Newcastle United 1-0 Manchester City (27/09/23)

Disco

Well I'm going to have to say it as nobody else will.  Jacob Murphy ....... just get rid.  Not because of that first half miss by the way.  He's put this level of non performance in for FIVE years now.  I can count on one hand the positive contributions he has put in all that time.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Livramento had looked really good, good to see Joelinton back as well.

Yeah, also getting to see that side of his game. Looks like the complete package. He's an absolute beast.

Just now, TRon said:

Man City are nowhere near as good as we are making them look. We've got three or four players who look scared shitless of the ball and it's affecting the others who started off well.

Howe needs to put a rocket up their arse and tell them to grow a pair and get at them.

Really? They look pretty damn good to me. The issue for me is our formation can't cope with their technique and pace given who is starting for us. This is a game we need a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 so we have midfield in numbers to make it harder for them to keep the ball in our half, and look to counter with pace on the break. 4-3-3 only works when your good enough to keep the ball and use it well. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Not dissimilar to the league game, City have bossed the match and while our shape has been good, we've been poor on the ball. The key difference is we've had the best chance of the game.

Livramento and Joelinton have been the picks so far. Tonali has struggled, but bringing him off won't do any good, he needs minutes and confidence. Hall and Miley have had mixed games.

Common Prophet W.

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

Tonali is clearly an 8 rather than a 6.

He's been wank in both so far, unfortunately.

I like the lad and am desperate for him to do well but fuck me the last two games he has been brutal. Just play a pass to a team mate ffs.

1 minute ago, AJ9 said:

Tonali going to be the next one people crucify who will somehow shockingly surprise us that he’s actually good in a few months time. Honestly it’s rinse and repeat with new players and our fans sometimes. They can’t all settle like Bruno and Botman lads.

Seriously. And then a few will revise their stories.

We had the best chance, they dominated possession. Big Joe looking good, Tonali not so much. Dummet looking rusty, Pope can’t kick the ball properly, Hall shaky at the start but improved later on, Livramento looking good in attack and defence, Lascelles doing good. Against a team like City who press you to death you need players with a good touch under pressure and who can fend of players trying to muscle you off the ball and that’s where Tonali, Murphy and Miley ( he gets a pass as he’s young) are letting us down and why the ball comes back at us and we’re under sustained pressure.

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

our performance here & v Milan are utterly baffling. It’s almost like there is no confidence, no belief we can win. 

If we performed differently, i.e open and attacking to placate observers, then they'd be right to have no belief we could win. We obviously couldn't like that.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Is he fuck 

He is like, stop thinking of the name, where he came from and the price and concentrate on how he constantly gives the ball away with big first touches, shit basic passes and dawdling because he has no understand of space or what to do with the ball. I don’t know what he’s supposed to be bringing to this team. I’d hook him for Ritchie. 

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Tonali is not looking great in that 6 role against a team that presses really well.

Touch has been very poor so far. 

Definitely not suited to that role. Not in this league or against teams like this, at least. 

Seemed to be a massive clamour on Twitter to play him deep and all the tactics nerds and analyst/scouting accounts said his touch isn’t good enough and not got the awareness. They weren’t wrong based on this. 

Just now, Joelinton7 said:

He is like, stop thinking of the name, where he came from and the price and concentrate on how he constantly gives the ball away with big first touches, shit basic passes and dawdling because he has no understand of space or what to do with the ball. I don’t know what he’s supposed to be bringing to this team. I’d hook him for Ritchie. 

Reread your username ffs