West Ham United 2-2 Newcastle United (08/10/23)

BlueStar

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I know nobody likes international breaks, but when you have 5 first team level players nursing injuries, it's only a good thing imo. We've done incredibly well since that Brighton match.

True and it's come at a good time for us.......... but its still going to seem like forever!

Anderson getting a lot of stick but to be fair he's probably 5th choice for that LW role when everyone is fit.

Point is a very decent result down there with the squad we had and how knackered we are. After the last few weeks we've had it just seems really daft to be negative or complain about anything right now :lol:

5 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I have a good grip, thanks. Can you point me to any evidence of Elliott Anderson playing well or making a memorable contribution to a match instead of just dismissing my arguments?

Your argument makes no sense - I’m not complaining about the result or its context. I’m saying Anderson isn’t good enough based on visual evidence of him playing football for us.

Is this the first game you've watched this season?

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I tend to agree to be honest. He’s nowhere near the level required at this stage of his development and shoot me, but I don’t see any elite talent.

This is where I’m at with him atm. Preseason performances meant he earned a shot in the squad rather than going out on loan, however I’ve seen nothing at all from him in competitive games. Feels like he is a bit over coached and unable/unwilling to express himself.

Just now, madras said:

True and it's come at a good time for us.......... but its still going to seem like forever!

I'm looking forward to the break, these last 3 weeks have been exhausting, can't imagine how the players feel, i'm tired just watching them :lol: 

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Can you give me an example? 

I’ll give you 3 bits of evidence from today’s match alone:

1. the cross from the right which landed perfectly to feet in the box and in space. He could have pulled back to Isak or shot. He miscontrolled out of play. 
2. the pullback from the right, which landed perfectly to feet, from which he had a very presentable chance. He miscontrolled and lost the ball.

3. The equaliser, where he gave coufal the run of the park.

He literally played well against PSG when he came on. On Wednesday. In the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. That recent enough an example for you? Others off the top of my head - played well against Forest last season and wrongly had a goal ruled out. Played brilliantly against Sheffield United (as did the whole team).

You're using a bad game to write off a 20 year old being good enough to "ever play minutes for us" and trying to dress it up as reasonable. Honestly, give your head a shake.

Just now, 54 said:

Thats just bollocks though isn't it?

He's been a key fixture in a team that over the last few weeks has gone 7 games unbeaten, he's been comfortable in possession, defended well, and has had decent link-up play with Gordon and Burn on the left wing. He wasn't amazing today, but give the guy a break, he's 20 :lol: 

Ok - so still waiting for the example of a good thing he’s done.

Is being “comfortable in possession and defended well” what you want from our attacking midfielders? I think we can do better, like also offering an attacking contribution, which he doesn’t very often. 

The age thing is irrelevant. Old enough, good enough. Simple as. Look at Bellingham. 

12 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Hopefully that’s the last we see of Anderson. Comprehensively not good enough at any aspect of the game to play serious minutes for us.

Dear me.

I think the onus is on you by way of making such a conclusive statement as this rather than on others to disprove you. Anderson didn't have a great game today, but has more than held his own in numerous games this season and Eddie Howe has been full of praise for him. He came on against PSG just a few days ago and caused them problems with his clearly excellent technical ability. To say he is comprehensively not good enough is madness.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

Funnily enough, I thought he had finally got into the game and was making some impact when Eddie took him off.. :lol:

We lost control after the subs I thought.

By that point he’d missed 2 presentable chances and been the main contributor to conceding a goal.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

West Ham with Potter are a Brighton/Villa level side. Moyes is definitely holding them back. 

Must be fucking tragic to watch that most weeks. It wasn't so bad 10 years ago when defensive football was much more prevalent but looks prehistoric in today's league with lots of good footballing teams.

11 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I have a good grip, thanks. Can you point me to any evidence of Elliott Anderson playing well or making a memorable contribution to a match instead of just dismissing my arguments?

Your argument makes no sense - I’m not complaining about the result or its context. I’m saying Anderson isn’t good enough based on visual evidence of him playing football for us.

21 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Hopefully that’s the last we see of Anderson. Comprehensively not good enough at any aspect of the game to play serious minutes for us.

Based off one performance where he hasn't been good, you're suggesting that he never plays for this club again. As a 20-year old youth player who's barely started any PL games in his career. He's been having a great season so far played in his left-central position. Yes - he wasn't playing well, no-one would disagree. But he's otherwise been playing well above par this season and has been doing very well.

As for being 'comprehensively not good enough', far be it from me to question your unsourceable credentials to be able to write off a player so early in their career, but a random bloke called 'Pat Nevin' on the BBC reckons he isn't that bad. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c72l5gwglzdo . Or do you just tend to disagree with absolutely everyone just to be be a contrarian.

I'm hoping that you just take this on the chin and move on, it's not healthy for you nor anyone else to post such negative things about people, especially ones who are born and bred in Newcastle, who are simply trying their best and doing anything their manager asks of them.

Edited by HawK