NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, Decky said:

Oh no doubt they are very well run. I just never would have predicted Villa being the team going toe to toe with us at the start. I would probably have seen it being Leicester, a team that was in and around the top 7/8 in recent years. Mental to think that they're not in the top flight anymore. 

They didn't look so well run a year ago when Stevie G was running them down the pan. :lol:

Amazing the difference just appointing a decent manager can do.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

They didn't look so well run a year ago when Stevie G was running them down the pan. :lol:

Who’d have thunk it! 

image.thumb.png.81ba4a8f8953bad4423bc36dd3058686.png

Edited by PauloGeordio

12 minutes ago, STM said:

I'm convinced the reason we are signing the likes of Minteh and Kuol is in order to flip them for a profit.

Been thinking that for a while now as well. It's not what we are used to, but it's how Ashworth operated at Brighton.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

In fairness they took a punt on Gerrard when it looked like he might be a half decent manager and it just didn't work out. Were we not looking at him at the time too?

7 minutes ago, TRC said:

Love to see a break down of this, 1 massive sale keeps gives them seemingly unlimited funds?

Pretty much, grealish cost them zero as he came from their academy. They sold him for 100 million. That’s an extra 100 million allowed in the 3 year ffp period, and when you factor in outgoings are amortised, they could effectively sign 3 £50 million players on 5 year deals, and they grealish money would pretty much cover the fee and wages for the first :l3 years. Then factor in you can have another £105 million losses on top, they could do it twice

I think we would all like a few more signings to cope with the extra games this season, but i think I'd be a lot more pissed off if I was an Everton, Spurs, West Ham or Sheff Utd fan.

10 minutes ago, Decky said:

In fairness they took a punt on Gerrard when it looked like he might be a half decent manager and it just didn't work out. Were we not looking at him at the time too?

I hope not. One of the biggest endorsements of our running of the club under this regime is we targeted both Emery and Howe, both have turned out to be brilliant choices. If we did approach Gerrard, hopefully one interview with the dimwit will have made us look elsewhere.

28 minutes ago, STM said:

I'm convinced the reason we are signing the likes of Minteh and Kuol is in order to flip them for a profit.

It’s a a no brainier 

if they excel on loan - you try them in the first team in the cup competitions 

If they do well but not up to (our) first team standard you look to sell on with a bit of profit.

if they kick on , you’ve bought a bargain at a low price that saves us big dollar on the transfer market 

either or 

1 hour ago, STM said:

Yeah I agree. I’m sure some of these buys will make it to the first team but I think the majority of them will be sold on 

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Had a look at this before and if transfermrkt is to be believed he's played more and been more productive when played on the right.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/federico-chiesa/leistungsdaten/spieler/341092/plus/0?saison=ges

IMG_20230731_171527.thumb.jpg.b8424ba90f1323c02b76cd470a27e747.jpg

Those goals from the right...

I can just imagine me calling up a talk show in 15 years time. "The first point Id like to make is about Federico, he played for Newcastle United, quite a few years ago..." 

From a logical point of view, how well would Minteh have to do at Feyernood for us to consider playing him in our first team next year? He'd have to absolutely tear the Dutch league apart, and even then it wouldn't be a guarantee.

On the other hand, if he can do well enough to grab the attention of a few scouts across Europe's... shall we say, more average sides... we might well get a half decent fee for him 9? 12? 15m?

It's massive for us, if we can start getting the conveyer belt moving. 

It's the same reason why we are signing up all the best domestic youngsters, if they don't make it with us, you can get a champo club to take them and slap a 25% sell on into the deal.

Just now, andycap said:

Chukuewemeka or something like that 😂 

Aye thats 130m for Grealish and him. No wonder that Villa are hoying the cash around. Their FFP balance is probably healthy as fuck for a few years.

1 minute ago, STM said:

From a logical point of view, how well would Minteh have to do at Feyernood for us to consider playing him in our first team next year? He'd have to absolutely tear the Dutch league apart, and even then it wouldn't be a guarantee.

On the other hand, if he can do well enough to grab the attention of a few scouts across Europe's... shall we say, more average sides... we might well get a half decent fee for him 9? 12? 15m?

It's massive for us, if we can start getting the conveyer belt moving. 

It's the same reason why we are signing up all the best domestic youngsters, if they don't make it with us, you can get a champo club to take them and slap a 25% sell on into the deal.

I don’t think we are signing them specifically to sell them, the aim is that they become good enough for the first team as we can’t keep buying proven players but if they don’t make the grade they will be sold.

Like it or not Chelsea are the masters at it. Sent Colwill on loan to Brighton as part of being "fleeced" over Cucarella. Brighton then turned Colwill into a 50m CB and Chelsea got him back. [emoji38]

7 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I don’t think we are signing them specifically to sell them, the aim is that they become good enough for the first team as we can’t keep buying proven players but if they don’t make the grade they will be sold.

I think there's a clear calculation on our part. When we sign them, I bet its not "will they be good enough for us?", but more "how much will they be worth in 3 years?"

If they turn out to be good enough for us, fantastic but I'm fairly certain it's now part of our strategy to start farming players.

Saliba is a great example of how every now and then you can discover a golden nugget. I don't think Arsenal had any intention of keeping him until he started smashing it in France. I bet they were as surprised as anyone.

Edit: Hadn't realised Arsenal spent 27m on Saliba. Probably not a great example. Still he was 19 and has doubled in price, possibly trebled.

Edited by STM

51 minutes ago, STM said:

Didn’t we pay 7m for Minteh? I can’t see us selling him after one season for such a marginal gain.

6 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

If you look at last season, it was only Pope and Botman that had been bought by this point (Targett was on loan so already here). So it wasn't spectacular in terms of spending UNTIL we got Isak. If we had gotten Joao Pedro, it would have been solid instead of spectacular as a window. But it took us to 4th. 

The point is, Tonali is the Botman, and Barnes is the Pope - both very very good signings. So I do think an Isak equivalent is on the cards still to come in - perhaps at RW. 

It's becoming clearer that Tierney is on his way out - so honestly, a loan to buy there should be an absolute no-brainer (and could be the Targett equivalent - relative to where we are now). 

Last season it was abundantly clear we were under ffp limit, not so much now.