Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

Rodri, Kovacic and Foden won them that game, outstanding from Man City, very difficult game but our defence was phenomenal, Schar and Botman stopping Haaland. Tripper and Burn were also very good. Not fussed about the result, think we can match them better at SJP with some more time for our new signings to integrate.

They've won 17 games at the Etihad in a row. There's no "we're not there yet." No one is, that's the point. You need a lucky bounce or a worldie or them well, well off it to get anything there. 

Annoying as fuck but whatever. Into those horrific, horrific, red, teeth-grinding cunts next Sunday.

A 1-0 battling loss at the Etihad is as good as you could ever ask for realistically. We're getting closer to them, but they're so far beyond any other team it'll take years.

Our season isn't defined by this game. Anything from it is a bonus. The fact we didn't lose a substantial amount of goal difference is handy.

Now let's go and smash Liverpool.

Edited by 54

Typical the ref blows 5 seconds after 5 minutes while we're about to attack as well. they wasted at least 1 and a half minute there.

Thought we did ok, when we had our moments the passing was far too inaccurate.

Man city are just better than us and if we're honest Haaland probably should have scored a couple.

They just have a bit too much and they have upped their game against use then the two games we had last season. They clearly saw us as a threat.

A great goal was the difference.

We were not our best, but we gave them a game. They won’t have many games as hard this season, certainly not in the league in anyway.

Felt like that was a poor performance tbh. Especially on the ball, looked nowt like ourselves, looked like the ones who played midweek. That we only lost 1-0 at a ground we usually get slapped at probably is a testament to how far we've come. 

Did feel we played better there last season, mind.

Far too considered passing backwards when the ball needs to go up. Ah well. 

Disappointing result and performance. But nowt to be worried about given the opposition. Real eye opener for the new boys. Tonali especially who was the pick of the midfield three. Bruno got better as the game went on but overall so much sloppiness against the best team in the world. We will get better as we go I am sure. Especially with Willock coming back and the new boys bedding themselves in. 

Just now, NUFC said:

Reckon were probably 5 years away from City tbh

City are unearthly in football terms. It's a pointless aspiration imo, and pointless measuring yourselves against them. Losing at the Etihad means fuck all. 

I'm choosing to hold onto the positives here. 

We bloodied their nose, caused them problems, we just didn't have the quality or composure in the moments that mattered. If that's how close we can run the treble winners then we're doing something right. 

I think the team still picks itself largely, but yeah, I'm not going to cry over a narrow loss to Man City. They're the bar, we'll get there.

I liked what most of the subs brought. The only one I couldn't quite see a positive with was Longstaff. I worry the lack of regular football may harm him and exacerbate his shortcomings on the ball. 

Edited by Viana