Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Rare bit of genuine ITK here, but had it confirmed to me that this ref categorically is a Liverpool fan. 

How does that work? I thought refs aren't allowed to ref in games that could affect their team's outcome/position?

Edited by mikejaxer

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Rare bit of genuine ITK here, but had it confirmed to me that this ref categorically is a Liverpool fan. 

It shouldn't be allowed - unconscious bias if nothing else.

I quite liked the Bruno/Big Joe double pivot after we switched from the horrible idea of Joelinton in the 6 alone. That again, willock left, Miggy right and Isak just off Wilson 

10 minutes ago, duo said:

It shouldn't be allowed - unconscious bias if nothing else.

Its not.

refs declare who they support and they are prohibited from reffing their games. Where they are based has no impact.

In theory you could have a Leeds fan living in Leazes terrace who is allowed to ref us and a Newcastle fan living in Devon who can’t.

logically you would expect a high % of refs to live in the North West due to the number of teams there and in the midlands and refs wanting to limit their travel

3 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Robert Jones has reffed us twice this season. We’ve won both. 

Storm in a teacup. 

We'll see tomorrow I suppose. Still don't know why they would put a Liverpool supporting referee in this position. He's clearly going to be wanting Brighton to win which could clearly affect his judgement.

There's a big pool of PL referees and only 1 game scheduled for tomorrow. It just feels so unnecessary.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve no time at all for conspiracy shite, but the FA are thick as clarts for opening up conflict of interest stuff like this.  There’s enough qualified referees knocking about.  

Going to be difficult not having some sort of thought to this if major calls go against us every time.

27 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Robert Jones has reffed us twice this season. We’ve won both. 

Storm in a teacup. 

Liverpool weren't in the running then though - and are only in the running thanks to some dubious referring decisions. PL would love Liverpool/Man U to make CL ahead of us.

Edited by duo

The PL, UEFA, the media and commercial entities will always want ManU, Arsenal and Liverpool to qualify for the CL and compete for the biggest trophies. The odds are stacked in their favour. 

I don't believe there's an agenda against other clubs. In fact I suspect the majority of the aforementioned groups would rather we competed at the top than Brighton because our club garners more interest and is more newsworthy.