NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

19 minutes ago, Chris L said:

The academy has been neglected for years. Due to previous owners. So there won’t be a huge pool of talent there at the minute. 

give it a few years and that should change. 

That isn’t the point I’m making.

If you have players that you believe do have the potential then they should be given a chance when the time comes, which is the point with Anderson and Miley.

Guest reefatoon
54 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Hall has played centre mid/left midfield all the way through youth level btw. Only switched to left back when he got into the first team.

Versatile, even better.

Can I sit somewhere in the middle of this argument? I hope Anderson comes good, I think a loan last season may have been better than him staying but with shortness in midfield he probably had to stay. I think realistically though I am not sure he is going to make it, we need home grown players coming in but is he really going to come close to Bruno and Tonoli's level that he can even adequately deputise? Hope so but it is a high bar, and unless he improves he's not going to avoid players being brought in to play ahead of him.

Guest reefatoon
30 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

We might as well sack the academy off now if we are never going to have the faith in youngsters to give them any game time.

We are building the academy as it wasn’t fit for purpose. Give it time [emoji38]

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

We are building the academy as it wasn’t fit for purpose. Give it time [emoji38]

You’ve missed the point in the debate.

If we have players that the club think have the ability to have a future here, then we have to have the faith to give them game time.

Signing another midfielder who will either be sixth choice or a better player to push Longstaff further down the pecking order isn’t going to help players break through in to the first team.

This isn’t about the quality of the players in the academy, it’s about being prepared to have faith in them to give them opportunities.

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

It was his first season stepping up from league 2 to the Premier league. Not sure what you expect from a manager that doesn’t rush players in 

7 minutes ago, 54 said:

Players develop a different points like, Anderson is still only 20, there is literally 0 reason why he couldn't get them minutes like Jones did this next season.

To say he wasn't a member of the squad last season is just silly to be honest. 

I’m not talking about my opinion on the lad. I’m looking at Howe’s past decisions, current decisions to predict his future decisions.  Anderson was the footballing equivalent of the 6th/7th man in our midfield but instead of using him, Howe chose to stick with what was already out there. He didn’t trust him or consider him ready for real responsibility. 

20% of his PL minutes came in a dead rubber. Another 20% came with an injury crisis. 

For his own development he needs real minutes. I don’t see Howe giving him the minutes he needs unless Howe says otherwise. 

I don't think Anderson was even that short on football last season tbh. Featured in 27 games averaging 23 minutes an appearance. Obviously some of those were brief bench appearances but he was hardly starved of action, he had a genuine role in both a cup run and a Champions League push. He'll feature plenty again this season, surrounded by incredible quality on the training pitch. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't think Anderson was even that short on football last season tbh. Featured in 27 games averaging 23 minutes an appearance. Obviously some of those were brief bench appearances but he was hardly starved of action, he had a genuine role in both a cup run and a Champions League push. He'll feature plenty again this season, surrounded by incredible quality on the training pitch. 

Spot on. It’ll now be his 2nd season with more games he’ll get more minutes 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

You've just summed it up perfectly :thup: 

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

gonna be the 3rd in a row to say spot on 

Edited by Gawalls

Doku would be an interesting alternative to St Max and younger. Him and Todibo would complete the window nicely.

We’ll dominate possession with Tonali and Bruno but think we’ll still struggle to break teams down and need something different in final third.

48 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

We are still clearly short in midfield. If Bruno has a season ending injury we are in crisis even now. Things are better with Tonoli of course but that would still have a massive impact on us, we couldn't brush that aside and say we are going to compete on all fronts for rest of season

Were not short in midfield at all. Even less so in Livramento signs AND Howe thinks he can do RWF of (a front 3)

We've 11 for 5, many who can play various roles within that 5

As for losing Bruno with a long term (God forbid) there isn't one team in this league would "brush aside" losing a talisman. Not one. 

Man City could override losing KDB but they're out of our stratosphere. 

1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

Were not short in midfield at all. Even less so in Livramento signs AND Howe thinks he can do RWF of (a front 3)

We've 11 for 5, many who can play various roles within that 5

As for losing Bruno with a long term (God forbid) there isn't one team in this league would "brush aside" losing a talisman. Not one. 

