Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

Man for man I think we can compete. Tactically they were one step ahead of us and they have the ability to unleash players like Foden in areas of the pitch that will hurt us time and again.

We're not quite there yet. We gave them almost too much respect. Seemed to snatch at any half chance we got instead of playing how we usually can.

Mentally the players need to step up and not be intimidated by games like this and the manager also needs to come with a better game plan. In hindsight I would have started with some of the players who came on late and unleashed “first teamers” when the game opened up a bit.

4 minutes ago, Shak said:

Just a dull game, that :lol:

Anyway, think we've nowt to be concerned about after that.

Think we can match City on terms of how we set up and our energy.

Difference is that they just have better players and when they're on we just can't compete with them. They were missing some important players and even then I don't think a single player from our team gets in their starting lineup tonight? Maybe someone ahead of Alvarez? And he of course scored a brilliant goal that decided the game.

I could say it'll take us a few years to get to where they are now but in reality we probably never will, and likely won't have to to win trophies. They're frighteningly good and them regressing seems more likely than any team in England getting to their level.

I don't rate Kovacic, put Tonali or an in form Bruno in his position in that team and they'd probably have a better game.

Just now, gbandit said:

Think that’s the most frustrated Eddie’s looked in a post-match interview. He barely gave anything away but clearly our ball retention would have been extremely disappointing for him 

Hopefully it riles us up for the Liverpool game. I'd happily take tonight's frustration if it means we turn up against them next week. 

I know they just win all the bloody time, but I find them lot so fucking boring to watch personally.

Yes it was only 1 - 0 but it barely felt competitive, just like most of their games. I like the other team to have a go back, but City just take that element out of a game. Fair play.

Our lot will have some frustration to let out on Liverpool after that.

1 minute ago, Displayname said:

Might it be time to let Longstaff go to someone who can utilize his workrate more? He for sure isnt a supersub.

Easily the first to let go if we could find ourselves a good young creative midfielder, probably not this summer or in January though.

Edited by Aiston

Just now, Displayname said:

Might it be time to let Longstaff go to someone who can utilize his workrate more? He for sure isnt a supersub.

Aye, let’s get rid of one of our very few homegrown players.

Just now, Rich said:

I generally don’t think Burn is up to much at LB in possession, but he was quality tonight I thought. Better defensively than offensively, obviously, but didn’t find myself griping at him much. Certainly not when compared to a few others!

Defensively great in that second half. Do worry when he gets too high up the pitch. 

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

Man for man I think we can compete. Tactically they were one step ahead of us and they have the ability to unleash players like Foden in areas of the pitch that will hurt us time and again.

We're not quite there yet. We gave them almost too much respect. Seemed to snatch at any half chance we got instead of playing how we usually can.

Mentally the players need to step up and not be intimidated by games like this and the manager also needs to come with a better game plan. In hindsight I would have started with some of the players who came on late and unleashed “first teamers” when the game opened up a bit.

I can't blame the manager.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

We really can't compete man for man yet.

Just now, Rich said:

Aye, let’s get rid of one of our very few homegrown players.

I can accept 2 goals to put us through to the league Cup final, but I draw the line at an underpar sub performance against the best team in the world

1 minute ago, Jonas said:

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Going cut and thrust against these there is the quickest way to guarantee a loss.

Its not what Palace do whenever they get something there.

It sounded like Howe wanted us to press but we just didn’t know execute. 

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I generally don’t think Burn is up to much at LB in possession, but he was quality tonight I thought. Better defensively than offensively, obviously, but didn’t find myself griping at him much. Certainly not when compared to a few others!

He did ok today. But our threat down the left becomes so limited against organized defenses with him on LB.

I see burn as a player you hoy on when trying to protect a lead not a starter that can't do the job offensively for your team to get gordon up against there aging walker. He had an easy afternoon which I thought would of been our plan to go at him both halves with flash and barnesy. 

One of my favourite games last season was when Brentford ran them ragged.

I was hoping we'd emulate that somewhat and try to be more direct with the ball down the channels against them.

We tried to play a possession style today which we've improved a lot at, but Man City specialized in defending that style.

Think we'll eventually figure out the right strategy. Don't think these lot are unbeatable at all.

I dont think it was too bad.

We just came against a side who were better tactically and blocked all our normal avenues of play which really restricted us. 

It was just one of those games where when plan A doesn't work you really need your attacking players to really step up and none of them did - Almiron in particular was making poor decision all night.  Won't include Isak in that as he was left woefully isolated but I guess that was the plan. Personally, I'd have pulled him to the left and given Walker something different to think about, but overall not particularly surprised nor disappointed by that result.

Hall will be a massive player in games like this. 

Edited by Thumbheed

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I can accept 2 goals to put us through to the league Cup final, but I draw the line at an underpar sub performance against the best team in the world

TBF I don’t think we would have brought Longstaff on except for the amount of yellow cards flying about.