Newcastle United vs. Leicester City: 22/05/23 @ 20:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, STM said:

Sheffield Wednesday?

Murphy was also shite, Isak even struggled. It was ages ago.

Although, I'm interested in exploring other options.

It was, but still, he was so off it, it still sends shivers down me as I'm desperate for the lad to do well. I'd hate to see us starting him in one of the biggest PL games in his short life to only mess up and never recover. 

Anderson played the role just fine for half hour yesterday, against much better opposition then Leicester like. Would much rather him start then fitting square pegs in round holes like starting Gordon in CM.

Not a Newcastle fan. I'm a football fan who watches a lot of teams in general. 

Howe has far exceeded my expectations from when he got the job last year. He's built something special very quickly. I think the togetherness of the squad is the biggest strength that you guys have. That might be difficult to keep when you start to bring in more established players or "big name" signings. But it's what needs to be done if you want to become the next City.

Isak/Wilson

ASM/Gordon______________________Almirón/Murphy

Willock/Joelinton________Longstaff/CM

B.Guimarães/DM

LB/Burn Botman/Burn CB/Schär Trippier/RB

Pope/GK

The positions in bold are probably the areas that you need to address.

20 minutes ago, Shayve79 said:

Not a Newcastle fan. I'm a football fan who watches a lot of teams in general. 

Howe has far exceeded my expectations from when he got the job last year. He's built something special very quickly. I think the togetherness of the squad is the biggest strength that you guys have. That might be difficult to keep when you start to bring in more established players or "big name" signings. But it's what needs to be done if you want to become the next City.

Isak/Wilson

ASM/Gordon______________________Almirón/Murphy

Willock/Joelinton________Longstaff/CM

B.Guimarães/DM

LB/Burn Botman/Burn CB/Schär Trippier/RB

Pope/GK

The positions in bold are probably the areas that you need to address.

Honestly it doesn't seem like ASM is in Howes long term plans. He's usually on the bench and injuries are holding him back. Joelinton is going to be a key player, not a backup. Many would say that he's our player of the season. He's been class at the left wing before the Longstaff injury, and I think that's where he will play. Almiron is great, but a bit inconsistent. Wouldn't mind a new starter on the right wing, but we probably can't have it all in the summer, so we will see about that. Schär has been absolutely brilliant, but we do lack a bit of pace at the back, so another CB could actually be okay.

Edited by Erikse

9 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Honestly it doesn't seem like ASM is in Howes long term plans. He's usually on the bench and injuries are holding him back. Joelinton is going to be a key player, not a backup. Many would say that he's our player of the season. He's been class at the left wing before the Longstaff injury, and I think that's where he will play. Almiron is great, but a bit inconsistent. Wouldn't mind a new starter on the right wing, but we probably can't have it all in the summer, so we will see about that. Schär has been absolutely brilliant, but we do lack a bit of pace at the back, so another CB could actually be okay.

Joelinton is a good player now. Willock has a much higher ceiling overall.

Willock is still a bit inconsistent, but has qualities that Joelinton doesn't possess. His performance vs United and his pass for the Isak goal (Spurs) showcased his elite potential.

Howe and his coaches need to do everything that they can to make him more consistent. He has the perfect mix of technical ability and athleticism that's required of a modern midfielder. Klopp would have loved him at Liverpool during their prime 4-3-3 days with Wijnaldum, Henderson and Fabinho in midfield. 

We know he has more goals in his locker. He showed that during his initial loan spell. Willock should be scoring 10+ goals a season.

Schär is fine for a top 4 push, but will need to be upgraded eventually. A more athletic CB with recovery pace will only benefit Botman.

Pope, Burn, Schär, Longstaff and Almirón will all need to be upgraded as the team evolves. Good players. But you need even better to win trophies consistently. It's harsh to say, but that's the level of ruthlessness that's required. Some of them will still be good squad players and play their part.

15 minutes ago, Shayve79 said:

Joelinton is a good player now. Willock has a much higher ceiling overall.

Willock is still a bit inconsistent, but has qualities that Joelinton doesn't possess. His performance vs United and his pass for the Isak goal (Spurs) showcased his elite potential.

Howe and his coaches need to do everything that they can to make him more consistent. He has the perfect mix of technical ability and athleticism that's required of a modern midfielder. Klopp would have loved him at Liverpool during their prime 4-3-3 days with Wijnaldum, Henderson and Fabinho in midfield. 

We know he has more goals in his locker. He showed that during his initial loan spell. Willock should be scoring 10+ goals a season.

Schär is fine for a top 4 push, but will need to be upgraded eventually. A more athletic CB with recovery pace will only benefit Botman.

