Tino Livramento

Yorkie

9 minutes ago, 54 said:

I'm sure people have mentioned it, but it's become noticeable how well he interchanges with Trippier, not in terms of position, but when to go forward. We like to ensure we have 3 defenders at the back while in possession, usually Burn would tuck in and Trippier would bomb forward causing an overload on that right hand side. While that's been effective, it can be predictable and cause a slight imbalance in the team, now however Trippier is more willing to stay back and allow Tino to go forward, and vice versa, meaning we're more unpredictable for the opposition to gauge. 

This one may have been by necessity, but it's once again a show of Howe adapting and changing via subtle tweaks in the system.

Should do wonders for Tripps's conditioning too in that he doesn't have to be getting up and down the wing every single possession switch. Let him stay back and get a breather. 

1 minute ago, AngusHyd said:

I’m a Saints fan but have been following how Tino does for you guys. I’m really happy to see him ripping apart teams already for you. It’s interesting to see him play LB, whilst we had him we had a similar issue to you guys in that KWP and Tino both RBs were also both considerably better than any of our LBs. We played KWP LB and Tino RB. 

Long term I see Tino going further up the pitch, he’s just too good attacking to not fully utilise against teams defence. I reckon a Bale like transition. He has all the ability Bale had and it appears from the outside an either better attitude. Whilst playing for Saints, I reckoned he had the ability to become one of the best in the world and that hasn’t changed, I’m amazed by how well he has come back from such a serious injury. The last player to play for us with his talent was VVD and for a few years he was head and shoulders above any CB in the world. 

Thanks for the input, he's been tremendous when he's played. Very few players in the world could dislodge Trippier right now from RB.

I've seen a few people mention the Bale comparison. He's certainly got the athleticism and the attacking intent. That said, when I see him I don't see him as necessarily having that world class technique to hit that level in midfield. He's good technically, don't get me wrong, but some players, like Bale, Trippier, just look next level to normal premier league playes with their control and touch and striking. Tino hasn't looked naturally at that level to me (Trippier with Tino's athleticism and we'd be on to something). Though I suppose there's still time to develop and we still haven't seen that much of him to be fair.

I have been incredibly impressed with his defending, which from his inexperience & Saints' fans comments beforehand I was expecting to still be a bit raw. He's been very switched on with great closing speed, no reckless tackles. Absolutely shut out.

So in summary, I'm not sure he could be an elite winger/forward (he could probably be a good to very good one), but I do think he could be an elite fullback. Hell, from his performances so far he already is! And I'd take that any day, I think fullback is generally an undervalued position.

2 minutes ago, Checko said:

Thanks for the input, he's been tremendous when he's played. Very few players in the world could dislodge Trippier right now from RB.

I've seen a few people mention the Bale comparison. He's certainly got the athleticism and the attacking intent. That said, when I see him I don't see him as necessarily having that world class technique to hit that level in midfield. He's good technically, don't get me wrong, but some players, like Bale, Trippier, just look next level to normal premier league playes with their control and touch and striking. Tino hasn't looked naturally at that level to me (Trippier with Tino's athleticism and we'd be on to something). Though I suppose there's still time to develop and we still haven't seen that much of him to be fair.

I have been incredibly impressed with his defending, which from his inexperience & Saints' fans comments beforehand I was expecting to still be a bit raw. He's been very switched on with great closing speed, no reckless tackles. Absolutely shut out.

So in summary, I'm not sure he could be an elite winger/forward (he could probably be a good to very good one), but I do think he could be an elite fullback. Hell, from his performances so far he already is! And I'd take that any day, I think fullback is generally an undervalued position.

Agree with this, I love him as a very offensive full back, Bale has an absolute monster of a left foot which made it worthwhile pushing him forward. Tino is another level defensively compared to Bale as well. 

He is great on the ball. Fast and direct when dribbling. But on what I have seen since he has been here (I can’t properly comment on his Saints days). I don’t get the idea of wanting to play him further forward? 

He looks like he absolutely loves defending and he is world class at it. He’s a monster when squared up one on one with a winger and they very rarely get past.

Carrying the ball from deep is totally different to receiving the ball higher up the pitch, possibly back to goal at time. He’d be more tightly marked, less room to operate, expected to make runs in behind etc etc. 

