Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

4 minutes ago, 54 said:

I'm normally uber positive too, Brighton just seem the team that is best suited to our style of play :lol: 

This does worry me. Our 'plan A' for playing at home does seem to be exactly the way Brighton would want us to play. Makes me wonder if we start a little more slower/deliberate, try and make them come out and attack us, then try and out 'Brighton'  Brighton. 

I'm sorry like... we need to be confident and let Brighton worry about us. We are 3rd for a reason... we don't just drastically alter our go-to game because of a fear for the opposition.

We are at home, under the lights, with an incredible atmosphere and a very good togetherness... Brighton should be worrying about us.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I'm sorry like... we need to be confident and let Brighton worry about us. We are 3rd for a reason... we don't just drastically alter our go-to game because of a fear for the opposition.

We are at home, under the lights, with an incredible atmosphere and a very good togetherness... Brighton should be worrying about us.

I don't think the players will be that nervous. The fans are a different story. 

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

Exactly! Let's be honest, Arsenal beat us because they were defending a lead from a 25 yard shot that went through Schar's legs. We hit the post within 2 minutes and if that goes in, it's completely different and we're probably talking about tonight as win and we're in.

People are more nervous about Brighton because of their result at Arsenal, quickly forgetting they've recently lost to Forest and were smashed by an Everton team we've recently smashed ourselves. We're 3rd top after 35 games - that isn't by accident.

They'll be full of confidence after Sunday but they're also quite thin in terms of injuries and inexperienced in this sort of situation (as are we). The Emirates was flat due to Man City beating Everton just prior - St James' will be absolutely bouncing tonight.

We score within the first 20 we will win comfortably imo. The longer it goes scoreless it does suit them, for sure.

My overriding worry for this game is how we react to the pressure. 12 points has quickly became 1 point - but as Trippier often says - 'pressure is a privilege'. My overriding confidence is that when we've had big home games this season in the league or cup, we show up and generally win; Man Utd, Spurs & Southampton/Leicester in the cup. Liverpool I'm discounting because a) it didn't really have much riding on it at the time b) it was a week before our first cup final in fucking years c) we were down to 10 after about 25 minutes.

Howay the fucking Lads!

11 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

This does worry me. Our 'plan A' for playing at home does seem to be exactly the way Brighton would want us to play. Makes me wonder if we start a little more slower/deliberate, try and make them come out and attack us, then try and out 'Brighton'  Brighton. 

I would do this. Howe? He's going super Newcastle I'm certain. It scares me but it is what it is.

20 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Started well against Arsenal. That Murphy effort goes in at 2mins and we win that imo.

Do that tonight and I think we win it 

Yeah sorry, less slow, more disruptive starts that have thrown our gameplan a bit.

When we are on top we need to make it count. None of these defensive blunders which seemingly end up in a goal nearly everytime. (Some have been freakishly unfair, but still a lapse by us)

We need to be switched on from minute one.

5 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

An early goal and a steam rollering start should help! 

Wouldn't be too sure. A couple of my mates got nervous when Spurs pulled one back.:uglystupid2:

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I can see us coming out of the traps with intensity, but if we can't force an early goal we'll into more of a mid-block 

At our best we've started off very high then its became a bit more mixed and the co-ordination of it being so well drilled and lead, when to fully press when to drop a bit as a team has been one of the reasons why we've been so strong.

13 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

That's just suicidal. It doesn't have to be drastic, we've altered how we played against Man City, Brighton, Arsenal to try and get results. We're playing a team who've beaten Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal handedly when they weren't smart about it.

Thankfully Howe's said it's likely to be a tactical battle, which to me indicates he's not going to have us pressing hard.

26 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Not been able to sleep for thinking about this game. I'm nearly 80 years old and thought I might have grown out of it but no, it's as bad as ever.

check if the paramedics are still on strike.

i dont think you should watch or listen to this game.

unless you have one of them portable defib machines in the cupboard.

dont want to be having a minutes silence for you before the leicester game.

This week is probably Howe's biggest test since "get them into some form so we don't get relegated." Not just in terms of the approach and management of the Brighton game itself, but at the moment the hype is similar to the cup final, and that needs managing. By all accounts, the players were distracted by the furore around that so hopefully any lessons learned from that time are being applied now.

Of course it doesn't help having Geordie Paul Chuckle sitting down with the likes of Joelinton repeating the same "WON'T IT BE GOOD IF WE [LOL] GET CHAMPIONS LEAGUE [LOL]¿" question four times an interview. 

The pressure is really high atm and the squad and staff need to block out the noise to the extent it's not becoming a problem, a la February. 

Got ticket and looking forward to it. Nothing like as nervous as the cup final day. That was actually potentially winning something. 

We can still get top 4 even with a defeat so it's a come on let's do this rather than all or nothing.

5 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Had on, never clocked that's him from the Netflix series ffs. :lol: Fair play to him.

Done well to reinvent himself as a bit of a pound shop Ederson for these.

Feel he’s got a rick in him tonight though. He got away with it a couple of times against Arsenal when playing out. Hopefully we get to him like we got to Raya when Brentford came here.

Imperative we take our chances when presented. They allow you to have chances due to their style.

We could also do with them reverting to the Potter years and having chances and seemingly never scoring!

Really confident that if we score first we will win by at least a couple. They would gladly settle for a point but they'd never set up like that, I don't think.