Pope, Burn, Schär, Longstaff and Almirón will all need to be upgraded as the team evolves. Good players. But you need even better to win trophies consistently. It's harsh to say, but that's the level of ruthlessness that's required. Some of them will still be good squad players and play their part.

I agree that Willock has some mad potensial! His finishing has been pretty poor this season, but I'm sure he will improve on that. I think Joelinton will be an important player on the left in the next season aswell, definetly not the most urgent position to make a change. His work rate is enourmous, and he has improved a lot offensively and technically aswell. Liverpool has been linked him, but I don't think that he will leave. He's only 26, so he could also improve even more. We might see him feature for Brazil in the future, who knows. I do agree on the names that you mentioned in the last sentence, although Longstaff has been offering very good work rate too which has helped us a lot this season. Not the most technical of midfielders however.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-told-newcastle-hero-joelinton-26826670

https://www.sambafoot.com/news/former-liverpool-striker-sees-joelinton-as-a-key-player-for-newcastle-in-the-next-champions-league

Edited by Erikse

31 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

If Everton beat Wolves at the weekend we would relegate Leicester with a win. Two extremes for both clubs.  

Needs must sadly.

That title season gave the league the boost it needed. And gave every fan a dream they could achieve it too.

Edited by Gaztoon

3 hours ago, Dokko said:

Hmmm. Not confident of him in the middle. He's fine on the wing, but was horrific in the fa cup tie, watching the ball be passed around him and over him. Really felt for him, but not sure he has that positional awareness for a game like this. 

Will be interesting to see who plays in the middle if Joelinton is deemed unfit. We only have him or Bruno left out of our entire squad who could be labeled central midfielders, and both are struggling with injury, Bruno even if he's playing 90 mins at  the moment.

2 hours ago, Erikse said:

Honestly it doesn't seem like ASM is in Howes long term plans. He's usually on the bench and injuries are holding him back.

ASM has started most games when he's been fully fit. Started first four before injury, then had a run of eight starts in nine games (including the cup final) between West Ham home and West Ham away, only on the bench for Man City away during that stretch. 

I suspect ASM will be sold this summer tbh, kinda hope i'm wrong but don't think he's really Howe's cup of tea. I am very sad about it. 

if were up to me though I would basically judge, does ASm want to be here and be in rotation but not guaranteed starting? Were I Howe i'd have a proper chat with him end of season on if he will be happy and committed as a squad player (with plenty of chances to play with europe) or do you want to be the star player at another squad? If the latter appeals to him more, sell him, no reason to keep hold of a player who is going to be unhappy. If he wants to fight for starting place and does (as I emphasize i think he has) buy into the squad ethic, then absolutely keep. No need to overcomplicate it. 

3 hours ago, Erikse said:

I agree that Willock has some mad potensial! His finishing has been pretty poor this season, but I'm sure he will improve on that. I think Joelinton will be an important player on the left in the next season aswell, definetly not the most urgent position to make a change. His work rate is enourmous, and he has improved a lot offensively and technically aswell. Liverpool has been linked him, but I don't think that he will leave. He's only 26, so he could also improve even more. We might see him feature for Brazil in the future, who knows. I do agree on the names that you mentioned in the last sentence, although Longstaff has been offering very good work rate too which has helped us a lot this season. Not the most technical of midfielders however.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-told-newcastle-hero-joelinton-26826670

https://www.sambafoot.com/news/former-liverpool-striker-sees-joelinton-as-a-key-player-for-newcastle-in-the-next-champions-league

There's no chance Joe will leave us now unless someone wants to pay silly money - north of £100m at least.

The same goes for Bruno, who seems to be subject to be speculation by some. Only the richest clubs could afford him and even then we're talking record figures.

Edited by DoricGinola

21 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Can’t decide if the 7-1 in ‘93 or the 4-3 in ‘97 was my favourite game vs Leicester at SJP.  The 7-1 is burned into the memory banks because of the entire day, but the 4-3 was definitely the better game in the end (we were utterly shite for 75 mins mind)

2-1 away to survive by a long margin. Then probably the 7-1 and the 5-4 up here.

1 minute ago, madras said:

2-1 away to survive by a long margin. Then probably the 7-1 and the 5-4 up here.

Yeah, the 5-4 was a classic.  I missed McGhee’s winner as the atmosphere in the Milburn paddock was raucous after Quinn made it 4-4 and my dad took me off his shoulders.  So the winner for me was basically the back of some bloke’s coat.

The 2-1 was at Filbert Street so I didn’t count it - but it (along with Portsmouth at home the game before) is probably the most important day in NUFC’s history (though in the end we didn’t need the win)