Newcastle United 1-0 Brentford (16/09/23)

Disco

I fucking loved that win. Wilson, man. He is ICE. And strong as fuck. I've never reached the levels of love for him cos Bruce era but I love him today. :lol:

Absolutely mad how dependable he is from the spot, like. And that hold up play, fucking hell. Won everything.

Big big win against a very very good team. Never a pen, but then again never a foul on the GK.

Deserved win. Longstaff certainly allows Bruno to play a more rounded game. I'd like to see Longstaff, Bruno, and (edit)...Tonali :/.

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

Wasn't a clean performance, the first half was a bit of a scrap, but bar that one Wissa chance, I don't think Brentford did anything that particularly bothered us, can't really remember Pope having to make a save. If it wasn't for the nerves given the last couple of game I think most people would have been comfortable in them last 20 minutes.

Second half we where much more confident, and controlled the game, even if we weren't creating chance after chance. You could also tell after the disallowed goal our backs where visibly up too. Not getting to carried away as there are still a few questions be be answered, but thats a performance to build on.

2 minutes ago, McDog said:

Good that Barnes and Gordon got so many minutes as I feel that might be a good combo as the season progresses.

Yeah, was happy with both of their performances. 

Teams that sit in with three centre backs are really awful for us, so their decent deliveries into the box just weren't rewarded today, unfortunately.

Looking forward to seeing more of them playing together down each side.

1 minute ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Big big win against a very very good team. Never a pen, but then again never a foul on the GK.

Deserved win. Longstaff certainly allows Bruno to play a more rounded game. I'd like to see Longstaff, Bruno, and Anderson.

Pen was a right call, and Wilson clearly fouled the keeper. Was holding his arm when GK tried to punch. Good calls both of them.

A tough match against a very physical side who defended spaces very well. Off you go, back to selling Afterdark cds down the quayside, Tommy toucher.

Hopefully that's a springboard match. I totally understand a need to conserve energy and switch up our play, but I hope our full press makes a return at some point because I really miss it and I think our style of play misses it too. 

I think our fans and Brentford will both agree that, as always, referee Craig Pawson, who always looks like he should be tossing a salad at the world's most boring, insufferably middle class dinner party, was absolutely fucking shit.

Pope: 6

Trippier: 7.5

Schar: 7.5

Botman: 7.5

Burn: 8

Bruno: 7

Anderson: 6

Longstaff: 5

Barnes: 6.5

Wilson: 8

Gordon: 7.5

Edited by Kid Icarus

Not a great game, super scrappy. But the second half was much better. Gordon is starting to come very much alive. But our defending leaves a lot to desire at times. So many panic balls just up the field to nothing. Great pen by Wilson as always.