To me, he looks like the perfect modern day full back. 

Yeah I'm happy with him staying at full back. His defensive ability would be wasted in pushing him up.

And we've already had a full back-heavy attacking focus thanks to how integral Trippier is for us, so it actually feels like it's a spot on replacement for how we play (albeit different attacking styles) as and when he starts to decline.

Yeah, I'm not sure about him playing further forward.

He absolutely could do it at a decent level but he's clearly so good at being a full back I don't see the reason for him to push forward.

There's usually two reasons a full back ends up further forward, their attacking game (shooting, passing, crossing) is elite and/or their defensive game isn't that good. 

That doesn't apply to Livramento. I think he remains a full back and a bloody class one at that. 

3 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

I'm (very) pleasantly surprised with just how good he has been. When we bought him I thought it was a lot of money, but crying out loud he's worth every penny!

I remember watching him for Southampton and he was this good back then - you have doubts post ACL but he seems to have picked it back up - throw in a bunch of top class players and coaches to work with, his development escalates.

I knew he would be better than Tripps at left back - gives the team a completely new dimension - plus I think its really beginning to benefit Big Joe, who doesn’t have to cover much now - can just hold his role and leave Tino and Gordon to it 

There was a moment in the first half where him and Garnacho got to stretch their legs chasing a through ball,

Looked to be 50/50 until Tino put on the afterburners and it was like Garnacho was standing still. Kyle Walker recovery pace. Considering the position wasn't a priority and we didn't have unlimited funds to spend last summer whoever was the brain behind that signing deserves all the credit they get.

Edited by jackflap

I had no idea who he was when he signed, but now I'm not sure I'll calm down any time soon. 

He's so good he makes Gordon look ordinary. What a player. As I said in the match thread, he's already got a claim on our best ever PL left back, and he doesn't even play there. 

I'd start him ahead of Enrique, Pearce, Bernard, Domi. 

To have the ability to be this good, at this level, at his age is Shearer (Southampton then Blackburn) levels of quality. 

He might just be our best ever young player in the PL. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he carries on like this he'll end up with Real coveting him. And that's if he doesn't even improve further. 

Bale trajectory, fuck me, what a scary thought. 

Was there much of an outcry from Southampton fans when he was sold? I honestly can't remember in contrast to say Lewis Hall where there was major disappointment from Chelsea fans.

You'd have thought Southampton fans would have been gutted to lose him.

Edited by Minhosa

I think Southampton fans knew he would be sold, probably disappointed it wasn't more but considering his injury record and them dropping into the championship knew probably inevitable. Think they needed a reset and chance to build new team so the sales probably good for the club long term

3 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I think Southampton fans knew he would be sold, probably disappointed it wasn't more but considering his injury record and them dropping into the championship knew probably inevitable. Think they needed a reset and chance to build new team so the sales probably good for the club long term

If I'm perfectly honest, I felt the fee was high at the time given his recent ACL injury.

To play like that though, 3 90 mins in a week, against that level of opposition and be outstanding. Wow.

What a buy.

2 hours ago, Minhosa said:

Was there much of an outcry from Southampton fans when he was sold? I honestly can't remember in contrast to say Lewis Hall where there was major disappointment from Chelsea fans.

You'd have thought Southampton fans would have been gutted to lose him.

Probably helps they already have Kyle Walker-Peters to play RB so getting the fee as a relegated team without losing a first teamer isn't too bad considering.

He's way better than I was expecting mind albeit I can't remember watching him before he joined.

The Southampton fan on Loaded Mag said that we wouldn't be getting him because he was destined for the very top right now, but we were a few years off. He absolutely raved about him and then when we signed him, came back on and basically said we'd signed a star. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

The Southampton fan on Loaded Mag said that we wouldn't be getting him because he was destined for the very top right now, but we were a few years off. He absolutely raved about him and then when we signed him, came back on and basically said we'd signed a star. 

I knew he was very good from watching him play at Southampton, but I wasn’t really paying attention to how good he actually was, if that makes any sense! Watching him over the last month or so in this run of fixtures, the talent is there to see. He has everything needed to be the best full back in the world for the next 10 years or so and I’m so happy we signed him