Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

8 hours ago, STM said:

We've only signed 2 players [emoji38] and one of them, Barnes, is incredibly unlikely to start. If the rest don't have a decent chemistry after last season, I'm not sure one friendly is going to change things.

Howe is keeping his cards close to his chest for 2 reasons:

1. It motivates the players

2. It gives Villa something to think about.

Haven’t we signed 3? Or is that not through yet?

11 hours ago, The Prophet said:

This having options business feels a bit weird.

It both excites me and unnerves me that going into this season there are only three players - Botman, Schar and Pope that I am confident I know that they will be picked in a specific position whenever fit.

12 hours ago, andycap said:

Do you think playing gordon Barnes and miggy against these with there high backline could be fruitful? 

Would be a bold choice and might absolutely terrorise them. It’s a choice between ‘Steady Eddie’ (don’t tinker unless you need to) Vs ‘Chess Eddie’ (who will fancy the tactical/strategy battle with Emery). 
I think he’ll stick with the let them worry about us approach, rather than adapting to them. But maybe the mauling by them away might change that. It’s only that away game and Liverpool at home, with the long out balls, where it seemed like the opposition had figured out how to really hurt us. 

5 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Ultimately pre-season results and goals means little. Lads need to get fully focused as Aston Villa will be very tough and likely one of our rivals for the top 4 this season. 

Top 5 this season.

11 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Ultimately pre-season results and goals means little. Lads need to get fully focused as Aston Villa will be very tough and likely one of our rivals for the top 4 this season. 

Feeling generous this morning I see.

9 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Pope

Trippier 

Schar

Botman 

Burn 

Longstaff 

Bruno

Joe

Almiron

Isak

Gordon 

I think it will be the above....I think its a bit early for Tonali, would prefer Barnes to Gordon, ive nothing against Gordon though. With the above lineup we've got great options off the bench...Wilson, Barnes, tonali, Murphy, Anderson...once we get willock fit...we will have plenty of options. 

Edited by Bally21

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Mad it'd give us Tonali, Anderson, Barnes and Wilson to bring off the bench. We're building up some quality depth.

Does that leave us enough fullbacks available off the bench? I get a little nervous without the usual five or six.

8 hours ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Good insight. Useful to know.

9 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Pope

Trippier 

Schar

Botman 

Burn 

Longstaff 

Bruno

Joe

Almiron

Isak

Gordon 

Could be reet. I’d prefer Anderson over longstaff and barnes over Gordon. May well even start Wilson.

Barnes      Wilson     Miggy 

Anderson Big Joe fkn BRUNO! 

Burn   Botman    Schar  Trippier

Pope 

Bench: dubs, A. Murphy, Tino, Tonali, Gordon, Longstaff, J. Murphy, L. Miley,  Isak

Some canny options either way…! 

Do we know how Aston Villa will line up? Heard somewhere that they’re playing Diaby more centrally. Maybe just imagined it?

edit: also some debate as to whether Tielemans is even a starter.

Edited by gazza ladra

15 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Do we know how Aston Villa will line up? Heard somewhere that they’re playing Diaby more centrally. Maybe just imagined it?

edit: also some debate as to whether Tielemans is even a starter.

I have a feeling they may go three at the back