Sheffield United 0-8 Newcastle United (24/09/23)

Disco

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I didn't think it should be but I did think it would be for the ball hitting his hand. Forgot that the whole 'doesn’t matter if it was accidental, it's handball' only applies to the goalscorer.

Yep they were whinging about it on the radio until Pardew of all people quoted the new/current rule and the Shef Utd fan as well as the co-host shut up 🤫 

23 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Reading back through the thread and surprised at the reaction to the first goal and how many of you thought it shouldn’t be allowed. There was absolutely nothing  wrong with it. Clear goal.

It feels harsh but ultimately it's the correct decision 

The law is a little odd in that if Gordon took a shot and scored it would have been disallowed but passing it to Longstaff ended that 

Thankfully the law is written the way it is because disallowing a goal for that level of 'infringement' would be farcical. If anything it made it harder for him to provide the assist because he had to assist his feet to keep it in play. 

The non-pen was a joke of a decision, like. Another VAR corker, that one. 

I’d be fuming if the first goal stood against us.  That’s handball anywhere else on the pitch. He basically controls it with his hand. But according to the rules it’s fine. 

They can’t complain though. When you lose 8-0 at home you have no excuses.  Weak set pieces to concede before they totally gave up. 

5 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

I think we were fortunate today with that result.  We still had the same issues at the start of the game.  Once we scored, then another, they just lost confidence.  I don't mean to be negative but I just don't like our current system.  Eddie will resolve it, we can't maintain this half pres half possession based system.

Jesus fucking Christ.

7 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

These lot were worse than Milan for shirt pulling. Gordon’s was shredded by the half, neck about double in size.

Always wondered why football shirts haven't been designed like rugby shirts in more recent times. Seems like our tops this season are super susceptible to being grabbed, that's 4 times so far already this seaon I've seen one of our players with a ripped shirt from being pulled.

Sheff U were unlucky on the first, which was a common sense handball, if not a "rules of the game" one.

Not lucky at all with goals 2 and 3 though which clinched the match. Goal 2 is a penalty for holding if BDB misses. You could call holding on several different players. Goal 3 was a free kick after that "orange card" challenge. The trip on Gordon should also have been a penalty.

I think the scoreline and performance will write a new history of the season for Sheff U, but it took Man City and Spurs late winners to beat them. Credit to our lads for dispatching them so easily.

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Thought Sky were overly kind to Heckingbottom. 

I remember how they would stick the boot into Rafa when we would lose 2-0 to a top team. Committed for 90 minutes. 

Heckingbottom led one of the most spineless performances ever I’ve ever seen.  

Eliot Anderson was hit by a bottle when the score was only 3-0.

There is a time for sympathy, but not when teams are putting in spineless performances and their fans are throwing shit at the opposition early in the proceedings.

3 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Always wondered why football shirts haven't been designed like rugby shirts in more recent times. Seems like our tops this season are super susceptible to being grabbed, that's 4 times so far already this seaon I've seen one of our players with a ripped shirt from being pulled.

Ban shirts altogether and have the players' upper bodies painted in their teams colours instead. Use non-water-soluble paint.

3 hours ago, Stottie said:

Eliot Anderson was hit by a bottle when the score was only 3-0.

There is a time for sympathy, but not when teams are putting in spineless performances and their fans are throwing shit at the opposition early in the proceedings.

Didn't one of their fans hoof the ball off one of our players? Was watching but missed the incident. 

Did sky even pick up on the bottle incident?