NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I think people are being incredibly harsh on Ramsdale. In keeper terms he's barely matured yet. Was Pope highly rated at his age?

Anyway, it's hardly a priority and certainly not a hill worth dying on.

2 hours ago, BrianSwan said:

NEEDED

To get another top 4 finish (others have strengthened)

New CB, New Winger

To win the league

2 New CB, New CM, 2 New Wingers

Man City have a CB talent pool of Ake, Akanji, Dias, Gvardiol, Stones

‘Brian’ doesn’t rate our CBs. Best partnership in the league incidentally. 

14 hours ago, STM said:

I think people are being incredibly harsh on Ramsdale. In keeper terms he's barely matured yet. Was Pope highly rated at his age?

Anyway, it's hardly a priority and certainly not a hill worth dying on.

Yep, he’s still only 25; he has represented England through all age groups. He’s obviously worth considering. 

On 30/10/2023 at 18:18, The Prophet said:

Newcastle consults and enters the dispute for Marcos Leonardo; Santos dreams of a sale between 20 and 25 million euros.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/marcos-leonardo-a-diamond-in-the-rough/

Nice write up on Marcos Leonardo. Looks like he'd be a really decent option for a young 3rd striker, who already has a decent amount of first team experience.

The bit about his pressing was interesting, as I think that is such a big consideration for Howe.

As much as Hope can be an arsehole I gave his youtube video a watch ( don't judge me). His point is right now you buy players to push current starters to the bench, therefore providing depth while strengthening the first 11. We gambled on rewarding the current squad and putting our eggs in youth and bringing the average age of squad down. In hindsight, it may well have been the wrong call. Issue is we financially can not afford to do both, but ideally do need to do both so as to not push the issue down the road so damned if you do or don't scenario. 

We weren't happy with the drop in quality from trippier to the next player and weren't 100% happy with the other side as it turns out we have needed further up the pitch. Had we had injuries still, but mainly in defence, we may have seen the summer as a masterstroke. 

I think we made the right signings with the financial manoeuvring we had to do. Tonali’s issues came out of the blue and Barnes getting a freak injury so early is very frustrating.

I’m not fussed about a champions league finish this year. Obviously I want to be in the competition next season and it helps financially, but we need to be in Europe again to build up the coefficient. We can’t keep being lumbered with the group we got this time. If we had one ‘winnable’ team in out group now, we’d get through no doubt and then who knows how far we could go

There's a lot of hindsight being applied to our summer business when we looked pretty well stocked in the final third.

If we'd signed a forward but picked up injuries to Trippier and Burn, folk would be questioning the depth of the defence when we have ample attackers. 3-4 players missing in any area of the pitch and we're going to look light. It'll be that way for a while until we beef up the squad.

Actually I think we’ve done well to have this many players out but still be able to deliver a strong first XI.

My main concern is up front as with game intensive periods there is too much to ask from one striker if the other is injured.

I don’t think it is ideal to potentially now have to play Gordon or Joelinton up top, not a great fit and further weakens our depleted midfield.

I think we will regret selling Wood more than we regretted selling ASM.

We need a cheap workhorse as our third choice striker.

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

There's a lot of hindsight being applied to our summer business when we looked pretty well stocked in the final third.

If we'd signed a forward but picked up injuries to Trippier and Burn, folk would be questioning the depth of the defence when we have ample attackers. 3-4 players missing in any area of the pitch and we're going to look light. It'll be that way for a while until we beef up the squad.

Think for the majority the priority was:

RW

CM

LB

CB

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

A lot of us wanted a right winger, but that was more to improve the quality of the first team with a view to offloading Almiron or Murphy. The depth looked fine with Gordon being able to play there too.

The Barnes injury has made the issue more prominent again I think. If Barnes had been fit we would’ve had more opportunity to field the Barnes/Gordon combo which could be great. RW next summer for me. 

For me personally a right sided attacker and CM was priority above all. Perhaps LB if it meant Targett leaving. Not sure how many windows it’s been without us signing a RW. We got Barnes but imo Gordon should stay left side because that is his best position. I also don’t see Barnes being a starting player in a top top side. Not good enough in general play to be one. Not necessarily a bad player. Effective in the right setup. For us to get to the next level we need players with next level technical ability and footballing IQ. Not that I’m unhappy with the signings we have made. I just would have prioritised differently. 

Edited by Ikon

If howe had played them on Saturday and they made no difference then I think fans would of understood that they're not ready yet for tough games. But by not giving them a chance it makes fans frustrated. 

Edited by andycap

4 hours ago, nufcjmc said:

As much as Hope can be an arsehole I gave his youtube video a watch ( don't judge me). His point is right now you buy players to push current starters to the bench, therefore providing depth while strengthening the first 11. We gambled on rewarding the current squad and putting our eggs in youth and bringing the average age of squad down. In hindsight, it may well have been the wrong call. Issue is we financially can not afford to do both, but ideally do need to do both so as to not push the issue down the road so damned if you do or don't scenario. 

We weren't happy with the drop in quality from trippier to the next player and weren't 100% happy with the other side as it turns out we have needed further up the pitch. Had we had injuries still, but mainly in defence, we may have seen the summer as a masterstroke. 

I thought in the summer we might have a lopsided squad for 2-3 windows while players we want long term become available and I'm completely at ease with that. Yeah we could have used a £40m right-winger, but the long term replacement for Trippier was right there, right now. Similarly with Hall on the other side. 

Give it 2 years and I bet we're strong in every department. We've only had 4 windows under this ownership and one of those involved just signing what we could to survive. 4 windows time we'll likely have a title contending squad. It'll just take a bit more time to rebalance. 

16 minutes ago, Ikon said:

For me personally a right sided attacker and CM was priority above all. Perhaps LB if it meant Targett leaving. Not sure how many windows it’s been without us signing a RW. We got Barnes but imo Gordon should stay left side because that is his best position. I also don’t see Barnes being a starting player in a top top side. Not good enough in general play to be one. Not necessarily a bad player. Effective in the right setup. For us to get to the next level we need players with next level technical ability and footballing IQ. Not that I’m unhappy with the signings we have made. I just would have prioritised differently. 

RW is the only position we haven’t directly strengthened since the takeover.