The issue in this particular fixture is that Brightons set up is the kryptonite to ours if you like. 

We can make wide observations over league position or we can look at each fixture objectively. 

Brighton often play good. They sometimes play bad.

We often play good. We sometimes play bad.

Anything can happen. Have a few beers, sing your heart out if you’re at SJP and let’s see what happens. Nee need to fret.

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Yes yes. The issue in this particular fixture is that Brightons set up is the kryptonite to ours if you like. 

We can make wide observations over league position or we can look at each fixture objectively. 

We handled a far better team at that system in Man City earlier this season. Against Arsenal we had numerous chances and it was one way traffic until they scored. If we play like we did against Arsenal last year, Man Utd, Spurs or City (for 60 minutes), we will win. 

This is one game that's got me shitting myself, they're fearless, Enciso is some player. 

I think to give them something to think about, you'd need to start Saint-Maximin, we need them under enough pressure to take some of the pressure of ourselves, not sure what Eddie will do though, he now has created the new dilemma of trying to please Wilson by playing Isak on the left, unless ASM went on the right? I mean Miggy has hardly come back and hit his old form.

Edited by mighty__mag

34 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You would think Brighton were in Man City's position the way some are going on today. They're not and there is a reason for that. 

I think it's more of a case that it's a really bad matchup for us. Night time game, crowd will be well up for it which would usually help but could actually play into their hands if we come out too aggressive. 

Games like the Spurs one or Man U where we came out flying and suffocated them and exposed their weaknesses is a lot different. 

Pep changed his approach against Arsenal to pretty much play like Brighton against them and both teams comfortably beat them. 

Our biggest strength in terms of being physical, aggressive looking to press and win the ball high up the pitch is exactly what they want. 

Villa was another bad matchup for us. They aren't better than us either but we got destroyed that game. Not saying the same thing will happen here but it is a tough fixture for us. 

15 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I think it's more of a case that it's a really bad matchup for us. Night time game, crowd will be well up for it which would usually help but could actually play into their hands if we come out too aggressive. 

Games like the Spurs one or Man U where we came out flying and suffocated them and exposed their weaknesses is a lot different. 

Pep changed his approach against Arsenal to pretty much play like Brighton against them and both teams comfortably beat them. 

Our biggest strength in terms of being physical, aggressive looking to press and win the ball high up the pitch is exactly what they want. 

Villa was another bad matchup for us. They aren't better than us either but we got destroyed that game. Not saying the same thing will happen here but it is a tough fixture for us. 

Disagree totally, but we will see on Thursday

Keep compact and disciplined we’ll win this, we have more firepower in my opinion.

A lot depends on Bruno/Joelinton showing they have it in a big game that really matters. Bruno needs to keep it simple and not try to force things like he did in cup final/Arsenal games. 

Keep it tight and we’ll get the chances to win it, Isak and St Max are match winners and need to both start.