Lewis Hall

Paully

It's hard to draw anything from this, other than the positive of getting competitive minutes into his legs.

With a whole makeshift back line, and in a kind of midfield role instead of LB, in a first half where there was no composure from most players, I'm not sure anyone shone.

(Saying that, both Dummett and Lascelles put in a shift and Target was OK.)

My point being that it's easy to think the players who were subbed were the reason the team weren't performing, but hopefully nobody thinks that, given that in that half almost nobody could keep the ball.

To me, it seems he has very good technique & athleticism even just from last night. A lovely turn before being fouled, some nice little dribbles in space, the excellent ball for Isak. Probably going to be a quiet first half of the season for him but expect he'll start to really push after New Year.

10 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

To me, it seems he has very good technique & athleticism even just from last night. A lovely turn before being fouled, some nice little dribbles in space, the excellent ball for Isak. Probably going to be a quiet first half of the season for him but expect he'll start to really push after New Year.

Thought the same, he looked to have all the tools, just a little nervous in a pressure start in midfield. And we didn't really have the ball. Have no doubt he's a class player. 

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

It seems to take players about half a season to fit into Eddie's system anyway.

The good drugs don't take effect straight away.

He's 18, didn't have a pre-season and tactically looked a bit lost but technically looked reasonably sharp. Overall promising but eclipsed somewhat by Tino being electric. I'm sure Eddie would've had a word with him and Miley after hooking them to allay any doubts.

2 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

The good drugs don't take effect straight away.

He's 18, didn't have a pre-season and tactically looked a bit lost but technically looked reasonably sharp. Overall promising but eclipsed somewhat by Tino being electric. I'm sure Eddie would've had a word with him and Miley after hooking them to allay any doubts.

Hasn't busted out the in-game stats editor for Hall yet.

5 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

He passed the TCD baller test and that's the most important thing. The mentality test is pending but the rest of it is getting minutes and finding a role for him.

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He passed the TCD baller test and that's the most important thing. The mentality test is pending but the rest of it is getting minutes and finding a role for him.

😋👍🏽

He wanted the ball. Alot can be said for that.

He was raw as fuck and I'm not sure on how we employed him positionally. I'd like to see him brought on in a game when we are winning comfortably, when there is plenty of space on the pitch.

You rarely see the best of players when you are backs against the wall, well unless you are a centre half etc. It's hardly the best situation to showcase yourself.

Edited by STM

• 3 weeks later...

A little disappointed Howe didn't see fit to make Hall one of today's 5 substitutions while 4-0 up today. You'd have hoped the risk-reward ratio would favour giving Burn a 20 minute break. I'm sure he's right, but I'd like to know why he's right.

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

A little disappointed Howe didn't see fit to make Hall one of today's 5 substitutions while 4-0 up today. You'd have hoped the risk-reward ratio would favour giving Burn a 20 minute break. I'm sure he's right, but I'd like to know why he's right.

I'd have liked to see Hall too, but I guess the question is which sub don't we do instead? Hall on for AG instead of Miggy maybe?

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

Perhaps it's less to do with the players coming off and more to do with the players coming on. Targett wouldve come on to replace Burn if that was needed. All the players who came on are ones who will almost certainly be getting minutes in the next 2 weeks, Hall probably won't be.

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Perhaps it's less to do with the players coming off and more to do with the players coming on. Targett wouldve come on to replace Burn if that was needed. All the players who came on are ones who will almost certainly be getting minutes in the next 2 weeks, Hall probably won't be.

Right. But it seems a pity that Hall doesn't seem to have forced his way into more serious contention yet. All the usual "he's still young" caveats apply, but I'd have thought 20 minutes in a zero risk scenario like this would be ideal.

Lad’s been at the club 8 weeks. Give it time. Everyone knows he’s an exceptional talent and Eddie will know what he’s doing. Pretty sure he’ll be in for the Man United game.

If Isak struggled with being "Eddie fit", then I think it's fair to assume a young lad who had no pre season will have even more work to do. 

Every day on the training ground he's becoming a better player, of that you can be assured. 

2 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

I’m presuming an obligation to buy includes the player wanting to stay, which he might not if he isn’t getting any sort of game time even when we are winning 4-0.

I believe obligation to buy will mean that contracts have already be signed. Otherwise it's not an obligation to buy.