Newcastle United 5-1 Aston Villa - 12/08/23

Disco

13 hours ago, Disco said:

:lol: didn’t realise I was in frame for that when I watched earlier. Was actually Martinez my ire was aimed at. “Cheating fucking bastard” IIRC. 

Classic Disco hating on the forrins.

Winners (365)

Newcastle

Since the start of last season, Newcastle have scored four or more goals in nine Premier League games. Only Manchester City (10) have managed it more often – and that is fine company to keep.

Drill down a little further into the standard of teams Newcastle have put to the sword and their development is laid bare: Fulham, Brentford, Aston Villa (twice), Southampton, West Ham, Spurs, Everton and Brighton.

A couple of relegation contenders, sure, but the rest are a mix of solid mid-table sides at worst, then European hopefuls and champions or supposed contemporaries at best.

Many assumed Aston Villa would lead a chasing pack promising to provide a stern challenge to Newcastle this season as Eddie Howe dealt with heightened expectations and new problems. They still might; this was a one-off game in which the teams were separated by one shot but also four goals, and Villa’s 3-0 win over the Magpies in April defined neither team’s season.

But this was quite the statement to issue and in perfect time before the obstacles start to get a little more daunting. Manchester City (a), Liverpool (h), Brighton (a) and Brentford (h) before the first Champions League group game is the sort of run that will give an even greater indication of where Newcastle are.

18 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

You'll have to excuse me because I've had a few drinks, but I'm trying to rein myself in a bit. When we were on it yesterday that's probably the most excited I've been about what we're going to be this side of Keegan. I had the same feeling that I had at the start of 94/95, when we were electric.

Pre-season was okay, but that match felt like the big reveal of the team we are. The coherence between the players, the urgency, the crispness, and the quality each player showed was an absolute pleasure to watch.

Tonali was outstanding and something about him felt transformational, Isak is even better than I thought he was, and Barnes looks fantastic, but thinking back (and I can't believe I'm saying this considering how much I disliked him before we signed him) but I was probably most excited about how good Gordon can be.

He was fantastic, so much enthusiasm and direct, incisive play. In a team with plenty of exciting players, when he was on the ball he probably excited me the most in terms of his unpredictability.

I watched the match cam last night in awe and felt the same. These guys are playing at such a level it’s genuinely joyful to watch. A part of me was just like, fuck, maybe we might just do something amazing this season.

The Villa high line is taking grief, but it's something they executed really well last season.

Clearly they missed Mings and Torres had an absolute shocker, granted there were seriously mitigating circumstances. It'll be interesting to see if it's something they persist with or whether they have a bit of a rejig.

From my angle watching the incident that lead to the injury I thought Isak had barged into him in an effort to get to the ball.

The replays on MOTD seem to show that Mings himself stepped across Isak and barged him but, somehow unbalanced himself to the point his knee buckled horribly underneath his weight.

Wish him well for his recovery.

Yeah was good. Didn't have to acknowledge it either as it should be a given when a player is hurt like that.

Remember a player as vile (and good too) as Mark Hughes plying for the vile Man United team getting the same treatment having literally just scored against us.

5 hours ago, Disco said:

Aye it’s definitely me. I’ve just watched it back. 

I’ve never been able to dig it out but when I was in 6th form during the Villa 3-0 win where Shearer scored that volley I was the HT filler shot on ITVs ill fated ‘The Premiership’ with just me and old lad I sat next too having a chat as we I used to sit directly opposite the main halfway camera position.

Have you got that footage still?

I still have it somewhere on tape if you don't, can't do anything with it at the moment, but have the full match on DVD on Spanish TV which uses the same camera footage so might be on that too.

The sky perverts did it to me in a game against Leeds in 98, was just minding me own, camera shy and everything. Wouldn't be surprised if that tapes gone. Naff game anyway.

Edited by Jonas

20 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Have you got that footage still?

I still have it somewhere on tape if you don't, can't do anything with it at the moment, but have the full match on DVD on Spanish TV which uses the same camera footage so might be on that too.

The sky perverts did it to me in a game against Leeds in 98, was just minding me own, camera shy and everything. Wouldn't be surprised if that tapes gone. Naff game anyway.

Nah, should’ve taped it at the time but I’ve not been able to find it online when I’ve looked. Was 2-3 second shot of a 16-17 year old talking to a fella who must’ve been in his 80s.

Just now, Disco said:

Nah, should’ve taped it at the time but I’ve not been able to find it online when I’ve looked. Was 2-3 second shot of a 16-17 year old talking to a fella who must’ve been in his 80s.

Taped a few of them that year as it was all such a bonus and wasn't sure, after Dalglish and Gullit, they'd last...and sure enough.

Sort you out with a copy someday.

Sounds like the same one got you as me in the East Stand, otherwise I'd wonder if the old guy wasn't Auld Stevie

2 hours ago, pinkeye said:

From my angle watching the incident that lead to the injury I thought Isak had barged into him in an effort to get to the ball.

The replays on MOTD seem to show that Mings himself stepped across Isak and barged him but, somehow unbalanced himself to the point his knee buckled horribly underneath his weight.

Wish him well for his recovery.

Cheers Geoff.

8 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Fergus McBitters knows we are coming. 

Yep, realises we’re the coming threat in the league and reverts straight back to his persona from the KK days.

If there was ever something to confirm we have them worried it’s this.