NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

The continuing links to buying a keeper make me more confident regarding deals for Tosin and Kelly. I don’t think we buy a keeper if either of those turn us down.

Posted (edited)

Had no idea Trafford was as tall as 6ft 6 but as others have mentioned maybe him seeming a bit lightweight is due to him only being 21 and not yet fully filling his frame yet. 

He could also be happy to sit on the bench for the next year while he learns his trade a bit more, there’s very few starting GKs in high level teams who are his age.

Edited by KDT

Press are just linking us with every keeper available - I think it's obvious we need another one. Karius is off and Dubs is way past it.

We need to be honest with ourselves - if Nick Pope's fitness is so unreliable that we need to expend 30 million on a backup, it might be time to move on from Nick Pope altogether.

The answer to the statement, 'What will we do if "X Player" goes down', is the same for just about every player in our starting XI... I'm beating a dead horse at this point but I do hope we'll see some actual upgrades and not just solid squad players. (And think we'll need actual upgrades if we want to compete for top 6).

Think we lost the plot since the first window. Feels like a lot of the links are sideways and english..

4 minutes ago, ATB said:

Think we lost the plot since the first window. Feels like a lot of the links are sideways and english..

Aye, that second window when we signed Isak and Botman was shit.

On 26/05/2024 at 10:32, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone translate for someone completely clueless with this stuff ?

Sorry if answered elsewhere.

Let's say you're at exactly your FFP limit now to the penny, so you need to sell to buy. That year runs to 30 June for all clubs.

When you sell a player, all that income comes in the year, on the exact day, you sell them.

So if you sell a player on 30 June, that income counts this year. But you sell on 1 July, it counts next year.

Buying is different. You buy a player for £30m on a 5 year contract, and they cost you £6m per year, is how we're used to seeing it.

What he's saying is, the cost is actually spread day by day depending on when you make the signing. So, on 30 June that £6m a year doesn't hit all in this year. Only one day's worth does.

Leading to the ridiculous situation that you could sell one player for £30m on 30 June, and buy 365 other players at £30m each on the exact same day, and it would make no difference to this year alone from an FFP point of view. Or just buy one £10.9 billion player.

You'd be stuffed next year, but there you go.

If true, so many ways this could be exploited, so up to and near to 30 June becomes critical, particularly in terms of sales.

Looking forward to Jim White getting his transfer clobber on to celebrate Sky Accountancy Deadline Day on 30 June.

7 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Sorry if answered elsewhere.

Let's say you're at exactly your FFP limit now to the penny, so you need to sell to buy. That year runs to 30 June for all clubs.

When you sell a player, all that income comes in the year, on the exact day, you sell them.

So if you sell a player on 30 June, that income counts this year. But you sell on 1 July, it counts next year.

Buying is different. You buy a player for £30m on a 5 year contract, and they cost you £6m per year, is how we're used to seeing it.

What he's saying is, the cost is actually spread day by day depending on when you make the signing. So, on 30 June that £6m a year doesn't hit all in this year. Only one day's worth does.

Leading to the ridiculous situation that you could sell one player for £30m on 30 June, and buy 365 other players at £30m each on the exact same day, and it would make no difference to this year alone from an FFP point of view. Or just buy one £10.9 billion player.

You'd be stuffed next year, but there you go.

If true, so many ways this could be exploited, so up to and near to 30 June becomes critical, particularly in terms of sales.

Looking forward to Jim White getting his transfer clobber on to celebrate Sky Accountancy Deadline Day on 30 June.

What a mess, has this system benefitted any club 

It makes sense Trafford as a backup keeper can probably get him for a reasonable price. He's still a bairn and he'll learn from popey plus he's decent with his feet. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ben said:

What a mess, has this system benefitted any club 

That's how I'm reading it based purely on that tweet, and also assuming it's right. Happy to be corrected.

But in short to your question, in my personal opinion no.

Edit - sorry, I should take this to the FFP thread, but agree we need a RW.

Edited by Abacus

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Seen absolutely nothing in Trafford to suggest he'll be a decent PL keeper.

He was brilliant at the euros, he's very young for a 'keeper as well 

4 hours ago, 80 said:

I was under the impression it was extremely underwhelming before the injury. Definitely read a Swansea forum saying he was a waste of a signing.

I'm pretty sure he'd scored and assisted a few, but the few Swans fans I met over the years have always been an odd bunch

49 minutes ago, ATB said:

What's worst is that people have liked this post. :lol:

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I'm pretty sure he'd scored and assisted a few, but the few Swans fans I met over the years have always been an odd bunch

He did - I think one came in pretty much his first match - but it was the bread and butter that was the complaint. He's definitely got spectacular bursts in his locker.

Edited by 80

2 hours ago, Upthemags said:

We need to be honest with ourselves - if Nick Pope's fitness is so unreliable that we need to expend 30 million on a backup, it might be time to move on from Nick Pope altogether.

The answer to the statement, 'What will we do if "X Player" goes down', is the same for just about every player in our starting XI... I'm beating a dead horse at this point but I do hope we'll see some actual upgrades and not just solid squad players. (And think we'll need actual upgrades if we want to compete for top 6).

I dunno like, if our backup options hadn't been so dire this season we probably would've finished about 10 points better off.

Obviously you need both, but I can definitely see the logic of upgrading the squad rather than just signing big-money players to start every game. 

2 hours ago, andycap said:

It makes sense Trafford as a backup keeper can probably get him for a reasonable price. He's still a bairn and he'll learn from popey plus he's decent with his feet. 

Agreed. A younger keeper with big potential makes a ton of sense. Let him continue to develop behind Pope, but still be good enough to step in if need be.

3 hours ago, Upthemags said:

All the keeper fixation just confuses me. We have one of the best shot stoppers in the world back healthy, and we want to expend a sizable portion of our budget on his backup? We were bleeding goals long before Dubs was in with a nearing relegation-form back line, and for about half the season the attack looked nearing Championship levels.

You’ll have to show your workings, because every available stat suggests you’re talking shite.

We scored more goals than any NUFC team ever in the PL. As much as we all want and need attacking improvements, scoring has not been a problem.

Having Dubravka for half a season was a problem, however. We conceded goals for fun when he came in - and I think it cost us at 10 points easy.

Focusing budget on a goalkeeper makes perfect sense to me - and to be honest even moreso if we see them as an upgrade on Pope and not just Dubravka.

First choice goalkeeper hitting 32 and having had two major shoulder injuries, with a crappy back up, is another disaster waiting to happen next year.

Pope 15 matches, 16 conceded, 5 clean sheets.

Dubravka 23 matches, 42 conceded, 1 clean sheet.

That's league stats last year. We started conceding at almost double the rate.

So the summation is we simply can't go into next season with Dubravka playing anymore football, as he's miles away from the required standard. Another injury to Pope and we're back there again with basically a 10 point handicap.

A better backup is one option, but most career backup keepers aren't good for a reason. To me going for a first choice upgrade is very sensible squad planning right now.

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Pope 15 matches, 16 conceded, 5 clean sheets.

Dubravka 23 matches, 42 conceded, 1 clean sheet.

That's league stats last year. We started conceding at almost double the rate.

So the summation is we simply can't go into next season with Dubravka playing anymore football, as he's miles away from the required standard. Another injury to Pope and we're back there again with basically a 10 point handicap.

A better backup is one option, but most career backup keepers aren't good for a reason. To me going for a first choice upgrade is very sensible squad planning right now.

Bang on, as much as I like Pope it simply can’t ever happen again.