Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

I wonder if Eddie really ever thought he'd get to coach players like this after he left Bournemouth. I know he purposefully didn't rush into another job but the league has a short memory and equally a lot of the jobs that do open up are right double edged swords. Most newly rich clubs would have overlooked him a bit in search for bigger brand managers, and we nearly did going for Emery. Despite today Emery is class but thank god we went with Howe, and now he gets to watch a player in teh champions league and ask the club to buy them and the club does.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I can't tell you how much I love that finish for his goal like. Dunno what it is about it, but I love it. Proper all action 

Because it was so unexpected I think. He looked very easy paced in the pre-seasons, then we suddenly see him exploding into the box and volleying home with a vengeance once the serious stuff got underway. I just love that.

Just now, Tiresias said:

I wonder if Eddie really ever thought he'd get to coach players like this after he left Bournemouth. I know he purposefully didn't rush into another job but the league has a short memory and equally a lot of the jobs that do open up are right double edged swords. Most newly rich clubs would have overlooked him a bit in search for bigger brand managers, and we nearly did going for Emery. Despite today Emery is class but thank god we went with Howe, and now he gets to watch a player in teh champions league and ask the club to buy them and the club does.

The fact that we were willing to take a chance on Howe rather than some has-been who happens to have a head coaching job at a bigger club on his resume was the first sign that the people running the club are smart. (Although to be fair, Howe wasn’t the first choice.)

1 minute ago, oldtype said:

The fact that we were willing to take a chance on Howe rather than some has-been who happens to have a head coaching job at a bigger club on his resume was the first sign that the people running the club are smart. (Although to be fair, Howe wasn’t the first choice.)

“You can’t always get what you want

But if you try sometime you’ll find

You get what you need”

:indi:

7 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

All the happy chemicals are flowing inside me right now, so what I'm about to say may seem a bit cheesy. 

Howe's strategy after leaving Bournemouth is the perfect way to handle a set back; not just as a coach, but in life. His time at Bournemouth was long enough to represent both success and failure. It may have ended on a slightly sour note, but his response; going away and making himself better through reflection and education is what earned him this chance. 

Even with us, we can't claim he inherited a good ship. We were a fixer upper and there was a perfect chemistry between us and him. We both had a point to prove.

I'm not saying this because we've pumped his team 5-1, but I don't think Unai Emery would have worked to be honest. I also don't know how long this journey with Eddie will last, but if he left tomorrow he'd have offers out the door and rightly so. 

Football Italia 🇮🇹 

Italy international Sandro Tonali admits ‘it is one thing to dream and another to experience’ the perfect Newcastle United debut, scoring in the Premier League.

The midfielder made the move to St. James Park for €70m including add-ons from Milan and he took just six minutes to make his mark in the season opener against Aston Villa.

“It was wonderful, the first real game,” Tonali told Sky Sport Italia.

“I let myself go, we really enjoyed ourselves, especially as the game went so well, just as we had prepared it. It was impossible not to enjoy today.”

Newcastle United emerged 5-1 winners this evening and Tonali also had a hand in some of the other goals, as well as forcing a tough save from close range.

Was the Premier League debut the way he had dreamed of it?

“Yes, but it is one thing to dream and another to experience it. Reality is different. I am happy with how it went, now I will go home, relax and rest, then I might realise what happened.”

Tonali’s former Milan teammates were paying attention too and sent him many messages.

“We are always in contact, as before being teammates, they are also friends. I wish them all the best for next week.”

The Newcastle United fans were already singing Tonali’s song – complete with Italian stereotypes – even before he scored the goal.

“It is a very different reality to Milan and everything has to change, even yourself to a degree. You don’t do the same things you did before, you don’t meet up with the same friends that you had.

“It’s a very different lifestyle, but I will always be professional. I felt the warmth of the fans, they were cheering me on from the start. Speaking to the coach after the match, I realised how happy he was and how much he likes me.”

Tonali has already won over the doubters who were concerned that his style might not fit in with the Premier League or Newcastle United, reiterating that he always considered himself more Gennaro Gattuso than Andrea Pirlo.

:smitten:

On 26/07/2023 at 12:53, Dr Venkman said:

Checking out of our hotel in Milan today and the fella behind the desk asked where we’re from. I replied Newcastle and he looked down at his computer then looked me straight in the eye and said ‘you have taken half of the heart of Milan’ :lol:

I told him we’d look after him and it ended with handshakes and ‘see you in the champions league’.

Ok, now I get it.

36 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I can't tell you how much I love that finish for his goal like. Dunno what it is about it, but I love it. Proper all action 

It was Shearer-esque.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Fucking hell, he's only 23!?

Have a mate who loves Serie A and said Tonali and Zaniolo would be the two best midfielders in the world. Zaniolo got unlucky with injuries but Tonali looks like he has what it takes. 

Anyone got the segment on the post match analysis on Tonali from SSN? 

Keep saying I can't believe he plays for my club for too many players at the minute. What a debut! 

Edited by CPL

38 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Have a mate who loves Serie A and said Tonali and Zaniolo would be the two best midfielders in the world. Zaniolo got unlucky with injuries but Tonali looks like he has what it takes. 

Zaniolo looked a sensational talent before his injuries. Real shame about him tbh.

One of the all time shittest songs too which is pure Newcastle. Not only is it shit lyrically but it simply doesn’t work as there’s too many words and syllables which is chefs kiss stuff.

3 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Going off too slowly when being subbed I think 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wow. What. A. Debut. 

His number went up to be subbed. We’d just scored. He made his way over. Was ready to walk off but Tindall and Howe were trying to explain to him to take his time as they wanted him to take the standing ovation. He couldn’t understand them and pretty much got to the sideline to be pushed back on to the pitch. 

He was then booked after the fourth official moaned about it. 

He never got the ovation as everyone was too busy celebrating the final goal.