Man City could override losing KDB but they're out of our stratosphere. 

that's my take on it as well - i think he'll play Livramento in RWF and Barnes on t'other with the two of them creating problems for teams that sit back.

45 minutes ago, Mikky said:

i’ve mentioned Lewis Hall loads of times on here 

He’s a brilliant talent - would be over the moon if we got him 

Don’t think it will happen. I have seen Chelsea fans say they would be furious if he was sold and I’m sure they have activated a extra year on his contract

I'm fairly sure it was Howe or Ashworth who said they're targeting players to come in that improve the first 11. With youth also incoming that they hope will challenge the squad in a season or two such as Minteh or Kuol. These two movements going forward are likely to dictate our current purchases as you would think Minteh is going to displace Murphy next season if he has a good experience at Feyenoord.

If I was to look at the current squad, on the assumption we sign Barnes and Livramento, then the obvious place to strengthen this season would be a left back that is an upgrade on Burn and a centre back that is an upgrade on Schar. Given our current spend it might be that Tosin Adarabioyo or Harwood Bellis are in consideration based on profile we've gone for so far.

Either way I like what we're doing. even losing ASM while disappointing I think we're going to have to get used to some decisions being difficult. Next season we could see Wilson go and I'm sure Ashworth has said they try to look three windows ahead...

Guest reefatoon
42 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

You’ve missed the point in the debate.

If we have players that the club think have the ability to have a future here, then we have to have the faith to give them game time.

Signing another midfielder who will either be sixth choice or a better player to push Longstaff further down the pecking order isn’t going to help players break through in to the first team.

This isn’t about the quality of the players in the academy, it’s about being prepared to have faith in them to give them opportunities.

Well that is all about having the quality of players though. They aren’t coming through as there was no quality there. You can’t have faith in players that are nowhere near good enough or have no chance of performing. You said “might as well get rid of the academy”,  but they are now making massive strides on this as it was neglected for so long. So down the line we will see players coming through and have faith in them as they will be good enough.

I can’t say this enough - we really need to try and enjoy this period rather than getting anxious about who we may or may not sign at certain positions.  We will get there in the coming years.  It will take time and it will be exciting. 

We continue to carry a few duffers in the squad, football manager is not real life and it is evidently very hard to move players on who paid above their ability. 

Other than that brief unsustained upturn under Pardew, this is the best it’s been for 20 years.  I’ll be looking to soak up each game and enjoy the journey the club is on.  

I also have faith that the executive team, management and coaching staff know what they are doing.  They can and will make the odd mistake, it’s football and we are talking about humans here - but the trajectory is very exciting.

I still can’t believe we managed to sign Tonali from Milan and I’m confident there is more business to be done before the transfer window closes.

4 hours ago, Holmesy said:

Surely we can’t go into this season with no first choice left back?! It’s arguably the position we’ve needed to strengthen most and we’re about to sign another right back. 
I know ‘trust the process’ and all that shit but the full back situation is a bit of a head scratcher! 

Well Eddie's not scratching his head, he'll start Burn as usual and if he has to Targett.

3 minutes ago, OptimusSlime said:

I can’t say this enough - we really need to try and enjoy this period rather than getting anxious about who we may or may not sign at certain positions.  We will get there in the coming years.  It will take time and it will be exciting. 

We continue to carry a few duffers in the squad, football manager is not real life and it is evidently very hard to move players on who paid above their ability. 

Other than that brief unsustained upturn under Pardew, this is the best it’s been for 20 years.  I’ll be looking to soak up each game and enjoy the journey the club is on.  

I also have faith that the executive team, management and coaching staff know what they are doing.  They can and will make the odd mistake, it’s football and we are talking about humans here - but the trajectory is very exciting.

I still can’t believe we managed to sign Tonali from Milan and I’m confident there is more business to be done before the transfer window closes.

Great Post. Agree 100%

Agree totally as well. 

Weird to say for someone for posts every day, but I really don’t care much what we do from now and I don’t have expectations for next season either. 

Just hope I can get tickets, we play well and we have plenty of good moments to celebrate. 

Howay the lads.